584,833 active members*
5,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Eliminateing the water cooling to the ballscrews

Eliminateing the water cooling to the ballscrews

My '97 Fadal 3016 already had bypass the water cooling to the ballscrews in Y and X when I bought it, however it is still connected in the Z. I been reading a few posts about the seals leaking to the thrust bearings that the design in the Fadals is not good since the liquid goes directly to the spinning ball screws.
    I am looking for advice, should I leave the lines connected in Z? If I disconnect Z what would be the point of keeping the chiller? I do worry a bit since it does get hot where I have my machine usually above 100 degrees in summer. Thank you all!

Re: Eliminateing the water cooling to the ballscrews

Get rid of the z cooling.
    It is only there for growth of the screw as temp rises.
    Keep the spindle cooling tho.

Thank you for the reply Deano7/11, that is what I need it to know appreciate it!

So you know, this feature was designed to fight thermal growth of the ballcrews over the days work. When the systems is running properly, I think it is a great way to eliminate thermal growth. Here's the catch, most owners do little no maintenance on their machine. The thrust bearings and seals should be replaced yearly and the dowfrost purged just like you do your car radiator and filled back with good, clean dowfrost. When you pull back the covers to the access your bearing blocks, it is a simple procedure to replace the bearings and seals. It will cost you about $75 per axis and about a day. All worth the money and time spent. When you ignore the yearly maintenance procedures on the machine, it's just like taking care of your car. Change the oil, tighten up the rattles, keep your windows clean, rotate your tires and do a good tune up each year and you you will find little issues with your Fadal or coolant thru system. In a worst case scenario, at least keep the dowfrost running around your spindle to keep it cool. If you need a new refrigerator or any bearings and seals you may need in our store...FadalCNC.com.

FadalCNC Support

Thank you ASIGuy, your post are always insightful.

I find over time the lip seals make a groove in the ball screw sealing surface and even with new seals I have dow frost getting to the thrust bearings.
    It is a good system that adds accuracy to the machines, but can be expensive to maintain if the screws need to be replaced. If would be nice to have
    one more seal in the stack to protect the bearings and a weep hole between them like a automotive water pump.

Did you keep the water cooling or did you remove it?