584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > K40 whisperer w40 laser tube arching from the end of the tube HELP

K40 whisperer w40 laser tube arching from the end of the tube HELP

Hi guys ive just run into an issue with my engraver it was running a job fine it was engraving lovely then suddenly stopped and there was a horrendous cracking sound coming from the back of the machine.
    i pressed emergency stop and then investigated and when the laser if fired there is a massive bolt of electricity coming from the end of the tube and earthing out to the body of the machine every time the machine fires so i am now stumped

ive tried silicon sealant on the end as one of the other threads said but it is still arching

so any help you guys can give would be gratefully received

cheers
    matt
    ant sign and print

Re: K40 whisperer w40 laser tube arching from the end of the tube HELP

Try changing your water with fresh distilled.

LOL changing your water is not going to fix a HV leak to ground. Remove the connection, clean up the burnt areas around the terminal because once it arcs and leaves a carbon trail it will
    keep doing it. Use MEK or acetone or the like. Cut back the HV wire until you get a un-burnt piece to work with, strip back to expose the copper wire and gently attach to the terminal. I have used
    plastic coated wire nut or wire wrap around. When you use silicone use the Red RTV stuff and make sure its set and dried for at least 24 hours. Make sure no metal is touching the wire or terminal
    insert something plastic to keep it away. If your HV wire is to short go to a automotive supply store and buy some copper core HV spark plug wire. Yes you will have to find a store that sells the
    copper core stuff, most of the kids today will be clueless.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

LOL changing your water is not going to fix a HV leak to ground. Remove the connection, clean up the burnt areas around the terminal because once it arcs and leaves a carbon trail it will
    keep doing it. Use MEK or acetone or the like. Cut back the HV wire until you get a un-burnt piece to work with, strip back to expose the copper wire and gently attach to the terminal. I have used
    plastic coated wire nut or wire wrap around. When you use silicone use the Red RTV stuff and make sure its set and dried for at least 24 hours. Make sure no metal is touching the wire or terminal
    insert something plastic to keep it away. If your HV wire is to short go to a automotive supply store and buy some copper core HV spark plug wire. Yes you will have to find a store that sells the
    copper core stuff, most of the kids today will be clueless.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP