584,837 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Rich Auto controller not loading

I have a j cut dual spindle wood router. It has a rich Auto a15s controller. When I turn it on lately the display reads Rich Auto is loading and then nothing else happens. See pictures. Anyone has ever had this problem or know what to do?

Re: Rich Auto controller not loading

You can try the following:

0. Check cables between hand control and CNC machine.

1. Remove the USB stick and try power on.
    1a. The USB stick may be corrupted

2. As above, With the CNC machine powered off, connect the hand control to a PC and see if it powers up
    3. As in 2 above, hold the OK and CANCEL buttons down and connect to a PC
    3a. Disconnect the cable between hand control and CNC machine and try steps 2, 3.

4. As in 3, you might be able to or might need to reload the firmware using the procedure in 3

There is a small troubleshooting section in the manual which can be downloaded from the RichAuto web site. It sort of describes how to reload the firmware (a *.PKG file which can be stored on a USB stick or downloaded from a PC).

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    You can try the following:

0. Check cables between hand control and CNC machine.

1. Remove the USB stick and try power on.
    1a. The USB stick may be corrupted

2. As above, With the CNC machine powered off, connect the hand control to a PC and see if it powers up
    3. As in 2 above, hold the OK and CANCEL buttons down and connect to a PC
    3a. Disconnect the cable between hand control and CNC machine and try steps 2, 3.

4. As in 3, you might be able to or might need to reload the firmware using the procedure in 3

There is a small troubleshooting section in the manual which can be downloaded from the RichAuto web site. It sort of describes how to reload the firmware (a *.PKG file which can be stored on a USB stick or downloaded from a PC).
    ok. thanks for the detail. will try it out and see what happens. if i get to the firmware reload i will be in above my head a bit and may ask for some more assistance. thanks again!

alright. first one. at least so far. i took the usb out and it did the same thing. then cycled it through another off/on and it loaded. so, fingers crossed, it was just a corrupted usb. will get another one and load it up and let you know if it works

Good to hear. Make sure you have a few copies of the configuration.

From main menu, select "Menu" -> "System Setup" -> "Backup Data"

And copy the "data.bak" file to some safe places.

The procedure above is also used to restore if needed.

Good to hear. Make sure you have a few copies of the configuration.

From main menu, select "Menu" -> "System Setup" -> "Backup Data"

And copy the "data.bak" file to some safe places.

The procedure above is also used to restore if needed.
    Ok
    So I went to the store to get a new USB (I don't know how to clean or "uncorrupt" the old one) and loaded the gcode files from my computer hard drive (not from the old USB) on it.

Then, when I turned the machine on again (without yet putting the new USB in, and with no USB in the controller at all) the same problem occured where it gave me the RICH AUTO IS LOADING message. It was doing this intermittent functioning previously. The controller would load successfully once in many on/off cycles with the old USB in there. Any idea why that would happen?

Now I suppose I need to go back to the process you outlined. Connect my PC to the controller and see if it loads. Would I do that via a USB port to USB port wire connection???

Also, I am not sure I understood what you meant by "configuration" in the last message. Did you mean the various files I had on the old USB or??

Quote Originally Posted by danielcoyle View Post
    Ok
    So I went to the store to get a new USB (I don't know how to clean or "uncorrupt" the old one) and loaded the gcode files from my computer hard drive (not from the old USB) on it.

Then, when I turned the machine on again (without yet putting the new USB in, and with no USB in the controller at all) the same problem occured where it gave me the RICH AUTO IS LOADING message. It was doing this intermittent functioning previously. The controller would load successfully once in many on/off cycles with the old USB in there. Any idea why that would happen?

Now I suppose I need to go back to the process you outlined. Connect my PC to the controller and see if it loads. Would I do that via a USB port to USB port wire connection???

Also, I am not sure I understood what you meant by "configuration" in the last message. Did you mean the various files I had on the old USB or??
    The USB memory stick is just that. Plug it into your Windows PC and using File Manager, Right click it, select "Properties", "Tools" and you can try "Error Checking" to fix it, otherwise try formatting it as FAT-32.

I don't have an A15 controller (have an A11) but AFAIK the RichAuto DSP handles are all quite similar. On the bottom where the main 50 pin cable connects, there should be a USB type B connector. This lets you connect the DSP to your PC and can also provide power if your PC can deliver enough.

Leaving the CNC machine off and connecting the PC and DSP, the DSP should power up normally. If it does not, try removing the 50 pin cable and try again. Be careful with the plugs as the pins are fragile.

