584,812 active members*
5,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Router Way Covers Not Allowing Full Rage of Motion

Hybrid View

Router Way Covers Not Allowing Full Rage of Motion

Hello,

We're having a problem with our shop CNC Router.

The accordion/bellows way covers that protect our x axis ways are deteriorating in such a way that they are no longer allowing full range of motion. The left side is particularly bad, not allowing the tool to travel all the way to the left side of the 48"x48" table. The tension becomes too great at about 3" away, triggering the machine's soft stop. I think it might have something to do with heat and humidity as we're in Hawaii. I've attached a picture.

The covers themselves are 10" tall by 8" wide, and they wrap all the way around the gantry, the table is 48" square.

This is a very old machine, from the 80's I think, that my father retrofitted some time ago. I can't find any markings or brand names.

I'm looking to replace these covers. I've had a hell of a time searching, and can't find what I need, can anyone help?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Router Way Covers Not Allowing Full Rage of Motion

Okay I'm embarrassed. I think I figured it out. Chips have been collecting in the bottom portion of the ways, causing the impedance. Now to figure out how to clean it out without disassembling the whole thing.

Chuckle.
    It is only when you try to explain the problem to someone else (who may even understand nothing of what you are saying) that the solution becomes obvious. Happens all the time.

Cheers
    Roger

Isn’t this the truth!!! Usually while you are explaining and the solution dawns on you there is a period of silence and a goofy stare. Often that is followed by a slap to the head. Sometimes it is funny other times embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Chuckle.
    It is only when you try to explain the problem to someone else (who may even understand nothing of what you are saying) that the solution becomes obvious. Happens all the time.

Cheers
    Roger

Don’t be embarrassed, it happens to all of us.

If you decide to make/buy new way covers here is one potential manufacture: https://www.gardanmfg.com/. There are literally dozens of people building all sorts of way covers so shop around. Some of these builders can do custom from your specifications.

Perhaps the closed bottom on the bellows was not such a good idea after all? It traps stuff you would prefer have fall out.

I made up some covers for my machine out of stiff plastic. Concertina shaped so they compress up. Yes, I do have to clear the stuff off them regularly, but they cost 'nothing' and they do 99% of the job. I thought I would have to replace them regularly (and could), but the first set has lasted for years so far.
    Attachment 422872

Cheers
    Roger