584,340 active members*
6,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mikinimech > New upgrades to the ole Mikini. Servos!
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

New upgrades to the ole Mikini. Servos!

After having a bunch of studdering issues and losing position with my stepper motors I decided to fix it with 750w DMM servos. Along with a host of other upgrades.

First I had to upgrade the power distribution panel
    Attachment 423288

Then I had to build the servo control cabinet
    Attachment 423290

I mounted it to the side of the Mikini
    Attachment 423292

I had to drill and tap for more armored conduit runs
    Attachment 423294

I then mounted the motors (having to do some cutting on the way covers since the servos are longer)
    Attachment 423296
    Attachment 423298
    Attachment 423300
    Attachment 423302
    warmachinellc.com

Re: New upgrades to the ole Mikini. Servos!

I designed some new way cover extensions and am having them made from stainless steel
    Attachment 423304
    Attachment 423306
    Attachment 423308
    Attachment 423310

Then I rearranged the rear cabinet after removing the stepper drivers
    Attachment 423312

I replaced the three proximity switches on the X axis that all quit working (because they are the only ones mounted upside down, need to seal them with silicone to keep coolant out)
    Attachment 423314

Built a new Rex84 Ver2.0 to get the drive fault working for fear of the powerful servos breaking stuff if the spindle stalls
    Attachment 423316

Made some mods to Mach3 with brains to get the servo drive faults to trigger an e-stop
    Attachment 423318

Ultimately this was again a seamless upgrade as all of the Mikini front panel controls work exactly the same as before, as well as the Mach3 controls.
    warmachinellc.com

Made a bunch of changes and upgrades to the Mach screen set I use. Most notably a rapid feed override, distance to go DRO, G90/G91 toggle, and work offset toggle.
    Attachment 423320

Made a drawer slide system to more easily slide out the coolant tank for access
    Attachment 423322
    Attachment 423324
    Attachment 423326
    Attachment 423328
    Attachment 423330

Before and after pics of scraping the crappy peeling paint and repainting it (still ongoing). I also replaced all of the armored conduit and fittings (which were falling apart)
    Attachment 423332
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190524_120806.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	423334
    warmachinellc.com

Awesome. Nice job on the overhaul.

Especially as I have 4x DMM 750's waiting to get stuffed in my 1610L pretty shortly. I'm upgrading the controller & spindle (againg) at the same time so it'll be a total retrofit.

The blue coils at the top of your electrical enclosure... line reactors? You find them necessary, or are just going by the 'optional' in the DMM manual and seemed like a good idea?

Also, the green breakout boards for the servos... source? They look handy.

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    Awesome. Nice job on the overhaul.

Especially as I have 4x DMM 750's waiting to get stuffed in my 1610L pretty shortly. I'm upgrading the controller & spindle (againg) at the same time so it'll be a total retrofit.

The blue coils at the top of your electrical enclosure... line reactors? You find them necessary, or are just going by the 'optional' in the DMM manual and seemed like a good idea?

Also, the green breakout boards for the servos... source? They look handy.
    Thanks! Nice! What spindle are you upgrading too? BT30? What controller?

Yes those are line reactors, I spoke with DMM throughout the entire build process and they recommended line reactors.

I have two breakout board types I'm using there. One type are 2x8 pin header breakout boards so I can use the the same cables that connected to the previous stepper drivers to the Mikini front panel. The other type are just DB25 breakout boards. I found them both on Amazon. I think I just found the cheapest ones. I also bought some DIN rail mounts so I could just mount them to DIN rails. I actually have the DMM breakout board but was unable to get the Mikini DIR signals to work correctly to change the motor direction. So ultimately I just built my own breakout using four DB25 breakout boards.

DB25 breakout boards: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2x8 pin header breakout boards: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Extra DIN rail mounts (if needed): https://www.amazon.com/Sysly-Mountin...9S7KDRD1VX8KZN
    warmachinellc.com

doubletap
    warmachinellc.com

Thanks for the details. DMM gave me a good diagram to connect to my BOB - they're good folks to deal with.

Spindle is a 10k BT30 bought from Skyfire. I have to pull the head and bore it out as it's 90mm vs the 80mm R8 that's in there now. I'm tired of TTS pullout, and I want an ATC.

