585,712 active members*
3,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Align face with a plane

Align face with a plane

Hello All

I get a lot of files from my customers where the model is not sitting in an ideal position to start layout work.

In the attached file I wanted the green face to be sat flat on the X,Y plane, I do manage to get the model into the required position by a lot of jiggling around measuring angles and applying rotations.

Is there a quick way to get a model like this aligned to a particular plane?

Thanks

Barrie
    Barrie @ Composite Specialities Ltd. using BobCAD V29 Mill 3 axis Pro, Geomagic Design, Bricscad V16 and MOI V3

Re: Align face with a plane

When you say layout work you mean, programming the part ?
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Hello Al

Yes programming but also setting up boundaries etc, My OCD makes me want to get the model lined up like it would be on the bed of the machine.

I do heaps of programming with BobCAD probably 3 jobs a day at the moment with multiple setups but this issue bugs me.

Thanks

Barrie
    Barrie @ Composite Specialities Ltd. using BobCAD V29 Mill 3 axis Pro, Geomagic Design, Bricscad V16 and MOI V3

Drives me nuts also. In automotive, the part is oriented with the car center, which is feet away and in a goofy place. The only solution I have found is asking my customer to orient in a specific way. It is particularly challenging in Solidworks.

Wolfman

I dont much like asking my customers do things like that for me, they come to me for solutions not more problems.

Generally I am creating some wireframes usually with the section view tool then making angle measurements back to the X,Y and Z planes and rotating the model accordingly, it is a bit of a work around though.

I thought 0,0,0 on an auto/car was the mid point of the ground plane on the front axle line?

Most of the parts I deal with come from yachts and are sent to me in the orinitation that they sit in the hull assembly.

I think I am going to raise this and the clutzy rotate command as future improvements with BobCAD.

B.

Not a bad idea. Solidworks is what really drives me nuts, as I use the solidworks drawing as a master for the tool design. On some materials I have to re-draw to allow for material changes, but frequently not. Thanks for including in for future BC.

Agree that they come for solutions, but in our case theyu always want stuff the day before you get the drawing;-) If they want it fast, they can help a little.