584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Spindle heats up

Hello, i bought Isacon Power Control Tech A2 series VFD and new spindle ( parameters of both items can see in attachment). Connected VFD to single-phase 220v and three wires of the motor to U, V, W. Everything seems to work fine but the problem is that spindle heats up very fast (cant touch with hands). I noticed that inverter output is 10A but on spindle it is 5A mark. Can this be a problem? Are this 2 items compatible at all? Thank you

Re: Spindle heats up

You have to set up the VFD for your spindle, would running it at 10 amp vs 5 on nameplate be a problem, yes. My guess you have already overheated the windings and its next stop could be the dump. Find your owners manual and set the parameters, or contact the people you purchased it from.
    BTW is it air or water cooled and if water was it connected to same?

Running this spindle slower than 100 Hz can damage it and slower that 130 Hz if its air cooled will overheat it.

Mactec 54 can help you.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Sorry i didnt mention but i set up VFD for this spindle using manual i had in box with VFD, but it is no option to change amps in VFD settings.. It is Air cooled spindle so i was trying to test it on 200+Hz. But i also noticed that spindle starts to heat up a little right after i turn on VFD ( without spinning )

Seller told i should use spindle 300+Hz so it cool down, but i didnt noticed any big changes and it seems weird. So i think maybe they just sold me 2 incompatible items

Sure there are perimeters to change for amps, if not send it back.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Have you checked that the shaft fan is working?

Those shaft fan spindled only self cool properly at higher speeds but if it is working properly, it should not overheat so quickly without a heavy load.

Quote Originally Posted by Bublcsh View Post
    Hello, i bought Isacon Power Control Tech A2 series VFD and new spindle ( parameters of both items can see in attachment). Connected VFD to single-phase 220v and three wires of the motor to U, V, W. Everything seems to work fine but the problem is that spindle heats up very fast (cant touch with hands). I noticed that inverter output is 10A but on spindle it is 5A mark. Can this be a problem? Are this 2 items compatible at all? Thank you
    You have not set the Correct Parameters for your spindle, it is 400Hz and can not be set for any other Hz settings I have a set of parameters for that VFD Drive but won't have access for a few days, if you can't find the correct Parameters to set don't run the Spindle or you will fry if
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Bublcsh View Post
    Sorry i didnt mention but i set up VFD for this spindle using manual i had in box with VFD, but it is no option to change amps in VFD settings.. It is Air cooled spindle so i was trying to test it on 200+Hz. But i also noticed that spindle starts to heat up a little right after i turn on VFD ( without spinning )

Seller told i should use spindle 300+Hz so it cool down, but i didnt noticed any big changes and it seems weird. So i think maybe they just sold me 2 incompatible items
    Try this > https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...131-forum.html