If it does not work reliably/properly with the 50 pin connector connected then I'd look at the 50 pin cable and the BOB end. If it works properly/reliably with the 50 pin connector disconnected, then again, the cable or something at the BOB board end might be bad. Perhaps a bad power supply or a signal wire that is shorted/open. Limits, servo fault or other signal lines depending on what your machine has. Dust or other crap in the electronics or even vermin that has visited and left "calling cards".

While powered from the PC and started normally, the "System Setup" menu has a "Auto Upgrade" option. From there you can load the firmware file. The firmware filename ends in ".PKG" and can be downloaded from the RichAuto web-site. Make sure you get the correct file.

Before attempting to change the firmware, use the procedure above to get a backup of the DSP configuration file.

The configuration file contains the settings for the machine such as steps per unit for the motor/motion hardware config of your machine along with travel rapids, max movement speeds, soft travel limits, acceleration and the other parameters your machine needs.

The files you had on the USB stick (*.nc or whatever names you use) are the machining tool-path files for your parts and have nothing to do with the machine configuration.

If you hold down the "OK" and "CANCEL" buttons on the DSP and then connect the DSP to the PC, the DSP will start in "Flash Disk Mode". In this mode the DSP appears as a USB stick to the PC and you can copy files to/from it. This method also lets you put a copy of the firmware file (ending with PKG) into the DSP.

Good luck!

In fact ,your DSP A15 control system need a update about software.

The USB memory stick is just that. Plug it into your Windows PC and using File Manager, Right click it, select "Properties", "Tools" and you can try "Error Checking" to fix it, otherwise try formatting it as FAT-32.

I don't have an A15 controller (have an A11) but AFAIK the RichAuto DSP handles are all quite similar. On the bottom where the main 50 pin cable connects, there should be a USB type B connector. This lets you connect the DSP to your PC and can also provide power if your PC can deliver enough.

Leaving the CNC machine off and connecting the PC and DSP, the DSP should power up normally. If it does not, try removing the 50 pin cable and try again. Be careful with the plugs as the pins are fragile.

If it does not work reliably/properly with the 50 pin connector connected then I'd look at the 50 pin cable and the BOB end. If it works properly/reliably with the 50 pin connector disconnected, then again, the cable or something at the BOB board end might be bad. Perhaps a bad power supply or a signal wire that is shorted/open. Limits, servo fault or other signal lines depending on what your machine has. Dust or other crap in the electronics or even vermin that has visited and left "calling cards".

While powered from the PC and started normally, the "System Setup" menu has a "Auto Upgrade" option. From there you can load the firmware file. The firmware filename ends in ".PKG" and can be downloaded from the RichAuto web-site. Make sure you get the correct file.

Before attempting to change the firmware, use the procedure above to get a backup of the DSP configuration file.

The configuration file contains the settings for the machine such as steps per unit for the motor/motion hardware config of your machine along with travel rapids, max movement speeds, soft travel limits, acceleration and the other parameters your machine needs.

The files you had on the USB stick (*.nc or whatever names you use) are the machining tool-path files for your parts and have nothing to do with the machine configuration.

If you hold down the "OK" and "CANCEL" buttons on the DSP and then connect the DSP to the PC, the DSP will start in "Flash Disk Mode". In this mode the DSP appears as a USB stick to the PC and you can copy files to/from it. This method also lets you put a copy of the firmware file (ending with PKG) into the DSP.

Good luck!
    So, shortly after I got this last message the DSP loaded up again. Since then I have been keeping it "on" so that I don't lose it. Recently I had to turn it off and now it is not loading again and I am trying your recipe. I can't get the DSP to turn on at all using my PC whether it is connected by the 50 pin or not. Any ideas? Anything I might be missing from what you explained? The DSP still turns on when connected to the CNC router but doesn't load.

Should I connect the PC to the DSP while the CNC machine is on and attached to the DSP? This is the only way I am able to turn the DSP on currently

With the CNC machine turned off, connect the USB cable between PC and A15. If it does not power on, try a different USB port on the PC. Alternately, try using a powered USB hub.

Another option is:

1. Ignore the PC but
    2. Put a copy of the latest firmware on a USB stick. You can either plug the USB stick into the A15 before or after step 3 (prolly better after)
    3. Power up the CNC machine with the controller connected. It has to start to continue
    4. Select MENU -> SYSTEM SETUP -> Auto Upgrade
    5. Select the source as the USB stick
    6. Upgrade

That should install the new firmware and fix your problem.

Follow the precautions above (backup the system configuration etc first). If the controller then starts in Chinese, there is a procedure to fix that as a YouTube video which should be available on the RichAuto website.

With the CNC machine turned off, connect the USB cable between PC and A15. If it does not power on, try a different USB port on the PC. Alternately, try using a powered USB hub.

