584,858 active members*
4,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Stripped the column cap head screws on g0704
Page 1 of 2 12

Stripped the column cap head screws on g0704

I managed to over tighten and strip the screws that attach the column to the base on my g0704.

They are m12 cap head screws near the base there are 4 of them. Is it even possible to extract these?

I stripped two of them like an idiot.

Re: Stripped the column cap head screws on g0704

Did you actually strip the threads or the socket head?

If the socket head, you can drill the heads off. Just drill with a body sized drill bit until the head pops off. Slow speed and a lot of pressure, these are hard bolts. Then remove the column and remove the rest of the screw, or maybe you can screw it out with a pair of needle nose pliers
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Did you actually strip the threads or the socket head?

If the socket head, you can drill the heads off. Just drill with a body sized drill bit until the head pops off. Slow speed and a lot of pressure, these are hard bolts. Then remove the column and remove the rest of the screw, or maybe you can screw it out with a pair of needle nose pliers
    Yeah the socket head I meant. So if I drilled the head of the socket head cap screw...it will just pop off? Is the head the only part holding the column against the base?

Thank you for such a quick reply.

I was thinking of using a hex bit driver and jbweld it and leave it 24 hour over night

Quote Originally Posted by addman16 View Post
    Yeah the socket head I meant. So if I drilled the head of the socket head cap screw...it will just pop off? Is the head the only part holding the column against the base?
    That's pretty much the way a bolt works

Thank you for such a quick reply.
    My pleasure

I was thinking of using a hex bit driver and jbweld it and leave it 24 hour over night
    That might work also.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Once you have taken off the head of the last bolts what might happen to the part that is freed?Consider very carefully the possibility that a large and heavy piece of machinery might land on your head.

Wouldn't fancy drilling it myself.
    I'd see if I could knock an imperial size bit in the bolt heads if the heads are metric.
    Or I'd grind a slot across the bolt head and use something with a flat end to screw it off.

Go buy a screw extractor set. They make them for SHCS.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-5...24363678&psc=1

The Imperial to metric method works. Assuming there is a slightly large Imperial size, just hammer it in and then turn.

Or you can grind a slightly large allen to a hexagonal taper, hammer it in, and then turn. That has worked very well for me.

I've also had good luck with left handed drill bits, you start drilling, pretty often the drill bit will grab and turn the bolt. If it does't grab, you just drill the head off.

If you can find a star bit of the right size which is a tight fit, it'll take the screw out. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that hex bolts are engineered to strip out before any permanent damage should occur.

To be honest, Im a bit scared to drill the head off, considering that the bolt is under lots of tension, wouldnt the head fly off if I drill it off?

No. The head would be captured by the drill bit, but it wont release with any appreciable force. You've never drilled the head off a bolt, obviously, nothing wrong with that though. All of the recommendations here are totally reasonable and safe. Pick one that suits you and go for it.

If you have enough room to work, the easiest way would be cutting a screwdriver slot in the bolt cap with a small angle grinder.

Never going to be able to loosen a madly torqued 12mm bolt with a screwdriver slot. If he has that kind of access then the absolute easiest way is to weld the shank of a bolt to the existing bolt and just use a wrench to take it off. The heat from welding will also tend to loosen things. Doesn't matter though because he doesn't have the room for either of those options on those bolts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Never going to be able to loosen a madly torqued 12mm bolt with a screwdriver slot.
    Doesn't have to be a screwdriver per se, could be just a large tool with enough torque.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Never going to be able to loosen a madly torqued 12mm bolt with a screwdriver slot. If he has that kind of access then the absolute easiest way is to weld the shank of a bolt to the existing bolt and just use a wrench to take it off. The heat from welding will also tend to loosen things. Doesn't matter though because he doesn't have the room for either of those options on those bolts anyway.
    If the thread is stripped its gonna be under little or no pressure anyway! If there are still two bolts / screws that are under tension the there is no chance with the head / column falling. What sort of Gorilla torque were you using to strip HT M12 bolts ? ? ? Personally i'd try a LH drill bit - if the head has to come off anyway, the LH drill may catch and screw it out ?

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    If the thread is stripped its gonna be under little or no pressure anyway! If there are still two bolts / screws that are under tension the there is no chance with the head / column falling. What sort of Gorilla torque were you using to strip HT M12 bolts ? ? ? Personally i'd try a LH drill bit - if the head has to come off anyway, the LH drill may catch and screw it out ?
    It sounds as if the hex that the allen wrench fits into is what is stripped. If that is the case then the bolt will still be under terrific torque.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Doesn't have to be a screwdriver per se, could be just a large tool with enough torque.
    Regardless, the bolt in question is recessed in a counterbore so you can't get an angle grinder on it to make a slot anyway.

Just for reference, these are the bolts the OP is talking about

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0704 column bolts.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	422902

Those tramming blocks are legit. I need to make me some. Somebody should be selling those.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Those tramming blocks are legit. I need to make me some. Somebody should be selling those.
    That's from a screen grab of a YouTube video I found. They do look nice.

Page 1 of 2 12