Spindle motor is a Parker servo with one of their Gemini drives. Ebay find, pretty cheap - biggest servo they make that stil runs on single phase 220v. I have a BlackMax induction motor on there now and it's fine, but way too heavy and large.

Since I'm pulling the head, I also plan to pull the column and experiment with epoxy granite fill, but more importantly I'm adding a plate to the back of the column to box it in. If there's one bad mechanical design it's the open-back column. Floppy as a noodle - boxing it with some 1/4" or 3/8" plate should stiffen things up quite a bit.

And while the column is off I may try to reverse the Z-ball screw and stick the Z servo on top. Mine is a fairly early model with no opening in the base - if I don't reverse the ballscrew I'll have to cut a hole through the base so the DMM can hang down lower.

I'm currently running UCCNC, having gutted the electronics a couple years ago. Original steppers, drive and toroid remain, but that's it. New version will still use UCCNC, but with way more I/O and a 24V-only control system. No more 5/12/24 mess in the same machine.

And thanks for the tip on the DB25 boards.

Source for the line reactors? Those look pretty compact & tidy.

Nice a BT30 will be my next upgrade if I don't jump to a new machine by then. I also have a 2hp Black Max spindle motor and wish it had a tad more power. If I upgrade that may be with a 3-4 hp servo.

I've also thought about the epoxy granite fill. On the next round of maintenance I may completely disassemble the machine and have everything powder coated and I may do the epoxy granite fill.

The cast iron base is fairly easy to cut through with a hole saw and a sawzall. I had to do that in a few places to get things to fit.

The line reactors I just found on ebay. They are quite big and heavy and rated for 12A each.
    warmachinellc.com

Thanks, I'll start trolling for reactors. Yours just look smaller than most of the footed ones I've mounted for various VFD projects.

I've only stalled my 2hp spindle once with a really aggressive cut in aluminum. More HP would be nice, but the flexing and chatter from the column flopping around is driving me crazy. The rails and screws that came on these machines are amazingly accurate (for what it is), but the open-back column is a noodle.

And I suspect the base where the column mounts may also be flexing a bit locally where the bolt holes are. We'll see once I fill it up and box it in.

Thanks, I'll start trolling for reactors. Yours just look smaller than most of the footed ones I've mounted for various VFD projects.

I've only stalled my 2hp spindle once with a really aggressive cut in aluminum. More HP would be nice, but the flexing and chatter from the column flopping around is driving me crazy. The rails and screws that came on these machines are amazingly accurate (for what it is), but the open-back column is a noodle.

And I suspect the base where the column mounts may also be flexing a bit locally where the bolt holes are. We'll see once I fill it up and box it in.
    Can you give me as much info as you can about your BT30 spindle upgrade and PDB please? I've been cutting a lot lately and my R8 spindle get blazing hot now, like too hot to touch for more than a second or so. When I turn it by hand it's starting to feel rough. Probably going to have to replace that too soon.

Thanks!
    warmachinellc.com

I bought a BT30-90 spindle from Skyfire along with their PDB. PDB is a 2-stage matched to the spindle belleville stack. You can see both of them on their web site.

I tried working with the US distributor but he was a total flake - stopped returning my emails. I'm like "Hi, I have many American Dollars for you. Please answer one question, and I'll give them to you." cricket, cricket...

Wound up using the Canadian distributor - very nice guy - but I got hammered in customs and shipping 'cause he had to ship to Canukistan and then to the US. Just email Skyfire. They'll sell directly to you. No issues with delivery or so forth when they forgot to include the PDB mount - they also made me a custom 36T pulley for about $50. If you do buy something from them, make a big shopping list. The spindle is going to go freight and take a while, so you might as well get tool holders and anything else you think is sexy.

An alternative would be same thing from Alibaba or Aliexpress. There are a number of vendors offering BT-30 spindles - some seem crappy, some are using the Skyfire photos, and I believe Skyfire has a store on there as well. There are also air over hydraulic PDB's for very cheap.

This is not an insignificant upgrade. The spindle mounting hole will need to be bored from 80mm to 90mm, and the bolt pattern is different.

In addition, Skyfire has changed the head casting from the original Mikini. Close examination of Skyfire Instagram photos shows the head casting is now taller, has a thick circular boss on the bottom where the spindle mounts, and the top is open. Also there is a wide flange on the top where the 130mm (I'm guessing) servo spindle motor sits. They are using a thick plate on the top of the head casting to box everything in instead of the Mikini arrangement. That plate acts as a mount for the motor and PDB.

