585,749 active members*
3,723 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > CNCRP/Avid CNC Pro Ballscrew Z Axis (12") Making Clicking Noise
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: CNCRP/Avid CNC Pro Ballscrew Z Axis (12") Making Clicking Noise

I should add that there is no perception of play (or backlash) in my Z axis. I only corrected the "notchy" top bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    No play anywhere, Bill. The thread started with a question about a clicking noise. Play was offered as a possible cause. I didn't have have any play, and as described previously, I isolated the source of the clicking, which didn't involve play.

Don't you have a different Z axis assembly? Were's talking about the Avid CNC Pro ballscrew Z axis. Good to know your FLA Z axis works well, though.

Gary
    Yes I saw the clicking noise on Avid Z axis, your right mine is not that but the FLA ballscrew axis measures very close as its 23x7 inches. . So I was assuming they made it for FLA.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Yes I saw the clicking noise on Avid Z axis, your right mine is not that but the FLA ballscrew axis measures very close as its 23x7 inches. . So I was assuming they made it for FLA.

I don't believe Avid made the Z axis for FLA. I could be wrong about that, but as I recall from the Saturn 2 I received the two were very different. Avid's design seems considerably more sophisticated. If you go to the Avid site and look up the ballscrew, there's a .step file. Import it into Fusion 360 and you can see the detail. You can turn off various parts (so they disappear) and you peal back the onion, so to speak, and see how it all goes together. Quite a design, but then, the cost reflects its level of sophistication.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    There is a bearing block attached to the stationary back plate just under the servo connection at the top that positions the ball screw in three planes. The double row bearing is housed in that block. The single row bearing at the bottom also positions the ball screw, but only radially. The nature of its mounting suggests the ball screw is intended to slip in the bearing 9or its housing) to accommodate expansion and contraction vertically. It was the bearing at the top that had a notch as I turned it (by hand).

As I recall, the drawing I got from CNCRP of the Z axis was slightly different then what I actually got. I assumed it was simply a progression in their design. I should also mention that I am in the final testing phase of my CNC and it hasn't actually been run yet, so there may be other "gremlins" to chase down.

I opened the .step file from the Avid site, pealed back the layers, and found the bearing you're talking about. I didn't know it was there - I hadn't explored that part of the construction detail. Mine moved smoothly before I attached the stepper, so I'm probably good. Thanks for bringing it up, Marv. It's a good diagnostic step.

It looks like we are in about the same place in our builds.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    I don't believe Avid made the Z axis for FLA. I could be wrong about that, but as I recall from the Saturn 2 I received the two were very different. Avid's design seems considerably more sophisticated. If you go to the Avid site and look up the ballscrew, there's a .step file. Import it into Fusion 360 and you can see the detail. You can turn off various parts (so they disappear) and you peal back the onion, so to speak, and see how it all goes together. Quite a design, but then, the cost reflects its level of sophistication.

Gary

Already did so and it looked just like the one I have installed. I guess your comparing the one you have now to the Saturn 2 routers? The last one you sent back before even taking it out of the box, or off the crate so to speak, is that not correct? I could be wrong that was a least six months ago!

BTW the Avid/CNCRP spindle mount bolted right up to my Z plate, no adjusting bolt holes or location. Used the same holes as my router mount that came from FLA.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Already did so and it looked just like the one I have installed. I guess your comparing the one you have now to the Saturn 2 routers? The last one you sent back before even taking it out of the box, or off the crate so to speak, is that not correct? I could be wrong that was a least six months ago!

BTW the Avid/CNCRP spindle mount bolted right up to my Z plate, no adjusting bolt holes or location. Used the same holes as my router mount that came from FLA.

It's been too long, Bill. I got the Saturn 2 off the pallet and into my shop. I did all of the inspection work in my shop, except for the initial inspection where I saw the washers between the gantry mount and interface plates.

[I]t [the Avid CNC Z axis?] looked just like the one I have installed.
    Now you have me confused. Do you have the Z axis that comes with the Saturn 2, or the Avid CNC Pro Ballscrew Z axis? The Saturn's tramming plate looks Avid's, only FLA's is anodized. However, the Saturn 2's Z doesn't look at all like Avid's. FLA's uses larger linear rails (Avid uses 15mm) and the rest of the configuration is different.

I believe FLA may still get its router mounts from Avid, but anodizes them. They look exactly the same. As far as bolting up to the Z plate, it's just a matter of milling the Z plate so the Avid mount fits. Also, the Z mounting plate doesn't look anything like Avid's. Avid uses a milled piece of aluminum with t slots cut in it. Not even close in appearance.

I talked with Avid late this morning. They confirmed what I concluded about the clicking. No big deal. I took the opportunity to ask about the 80/20 extrusion cut tolerances. Avid doesn't have a special deal with them, but tells me their orders are processed together in batches. Also, Avid does not receive the extrusions for milling them in-house. They are drop shipped from 80/20.

Here's a surprise, though. Avid has a machine shop in California where they make up their own parts. They even make the Ballscrew Z Axis in-house. That information was totally unexpected. I had surmised that Avid was a pretty good sized outfit, but had no idea that they were large enough to have their own machine shop and make their own parts. I don't recall the exact number of milling machines they have, but I think it was about 7 or 9. Impressive!

Gary

I ordered the spindle mount from Avid, it fit perfectly on my FLA on the same place, same screw holes as the other one was mounted. I know FLA did not make the Z on my machine its too good ! So who does that leave, Chinese made.... or was it made by CNCRP/Avid in their shop as its so close in design to the one they sell?

Attachment 423282
    Attachment 423284

I ordered the spindle mount from Avid, it fit perfectly on my FLA on the same place, same screw holes as the other one was mounted. I know FLA did not make the Z on my machine its too good ! So who does that leave, Chinese made.... or was it made by CNCRP/Avid in their shop as its so close in design to the one they sell?

Bill, pretty much all ballscrew/linear rail axes have generic similarities. As I look at the FLA construction vs. Avid's, they are very different in design. Almost night and day, to the extent that ballscrew/linear rail axes can be different. The way the stepper mounts is completely different. The stepper mount is complete different. The bearing plate below the Oldham coupler is totally different. I only see one similarity: they are both Z axes.

I don't see any particular reason why Avid would want to made a special Z axis for a competitor. It's one thing to sell the stock parts to a competitor; quite another to act as the competitor's parts manufacturer. If the FLA axis is manufactured in the U.S., seems to me there are hundreds, probably thousands of machine shops who could make it. No particular reason why Avid would be a better choice. I get the impression from Avid that their machine shop stays very busy making Avid stuff.

Don't get me wrong. It's certainly possible that Avid makes FLA's Z axis. I just doubt it.

As I noted before, no magic in the Avid router mount fitting the FLA axis perfectly. FLA uses Avid mounts. It makes sense that the FLA design would include threaded holes sized and located in the correct spots. Anyone with a mill could do that easily. For me, the mount fitting doesn't imply anything in particular.

Gary

Not needed

Page 2 of 2 12