584,817 active members*
4,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Treadmill motor/drive help

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    His link just pointed to DC motors!?
    IK,R? I went up their page menu from there to DC motors to controllers and found USD264 was the cheapest reversible one they had.

But around here on the local market sites, there is at least one treadmill every week not working-free pick up, usually the motor is OK and the MC2100 PWM controller is used in quite a few.
    So I agree it is not a bad means of general purpose spindle, once upon a time, DC spindles were virtually the norm.
    Al.
    There might be better ways of doing a motor with a bit of go and speed control (even looking at a heavy duty hobby BLDC motor and an O-Drive), but I doubt you'd find cheaper than the trusty old treadmill.

Treadmill motors are setup like RC car brush motor with the brushes advanced or retard in relation to the permanent magnets.
    I think the brush mount needs modifying to have zero advance for equal performance in forward or reverse.
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

It is the MC2100 that requires a 20Hz PWM signal to run, I have built a Picmicro that runs these with STOP/START PB's.
    Also there is a resister you can remove if you don't want the feature that requires you set the pot to zero before going into run.
    Al.
    I have the MC2100. I'd like to disable the feature that requires you to set the pot to zero before going into run. Which resistor do I need to remove.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Page 2 of 2 12