585,908 active members*
3,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Making Chips With Our New UMC-10

There's been a bit of talk about Dave Decaussin's UMC-10 machine. Well, I bought one (their new company is Fadec Engineering), and installed it in the shop last week. It's machine #0001 so I'm sure there will be some bugs to work out, but so far I've been liking it a lot. I think they're still finalizing pricing, but I'll answer any questions I can about the machine.

Quick specs:
    3hp motor
    6500rpm spindle
    700ipm rapids
    Servos
    Flashcut control
    8-tool changer

I've been out to their shop twice before buying and they've got a bunch in assembly.

Cool!

I'm assuming this is mostly American made.

As to questions, a couple come to mind right away.
    1. X travel is:
    2. Y travel is:
    3. Z travel is:
    4. The spindle taper is:

I'm sure more will pop up.

As to bugs I'd expect some but this does sound like a basic mill and thus should be fairly trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by wileydavis View Post
    There's been a bit of talk about Dave Decaussin's UMC-10 machine. Well, I bought one (their new company is Fadec Engineering), and installed it in the shop last week. It's machine #0001 so I'm sure there will be some bugs to work out, but so far I've been liking it a lot. I think they're still finalizing pricing, but I'll answer any questions I can about the machine.

Quick specs:
    3hp motor
    6500rpm spindle
    700ipm rapids
    Servos
    Flashcut control
    8-tool changer

I've been out to their shop twice before buying and they've got a bunch in assembly.

Very cool! I've been in love with that machine ever since I saw the video of Dave demoing it on YouTube. Wasn't sure whether it was ever going to be generally available...

I'll have to keep an eye out for pricing, and in the meantime I will be keeping an eye on this thread!

Thanks for posting!

@Wizard:

Mostly American made. It's not an imported conversion. Linear ways on welded chromoly tube.

X travel - 14"
    Y travel - 8"
    Z travel - 10"

It uses its own tool holders, not sure the exact taper. It might be R8 with a pull stud. I'll put up a picture at some point.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by wileydavis View Post
    @Wizard:

Mostly American made. It's not an imported conversion. Linear ways on welded chromoly tube.

X travel - 14"
    Y travel - 8"
    Z travel - 10"
    Not bad, a little tight but workable.

This brings up another question, how much clearance under the nose? The obvious issue being how much space you are left with if a vice is installed.

It uses its own tool holders, not sure the exact taper. It might be R8 with a pull stud. I'll put up a picture at some point.
    Pictures are always nice! I was hoping for an ISO 20 or 25 taper or other standardized quick change taper.

How much does it cost

What is the radial runout?

Does it have position feedback with glass scales etc or just rotary encoder from servos?

Ya, it's got an R8 taper with its own tool holder design, pull stud machined along with the body. Taper runout is .0002". We just got done with a 5k pcs run on our first UMC with a fourth, and are off seeing what else we can do. Picked up a second one and started moving jobs off the fadals.

Would you call the UMC-10 the ultimate hobby mill or more a like a vary light production mill?

From what I have seen of Dave's setup I would expect few bugs, This is not his first trip to the rodeo.

What was the cost?

So far they have been keeping up with full production in our job shop.

The servo positioning says .00025", and we saw a 600 pc order run +-.0005 on position all week.

The spindle is 6k, 3hp and grunts.

For $22k, made in the USA and easy to fix just like the fadals, it ain't bad

Checking your email, or invoicing customers on the control while it runs is kinda neat too

Oops...got busy and forgot about this thread

It'd certainly be an awesome hobby mill but we bought it for production at our small business (hondogarage.com) and so far the machine has not disappointed. Dfrolka is right, it's very easy to work on and the pc-based control has advantages...I added a $10 USB wireless to it and sync it with my dropbox account to move programs onto the machine.

Video cutting one of our parts:

wow, that's awesome. the drill doesn't even bog, pretty impressive.

we just got our first big aluminum parts off dave's TMC-10, posting a pic. 3.5" dia x 2.5in slug. final is a .050 wall thickess. the interior is parabolic and had to be programmed with .0001 movements. the flashcut did a pretty good job on the look ahead contouring. ill try and post a pic

Both parts look great! Would love to have a UMC in my shop...

Quote Originally Posted by DFrolka View Post
    A very nice finish on that part. I'm assuming a bit of polishing was done after machining.

yea,, check the photobucket, i added pics pre polished and some other stuff

we made the .025 x 1.0 long d sub contact terminals on the Fadec TMC 10 Lathe, then milled .005 spring terminals on the UMC 10.

Has Fadec gotten a web site up and running.

I only ask because this is the first I've heard of the TMC 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFrolka View Post
    yea,, check the photobucket, i added pics pre polished and some other stuff

we made the .025 x 1.0 long d sub contact terminals on the Fadec TMC 10 Lathe, then milled .005 spring terminals on the UMC 10.

Does anyone have contact info for "Fadec Engineering" ala web, e-mail or phone? thanks.

Web. (805) 660-7053

Wow so his selling these awesome machines now, thats great I've always liked his work from the first time I seen it on YouTube. Great mill 👍

Page 1 of 2 12