584,808 active members*
5,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Centroid or DMM Bob + UC400ETH

Centroid or DMM Bob + UC400ETH

Has anyone got working comparisons (used with DMM servos) between the Centroid Acorn vs DMM BoB + UC400ETH.

The DMM BoB looks basic but robust, and the UC400ETH comes with UCCNC, which is well regarded. Seems like the future expansion on the DMM BoB is more limited but you could attach another BoB to the UC400.

The Centroid Acorn comes in a neat package, and the relay board is a nice addition. Both look easy to get up and running, the Centroid is restricted to Step/Dir, don't know whether this is a disadvantage (are there inherently better modes to use with servos)?

Both roughly work out the same price, Centroid being a bit more expensive. I've looked at other controllers but the price does escalate fairly quickly.

Any thoughts, or recommendation for other controller setups, with DMM servos.

Thanks.

Re: Centroid or DMM Bob + UC400ETH

UCCNC is not included with the UC400ETH. It's an additional $60.

Both have their pro's and cons.
    I've been told that the Acorn probably has better motion, and can run smoother and faster in some cases.

Virtually all hobby controls are step/dir only. The exceptions are Linux CNC with an analog control board, and Mach3/4 with an analog control. Most people only use analog control when retrofitting older machines with analog servos.

You can get one of those relay boards from Amazon for $10, and use them with any system.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cheers ger, interesting.

Yes, I meant the package deal they do with UC400, with import/delivery costs, I'm probably looking at around £190. Centroid will be more expensive (£260 min), and that's for the basic version, with pro, and digitizing costing extra.

I like the idea of LinuxCNC but (and i don't really know which Bob+MotionCtl combo to pick) looking at the Mesa stuff, 7I76E for Ethernet + 4I30 4 channel, works out at $400. Is this a better package than the other two options already mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by rvectors View Post
    Cheers ger, interesting.

Yes, I meant the package deal they do with UC400, with import/delivery costs, I'm probably looking at around £190. Centroid will be more expensive (£260 min), and that's for the basic version, with pro, and digitizing costing extra.

I like the idea of LinuxCNC but (and i don't really know which Bob+MotionCtl combo to pick) looking at the Mesa stuff, 7I76E for Ethernet + 4I30 4 channel, works out at $400. Is this a better package than the other two options already mentioned?
    The Acorn Dmm is the best package if you only need 4 Axes, and the easiest to set up
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec, said before but I do appreciate the help.

All the different options are coming out of my ears but I'm starting to home in on the build.

Cheers ger, interesting.

If you want per axis feedback you would use a 7I76E or 7I96 + a 7I85S or 7I89 (these are quite a bit cheaper)

Neither UCCNC or the Acorn can do per-axis feedback (but this is normally not used with step motor systems)

Any thoughts, or recommendation for other controller setups, with DMM servos.
    Hi,
    take a look at RosettaCNC, there is a 4axis or 6axis (with RTCP) using STEP/DIR till 1Mhz per axis.
    Our customers uses often step/dir with brushless and 1Mhz for axis you can get a great precision on brushless step/dir drivers.

https://rosettacnc.com/en/

Some video here: https://www.youtube.com/user/thoth2487/videos

I use UC400ETH + UCCNC + DMM Dyn4 servos and the setup works fine. I can help you if you will go with this setup.

PCW_MESA, shineworld, thank you both for those suggestions
    and OlfCNC, thank you, help like this is invaluable.