Minimum to accomplish using a 90mm Parker servo:

1. 3/4" plate on the bottom to drop the spindle down and reinforce the head casting where the spindle mounts. This will bolt to the casting and the spindle bolts will clamp through it to the casting.
    2. Top plate, about 3/8" thick. Raises the PDB and motor so the motor shaft and spindle pulley are about the same height.
    3. Motor sub-plate.

I still haven't figured out how to take the head off the column. I think I have to un-do the ball screw and slide it off as there's no access to the flanged rail trucks from the front.

Just to make it clear, I haven't done this upgrade yet. I figure my mill will be down for quite some time and I have a few thigns to make before wheeling it in to the ICU.

First thing to do is see if you can find a spindle that's the same length as the R8. If not, go to the Skyfire instagram page and look at some of the construction photos. Pay close attention to the details of the head - you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have some tentative models of the adapter bits if you're interested.

I bought a BT30-90 spindle from Skyfire along with their PDB. PDB is a 2-stage matched to the spindle belleville stack. You can see both of them on their web site.

I tried working with the US distributor but he was a total flake - stopped returning my emails. I'm like "Hi, I have many American Dollars for you. Please answer one question, and I'll give them to you." cricket, cricket...

Wound up using the Canadian distributor - very nice guy - but I got hammered in customs and shipping 'cause he had to ship to Canukistan and then to the US. Just email Skyfire. They'll sell directly to you. No issues with delivery or so forth when they forgot to include the PDB mount - they also made me a custom 36T pulley for about $50. If you do buy something from them, make a big shopping list. The spindle is going to go freight and take a while, so you might as well get tool holders and anything else you think is sexy.

An alternative would be same thing from Alibaba or Aliexpress. There are a number of vendors offering BT-30 spindles - some seem crappy, some are using the Skyfire photos, and I believe Skyfire has a store on there as well. There are also air over hydraulic PDB's for very cheap.

This is not an insignificant upgrade. The spindle mounting hole will need to be bored from 80mm to 90mm, and the bolt pattern is different.

In addition, Skyfire has changed the head casting from the original Mikini. Close examination of Skyfire Instagram photos shows the head casting is now taller, has a thick circular boss on the bottom where the spindle mounts, and the top is open. Also there is a wide flange on the top where the 130mm (I'm guessing) servo spindle motor sits. They are using a thick plate on the top of the head casting to box everything in instead of the Mikini arrangement. That plate acts as a mount for the motor and PDB.

Minimum to accomplish using a 90mm Parker servo:

1. 3/4" plate on the bottom to drop the spindle down and reinforce the head casting where the spindle mounts. This will bolt to the casting and the spindle bolts will clamp through it to the casting.
    2. Top plate, about 3/8" thick. Raises the PDB and motor so the motor shaft and spindle pulley are about the same height.
    3. Motor sub-plate.

I still haven't figured out how to take the head off the column. I think I have to un-do the ball screw and slide it off as there's no access to the flanged rail trucks from the front.

Just to make it clear, I haven't done this upgrade yet. I figure my mill will be down for quite some time and I have a few thigns to make before wheeling it in to the ICU.

First thing to do is see if you can find a spindle that's the same length as the R8. If not, go to the Skyfire instagram page and look at some of the construction photos. Pay close attention to the details of the head - you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have some tentative models of the adapter bits if you're interested.
    Thanks a lot man! I figured it wasn't going to be a walk in the park. Would you mind giving me a ball park cost for what you got from Skyfire. As much money as I've constantly poured into this machine I would have been better off selling it and getting something else. I'm on the fence about the spindle but if it needs to be replaced then it just does. The questions is am I gaining anything by going with BT30 over just replacing the R8 cartridge. For what it's worth I have grown to hate R8 and would kill for a shorter tool with pull studs and a PDB. I'm wondering if their 12T ATC could be retrofitted to the Mikini? Probably have to do surgery on the enclosure.

BTW, so far the servo motor upgrade is turning out to be a game changer over the steppers!
    warmachinellc.com

The spindle + PDB were basically $1k to my door. $90 of that was shipping from china to canada. Another $90 was shipping to my place from canada. Another $130(ish) was customs/duties on both legs. So I ate $200ish because I couldn't get it from the US distributor or directly from Skyfire.

