584,800 active members*
4,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Need to control huanyang 2.2kw with step/dir, convertor?

Hybrid View

Need to control huanyang 2.2kw with step/dir, convertor?

You might ask why, it's for my mill turn setup running on mach3 which has a vertical milling spindle (huanyang vfd), and a servo controlled horizontal turning spindle. I have it working already using swap axis to switch the servo spindle between spindle and 4th axis, but the vfd vertical spindle has to run on a plugin since the motor tuning for spindle is setup for the servo spindle. This causes some odd behavior during synchronized ops like threading since the rpm readout gets confused between the 2 spindles. I have a work around that is working, but not optimal.
    I think the best solution would be to ditch the plugin and be able to run both spindles on step/dir. Matching steps per unit for the 2 spindles is not important since I can call a pulley selection to adjust ratio in my swap axis macro. I will have the proper units setup for the servo spindle and use pulley gearing to adjust vertical spindle to correct speed.

Does anyone know of a step/dir to +/-10v converter I can use for this? I found the yapsc which I think would work, but can't find one for sale. Not sure if he even makes them any more. I've searched and found quite a few links from years ago, but having trouble actually finding something for sale.

Re: Need to control huanyang 2.2kw with step/dir, convertor?

Look at the HD1 input on the HY. If I understand the manual correctly that allows a pulse input to control the speed. One of the Sx inputs can be programmed for direction.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    You might ask why, it's for my mill turn setup running on mach3 which has a vertical milling spindle (huanyang vfd), and a servo controlled horizontal turning spindle. I have it working already using swap axis to switch the servo spindle between spindle and 4th axis, but the vfd vertical spindle has to run on a plugin since the motor tuning for spindle is setup for the servo spindle. This causes some odd behavior during synchronized ops like threading since the rpm readout gets confused between the 2 spindles. I have a work around that is working, but not optimal.
    I think the best solution would be to ditch the plugin and be able to run both spindles on step/dir. Matching steps per unit for the 2 spindles is not important since I can call a pulley selection to adjust ratio in my swap axis macro. I will have the proper units setup for the servo spindle and use pulley gearing to adjust vertical spindle to correct speed.

Does anyone know of a step/dir to +/-10v converter I can use for this? I found the yapsc which I think would work, but can't find one for sale. Not sure if he even makes them any more. I've searched and found quite a few links from years ago, but having trouble actually finding something for sale.
    I have a yapsc plus the programmer somewhere in my collection that has not been used if you are interested, the Huanyang does not use step/dir some other VFD Drives do which is another choice , is the PWM output from Mach3 not work for you
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I have a yapsc plus the programmer somewhere in my collection that has not been used if you are interested, the Huanyang does not use step/dir some other VFD Drives do which is another choice , is the PWM output from Mach3 not work for you
    The problem is, I have to mach3 set up as a step/dir spindle since that's how my horizontal mill turn servo spindle runs. The swap axis macro just switches the pin out between the vertical and horizontal spindle, so both need to be driven by step/dir. Right now it works since the vfd is controlled by a plugin which works independently from however the spindle is setup in mach3, but it has some slight complications running this way. Getting rid of the plugin and controlling both with step/dir will eliminate the complications.
    I definitely might want your yapsc. I'm still exploring options, like possibly switching to mach4 for other reasons like ability for xyz tool offsets. With mach4 there might also be other options for controlling multiple spindles, possibly by using out of band axis and editing post to output something other than sxxx m3. Ill let you know if i need it though

CNC4PC makes step/dir to analog speed control boards.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    CNC4PC makes step/dir to analog speed control boards.
    Do you have there Board number, would be handy if they have one
    Mactec54

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Nice! Cheap too. Don't think I ever would have found that. Not sure why Google didn't hit on that

That's a very good board, I can remember the C6 Board but did not take enough notice that it could use Step/Dir input I'm not sure why it has not come up before, the price is good as well
    Mactec54