I am finishing up a 4'x4' 80/20 extrusion custom build. I purchased Avid CNC's Pro 12" Ballscrew Z axis. While in the process of making sure everything works as it should, and adjusting my limit switches, I noticed a clicking noise when moving Z up and down. When I move it up, I get one click. If I move it up again, no click. If I then move it down, I get one click. If I move it further down, no click. So, I get one click with every change in direction. There is no correlation along the travel distance. It clicks no matter where.

I've checked all the couplings. Everything's tight. Before I mounted my NEMA 34 stepper, I manually moved the axis up and down. Everything seemed smooth. I haven't yet measured Z for backlash yet. That's coming up on my to do list in the next couple of days. I'm guessing the click will correlate to some degree of backlash. Oh, and the axis came greased, so that's not an issue.

For those of you with the Pro Ballscrew Z axis, is this click normal? If it is, do you know what's causing it?

Before you make the suggestion, yes, I sent an email to Avid about it late afternoon on Thursday. I thought I might get a reply yesterday, but no such luck. I'll probably receive a reply Monday or Tuesday. I'm posting here so I can possibly get a head start on things. I'm reluctant to move forward, until I get a handle on what's going on.

Thank you in advance,

Gary