Again, Marc from the CA distributor was very favorable on the deal - wasn't a 'favor' but he didn't mark everthing up a bunch and gank me on shipping.

Skyfire, SZGH, and one other vendor are offering 2.2KW AC servo spindle motors which can run on 240VAC 1P. All of them want about $1100 for a motor and drive package - the SZGH are now appearing on eBay.

I would honestly consider asking for a quote for a spindle and head + PDB assembly and supply your own motor. Eliminating the fabrication of adapters may be worth your time/money.

Yes, I believe their ATC would bolt on to the column no problem. I think it's $2k and it uses simple interface - not some proprietary modbus programming or connector. It's a basic Geneva drive, but it appears they are in the process of upgrading the tool holder fingers (last instagram post).

Cliff at Threadexpress youtube channel has a good comparison of spindle taper options - BT30, R8, ISO.

The BT30 requires more Z-axis travel than TTS but less than an R8 collet. It also requires less spring pressure - the PDB doesn't need to be quite as stout. If you remove the drive keys you can run without spindle homing/indexing for an ATC and I've got certified internet speculation that the drive keys are only necessary over about 3-4HP spindles.

I think - hope - that with the column stiffening I've mentioned earlier this thing can be a mini-beast. At the very least I need it to be have more reliable tool retention.

The spindle + PDB were basically $1k to my door. $90 of that was shipping from china to canada. Another $90 was shipping to my place from canada. Another $130(ish) was customs/duties on both legs. So I ate $200ish because I couldn't get it from the US distributor or directly from Skyfire.

Again, Marc from the CA distributor was very favorable on the deal - wasn't a 'favor' but he didn't mark everthing up a bunch and gank me on shipping.

Skyfire, SZGH, and one other vendor are offering 2.2KW AC servo spindle motors which can run on 240VAC 1P. All of them want about $1100 for a motor and drive package - the SZGH are now appearing on eBay.

I would honestly consider asking for a quote for a spindle and head + PDB assembly and supply your own motor. Eliminating the fabrication of adapters may be worth your time/money.

Yes, I believe their ATC would bolt on to the column no problem. I think it's $2k and it uses simple interface - not some proprietary modbus programming or connector. It's a basic Geneva drive, but it appears they are in the process of upgrading the tool holder fingers (last instagram post).

Cliff at Threadexpress youtube channel has a good comparison of spindle taper options - BT30, R8, ISO.

The BT30 requires more Z-axis travel than TTS but less than an R8 collet. It also requires less spring pressure - the PDB doesn't need to be quite as stout. If you remove the drive keys you can run without spindle homing/indexing for an ATC and I've got certified internet speculation that the drive keys are only necessary over about 3-4HP spindles.

I think - hope - that with the column stiffening I've mentioned earlier this thing can be a mini-beast. At the very least I need it to be have more reliable tool retention.
    Cool, thanks! $1k doesn't seem too bad but yes I would like to see how much a new head would be and if it would just easily replace the Mikini head. I see they have a US distributor, Tripletree. Perhaps they would be helpful. I did watch the Threadexpress videos. It appears my best option is BT30. There is no way I could run TTS without pullout.

I have a 3hp Automation Direct Dura Pulse VFD running my 80-90lb 2hp Black Max motor. I wonder if the same VFD could run their 2.2kw servo motor for the spindle. I'm leary about any Chinese spindle motor ratings anymore though after the original Mikini debacle. I know mcphil got a spindle servo motor from Skyfire and he said it ended up being even worse than the original Mikini motor. It's hard to believe that is even possible.

I'm cutting Delrin right now and you could literally cook an egg on the spindle.
    warmachinellc.com

No, the servo won't run with a VFD - it might turn, but there are only a couple of VFD's on the market advertised as being able to run permanent magnet motors. My Hitachi WJ200 claims to do it, but the best one appears to be the Invertek series. And those are easily as expensive as a dedicated servo amplifier from the motor suppliers.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to replace the bearings in your spindle now - maybe $500 for some decent but not champagne-level AC bearings. Then keep running your machine while you plan out a spindle upgrade. Sounds like your spindle isn't going to last long enough to get parts together for an upgrade.