Another option is:

1. Ignore the PC but
    2. Put a copy of the latest firmware on a USB stick. You can either plug the USB stick into the A15 before or after step 3 (prolly better after)
    3. Power up the CNC machine with the controller connected. It has to start to continue
    4. Select MENU -> SYSTEM SETUP -> Auto Upgrade
    5. Select the source as the USB stick
    6. Upgrade

That should install the new firmware and fix your problem.

Follow the precautions above (backup the system configuration etc first). If the controller then starts in Chinese, there is a procedure to fix that as a YouTube video which should be available on the RichAuto website.
    Thanks. No USB port worked to turn it on.
    Regarding step 3 and further, when I turn on the DSP using the CNC Machine power it simply says "RichAuto system is loading..." and nothing else happens. No opportunity to see or access MENU or anything else. Any thoughts? Do you think this is a controller problem? the cable? the board in the machine? any way to diagnose? Once in a blue moon it DOES load but that has become less and less frequent so that I have to turn the machine on/off more and more times to get that result. So, it has still been possible. Currently I have turned it on/off several dozen times today without success of getting it to "load".

OK,

1. Check your power supplies have correct voltages
    2. Try the Emergency Start (Mentioned earlier I think?). Have a copy of the latest firmware (*.PKG) file on a USB stick, plugged into the handset first.
    3. See this article for the emergency procedure and use the CNC machine for power as it "seems" to be working.

https://www.eaglecnctec.com/news/15.html

I'd also guess the USB cable you have is only a data cable and won't supply power so try a different cable.

OK,

1. Check your power supplies have correct voltages
    2. Try the Emergency Start (Mentioned earlier I think?). Have a copy of the latest firmware (*.PKG) file on a USB stick, plugged into the handset first.
    3. See this article for the emergency procedure and use the CNC machine for power as it "seems" to be working.

https://www.eaglecnctec.com/news/15.html

I'd also guess the USB cable you have is only a data cable and won't supply power so try a different cable.
    Ok. So, I did not know about the various cables, data only and power capable. I found another USB cable and it was able to power up the DSP direct from my PC. However, I still only got the same "RichAuto is waiting to load..." display. Sooo, it seems like that would mean what then?

I went to the RichAuto website Download Beijing RichAuto S&T Co. Ltd and am downloading the A15 Standard Upgrade now and will use the link you sent to try things out. Wish me luck.

I downloaded the pkg file to the usb and used the emergency operation and was able to see the predicted displays in the emergency pdf you linked. I tried to upload the update pkg file but got a display saying the file I was trying to upload was "damaged or cracked" so I am going to read the repair manual to see if/what i am missing

ok. so i have tried to update from two different usb's and from my computer (no luck). Both times when I downloaded the pkg file from the richauto site to the usb i got the "file is cracked or broken" when i tried to open it to upgrade on the dsp. any ideas? is there another way to get that upgrade file or ??? i feel like i am just one step away now.

Sounds like some progress at least.

The RichAuto website download page is here: Download Beijing RichAuto S&T Co. Ltd

Ensure the file is downloaded as a binary file (depends on how you downloaded it).

Another option might be to load the image into the DSP's "inner" memory and try from there.

1. Leave the CNC machine off and remove the USB stick from the DSP
    2. Connect the DSP to the PC using the "flash drive mode" (hold down two buttons and connect USB cable)
    3. From the PC, copy the firmware to the DSP handle (they call the DSP internal storage "inner memory").
    4. Try the Emergency upgrade and use the image in the DSP.

If that doesn't work, try contacting RichAuto directly. They have a FaceBook page to which they do respond but not very quickly from what I've noticed.

Here is a copy of the A15 firmware (from the above). It is not a ZIP file so just rename (remove) the ".zip" from the filename (I added it to allow it to upload here).

Good luck!

Another thought, They might have a bad image (if so the one I downloaded might be bad too). If that's the case definitely advise them of what you are seeing.

Ok. So, when I start the DSP with my computer, holding down two buttons on the DSP, I cannot get it to go into "flash disk mode" and even though i have powered the dsp up with the pc the pc doesn't 'see' it. IT does not show up as a device connected to the PC. The site you gave to download the file/upgrade from is the same one and the file link you provided is the same one I already downloaded but could not upload to the dsp.

also, i don't know what it means (or how to ) to download something as a binary file.

i will see if i can get them to respond on facebook and let you know how it goes. thanks for the help. still feels like i am moving toward something. let me know if you have any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by danielcoyle View Post
    I have a j cut dual spindle wood router. It has a rich Auto a15s controller. When I turn it on lately the display reads Rich Auto is loading and then nothing else happens. See pictures. Anyone has ever had this problem or know what to do?

If you need update file ,send email to [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12