584,812 active members*
5,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Doosan puma SMX 3100 Multitasking

Doosan puma SMX 3100 Multitasking

Hello everyone, I'm a new user of this forum so first of all thanks to anyone who is going to help me.

In my factory we are trying to improve our working cycles. We produce motorbikes crankshafts, and at the moment our cycle has two phases of turning, then one phase of milling. We are now looking for a machine that could do all the work, and had a look to some multitaskings.

We looked at Okuma Multus U3000, but it's out of our budget, same as DMG NTX.
    then DMG CTX Beta 1200 but it looked overpriced for the real quality you get, and looked not very solid. Mazak integerx had a better price but still looked not like a rigid machine.

We have interrupted cut all day long while turning, so that's our first problem. Then we have to cut gear hobbing on our pieces and many other problems. Also, we would need a machine with a lower revolver and sub spindle to be able to do turning and milling at the same time, one on the first spindle and one on the other. Also, we are in a production process so no single piece, but usually between 200 and 3500 pieces per order.

Anyone got any experience or feedback about the Doosan Puma SMX3100? Is it solid and reliable? What about power skiving gear hobbings? And how does it works with repeatability? Can it hold tolerances between +/-0.02mm in a working day of 16h?

Thanks again to anyone who's going to help!

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

Re: Doosan puma SMX 3100 Multitasking

The SMX is a very good machine for what you are attempting to do. I used to work for Doosan and I taught the SMX classes. It is available with a sub spindle and a lower turret. The lower turret has live tools and the sub spindle has full C axis as well as turning. The machine is normally fitted with a Fanuc System 31iTB-5 CNC so it can run 5 axis simultaneous on the upper path and 4 simultaneous on the lower.
    It is an exceptionally robust machine, capable of machining tough alloys and steels. Yes, it can do gear hobbing. The machine is capable of holding the tolerances you are looking for but please remember that to hold tolerance there are many factors in play such as temps, floor, tooling, workholding, etc.
    It will serve you very well.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasR View Post
    The SMX is a very good machine for what you are attempting to do. I used to work for Doosan and I taught the SMX classes. It is available with a sub spindle and a lower turret. The lower turret has live tools and the sub spindle has full C axis as well as turning. The machine is normally fitted with a Fanuc System 31iTB-5 CNC so it can run 5 axis simultaneous on the upper path and 4 simultaneous on the lower.
    It is an exceptionally robust machine, capable of machining tough alloys and steels. Yes, it can do gear hobbing. The machine is capable of holding the tolerances you are looking for but please remember that to hold tolerance there are many factors in play such as temps, floor, tooling, workholding, etc.
    It will serve you very well.
    Nice. Thanks for your answer! Is it possible to work with both spindles at the same time? Example, turning with the lower turret on the main spindle and milling on the sub spindle with the milling spindle?

Quote Originally Posted by MicMeadow View Post
    Nice. Thanks for your answer! Is it possible to work with both spindles at the same time? Example, turning with the lower turret on the main spindle and milling on the sub spindle with the milling spindle?

Yes it is. It has a Fanuc 31iT-B5 CNC which is a dual path control. You can mill on one path, turn on the other. The upper path is normally to the main spindle, the lower path is to the sub. You can even cross the paths so that the upper goes to the sub and the lower to the main.

You can turn with the upper - mill with the lower, and mill with the upper - turn with the lower. Simultaneously.
    You can even use the sub spindle as a tailstock with G300 function.

Yes it is. It has a Fanuc 31iT-B5 CNC which is a dual path control. You can mill on one path, turn on the other. The upper path is normally to the main spindle, the lower path is to the sub. You can even cross the paths so that the upper goes to the sub and the lower to the main.

You can turn with the upper - mill with the lower, and mill with the upper - turn with the lower. Simultaneously.
    You can even use the sub spindle as a tailstock with G300 function.
    Looks like a great machine. I'm definitely going to ask a quote to the seller here in my country.

Thanks!

Very good!
    You'll be quite happy with it.

Very good!
    You'll be quite happy with it.
    If I'm not bothering you too much, would you put it on the same level of a DMG CTX Beta 1250?

Yes I would.
    Mori is a good tool - no doubt, but the Doosan MX is every bit as good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MicMeadow View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm a new user of this forum so first of all thanks to anyone who is going to help me.

In my factory we are trying to improve our working cycles. We produce motorbikes crankshafts, and at the moment our cycle has two phases of turning, then one phase of milling. We are now looking for a machine that could do all the work, and had a look to some multitaskings.

We looked at Okuma Multus U3000, but it's out of our budget, same as DMG NTX.
    then DMG CTX Beta 1200 but it looked overpriced for the real quality you get, and looked not very solid. Mazak integerx had a better price but still looked not like a rigid machine.

We have interrupted cut all day long while turning, so that's our first problem. Then we have to cut gear hobbing on our pieces and many other problems. Also, we would need a machine with a lower revolver and sub spindle to be able to do turning and milling at the same time, one on the first spindle and one on the other. Also, we are in a production process so no single piece, but usually between 200 and 3500 pieces per order.

Anyone got any experience or feedback about the Doosan Puma SMX3100? Is it solid and reliable? What about power skiving gear hobbings? And how does it works with repeatability? Can it hold tolerances between +/-0.02mm in a working day of 16h?

Thanks again to anyone who's going to help!
    So what did you end up buying? Happy with it?

Quote Originally Posted by laurensschu View Post
    So what did you end up buying? Happy with it?
    We totally changed our plans. After a 4 months analysis, we decided to keep our cycle separeted and bought some Okuma Lathes and now we are about to buy an horizontal machining center.