In addition, you can make an aluminum cooling ring for the spindle nose and run flood coolant through it. I have a 3D model of one I made and used until I needed the clearance back.

Tripletree CNC is the same outfit I tried to contact - thier website is upgraded + new business name, but same address. Maybe they've changed since I tried to engage them.

Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    CI know mcphil got a spindle servo motor from Skyfire
    I missed that comment earlier. Was it really a servo, or was it their BLDC that comes on the low-end model?

Come on Skyfire, I'm getting no response from them...
    warmachinellc.com

There are other spindle dealers on Aliexpress and Alibaba. Might want to shop around - just be aware that there are different bearing/speed options, as well as cartridge lengths & diameters and bolt patterns.

Here are a couple:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1705...chweb201603_53

This one is actually Skyfire's Alibaba storefront.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...35df3608rswwMr

And another one. Pay attention to the cartridge length - it's 2" shorter than the Skyfire version which might help with mounting. I think the riser/adapter plate could be omitted in this case, depending on motor shaft length.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...35df3608rswwMr

Same place also has an air overy hydraulic PDB:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3ef43bf2aSZ0YE

And finally...

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...69574dd7zTYell

That looks like an 80mm BT30 spindle. Drop in, no head boring. Multiple speed/bearing options available. I think it's too short, however, but feel free to fiddle around with it in CAD.

While you're waiting to hear back from Skyfire, here are a couple of images from my latest revision...

The trick is the relationship between motor shaft, motor pulley, and spindle pulley (duh). Below is modeled with a 15mm HTD belt and a .75" thick riser plate. Pulley is a 48T with JA bushing, and the spindle pulley is a 36T I had Skyfire fabricate for me. Looks like all of the 'standard' spindles from China come with 50T HTD pulleys, so you'll need to determine your motor before fooling around with this. Overdriving a 50T pulley means a monsterous 60T-72T pulley that might not fit inside the housing very well. I suppose you could buy a 2.2kw 10kRPM spindle servo for about $1500...

This design is the simplest so far as it only requires one adapter. The motor is rigidly mounted to the riser plate adapter, which in turn slides a little bit for belt tension. Means the PDB will be slightly off-center in the relaxed state, but should center up pretty well once the belt is tight.

The top of the head opening(s) will have to be cut out to clear the belt but the floppy open box syndrome is fixed (mostly) by having the top plate bridge the opening. If it isn't clear from the section view the riser plate is pocketed about .375" deep for the pulley & belt path. I have a nice chunk of 3/4 cold-rolled just waiting to turn in to a bananna on me if I hog it out like this.

Belt changes require the motor & top plate to be removed, but no fishing the belt around inside a half-closed head. Just slip it on the motor pulley and drop the assembly down over the spindle and snug it up.

Thanks man, that's great stuff! Skyfire did get back to me, but the delays between communications and the language mis-communications are too much for my patience to handle. I been in contact with Jan Bos and he has been very helpful although I've been waiting on a quote for over a week now. We kind of determined that the Skyfire head was too much trouble to fit to the Mikini and that boring would be the best option. He had actually done the conversion before and said he would never do it again. I contacted DMM about offering a 2.2kw or higher servo and no dice, it's too big for them. For right now I'll be stuck with the Marathon/VFD motor. My best option is still going to be putting in a BT30 spindle cartridge and PDB but maybe skipping the ATC and servo spindle motor until another time. I keep trying to come up with a way to bore the head in place, i.e. somehow mount a motor/boring bar to the table and lower the head down to bore the casting. I'll look into the 80mm catridge though when I get a chance.

Quick question. Does the Skyfire PDB grip the spindle rotor when depressing the ram or does it just bolt to the casting and push down from there? I ask because I'm wondering if the PDB loads up the bearings every tool change.
    warmachinellc.com

Also Jan shared with me the the 3D files for the different Skyfire head castings. The Mikini casting is pretty much identical to the larger Skyfire SVM-2 head casting with respect to the shape and spindle bore (140mm wide head) but the linear bearing block bolt holes are different and the ball screw bearing is different and is a giant pain to make work on the Mikini he says. Boring is the best way to go. If I can somehow figure out a way to mount a boring tool to the table I may be able to open the 80mm bore to 90mm as well as drill/tap the new bolt hole pattern for the BT30 flange.
    warmachinellc.com

Page 1 of 2 12