585,557 active members*
3,278 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > drawing threads in bobcad v27

drawing threads in bobcad v27

I been trying to put threads on a 3d drawing of a shaft in bobcad. I found a thread library but cant find out how to do this. I'm not using this for a lathe or milling operation, just trying to make a drawing of some inside and outside threads in bobcad for an .stl file. I have seen videos on other cad programs but not on bobcad. Any help would be great.

Thanks Gary

Re: drawing threads in bobcad v27

It's possible but you need to use 3d modelling techniques to build your thread geometry, I've never needed to model a thread as I make parts not pictures ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It's possible but you need to use 3d modelling techniques to build your thread geometry, I've never needed to model a thread as I make parts not pictures ;-)
    The end result will be a part but i have to draw it first and then get a G-code to send to the machine. No drawing no G-code. Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ggeh View Post
    The end result will be a part but i have to draw it first and then get a G-code to send to the machine. No drawing no G-code. Thanks Gary
    Thread a piece of stock in the simulation and export the finished part as a 3D model.

If you are 3D printing BobCAD isn't the best thing for it, I use Blender for 3D modelling for 3D printing, it handles meshes better.

I been trying to put threads on a 3d drawing of a shaft in bobcad. I found a thread library but cant find out how to do this. I'm not using this for a lathe or milling operation, just trying to make a drawing of some inside and outside threads in bobcad for an .stl file. I have seen videos on other cad programs but not on bobcad. Any help would be great.

Thanks Gary
    I have done it in V27 but it is a lot of steps

Had to draw an inner and out spiral and then the thread profile and break it in halves and attach it to the spiral and then skin and then add all surfaces together
    much easier to just drag a part in from another program.

RAF

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Thread a piece of stock in the simulation and export the finished part as a 3D model.

If you are 3D printing BobCAD isn't the best thing for it, I use Blender for 3D modelling for 3D printing, it handles meshes better.
    Thanks for the info. Ill see if I can find Blender and take a looksee. Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    I have done it in V27 but it is a lot of steps

Had to draw an inner and out spiral and then the thread profile and break it in halves and attach it to the spiral and then skin and then add all surfaces together
    much easier to just drag a part in from another program.

RAF
    That sounds complicated beyond my knowledge of bobcad. I was thinking I just missed something because I seen a thread library and assumed some where I would enter the thread size and pitch and be done, just didn't know how to go about it. Bobcad seems like such a powerful cad program I would of thought it would be a copy and paste. I purchase a cnc plasma table in 2014 and bobcad is the cad program it came with , so that's what I been doing my 2D drawings on. I just got a 3D printer and seen I could save my drawings as .stl files so rather than learning a new cad program I that I would try using Bobcad for the 3D geometry also.
    Well thank you very much for the how to explanation.
    Gary

I was thinking I just missed something because I seen a thread library
    That's for cutting threads, not building models ;-)