502,548 active members
6,079 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    23

    Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    Hey All,

    I have another thread down there where I was trying to sort this blown spindle controller card. I have given up on hearing back from Syil or fixing the card.

    I'd like to replace the card and keep the existing DC motor if I can. If that is not easily done I'll replace the card and the motor. Thing is, I don't know where to even start. Is there anyone out there who has done this on an X4 machine? If so, will you please share your recipe?

    If not, is there a supplier who may be able to help me figure out what hardware will work?

    Thanks much everyone!

    Chris E.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor specs.jpg   syil tag.jpg  

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    142

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by lockbuilder View Post
    Hey All,

    I have another thread down there where I was trying to sort this blown spindle controller card. I have given up on hearing back from Syil or fixing the card.

    I'd like to replace the card and keep the existing DC motor if I can. If that is not easily done I'll replace the card and the motor. Thing is, I don't know where to even start. Is there anyone out there who has done this on an X4 machine? If so, will you please share your recipe?

    If not, is there a supplier who may be able to help me figure out what hardware will work?

    Thanks much everyone!

    Chris E.
    I may be able to help a bit. I just finished with the conversion of my lathe that uses the same controller and motor. I initially wanted to use Mach 4 to run that BLDC controller but was unsuccessful. Take a look here.

    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...78956-cnc.html

    Your are using the newer version of the board, mine is a bit older, but Just 2017.

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    142

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    I just removed it from my machine, and am noticing some differences. Do you have a schematic of your machine? I could compare the two boards to see if mine would work in your system.

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    142

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    I just went through your previous thread about this controller. Had you ever tried to replace the blown components? If you want to be able to control your spindle via CNC, you will probably need another way of driving the motor other than that controller. After searching high and low for a BLDC controller that matched the motors specs, I gave up and bought the closest thing. I am now driving my motor with a controller from Anaheim Automation. The link is below.

    https://www.anaheimautomation.com/pr...tID=999&cID=23

    This is a 120VAC input BLDC controller that can put out 170VDC at 10-30 AMPS. Since my motor is rated for 220VDC, I lost some RPM in the process, but at least I can control the motor now.

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    23

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    Maxspongebob,

    Wow, thank you, I just tried to find everything I could that was remotely schematic-ish. I don't know if this will be useful but here they are. Your board definitly has the thermistors in a different place and only two as opposed to 3 on mine. The routing for the big capacitors on the other side is different too. But it'd be cool if this may work!

    Attachment 423496

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control board.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	423498

    schematic.pdf

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    23

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I just went through your previous thread about this controller. Had you ever tried to replace the blown components? If you want to be able to control your spindle via CNC, you will probably need another way of driving the motor other than that controller. After searching high and low for a BLDC controller that matched the motors specs, I gave up and bought the closest thing. I am now driving my motor with a controller from Anaheim Automation. The link is below.

    https://www.anaheimautomation.com/pr...tID=999&cID=23

    This is a 120VAC input BLDC controller that can put out 170VDC at 10-30 AMPS. Since my motor is rated for 220VDC, I lost some RPM in the process, but at least I can control the motor now.
    Yes sir. I replaced all the thermistors on the board and put a new fuse in as well. Upon reinstallation and power up. Something arced on the back of the board, blew the main fuse in the system and quit. I couldn't tell what was arcing, but I could sure see the flash. There is something WRONG on that board!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I just went through your previous thread about this controller. Had you ever tried to replace the blown components? If you want to be able to control your spindle via CNC, you will probably need another way of driving the motor other than that controller. After searching high and low for a BLDC controller that matched the motors specs, I gave up and bought the closest thing. I am now driving my motor with a controller from Anaheim Automation. The link is below.

    https://www.anaheimautomation.com/pr...tID=999&cID=23

    This is a 120VAC input BLDC controller that can put out 170VDC at 10-30 AMPS. Since my motor is rated for 220VDC, I lost some RPM in the process, but at least I can control the motor now.
    Yes sir. I replaced all the thermistors on the board and put a new fuse in as well. Upon reinstallation and power up. Something arced on the back of the board, blew the main fuse in the system and quit. I couldn't tell what was arcing, but I could sure see the flash. There is something WRONG on that board!

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    142

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    The more I look into this the more I think my board will not work. On your system the piggyback board has a serial interface where mine does not. So, I am thinking it is a bigger problem.

    My best advice would be to continue to try to get the manufacturer to sell you a new board.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    164

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    For repair of the board you might try this guy. I got great service from him when I needed the board in my Sieg X3 repaired.

    Peter Brush <olduhfguy@gmail.com>

    http://www.olduhfguy.com

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    23

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    The more I look into this the more I think my board will not work. On your system the piggyback board has a serial interface where mine does not. So, I am thinking it is a bigger problem.

    My best advice would be to continue to try to get the manufacturer to sell you a new board.
    Bob, You'd know better than I would! No luck whatsoever with Syil still.

    I am curious about the https://www.anaheimautomation.com/pr...tID=999&cID=23 controller though. A bit pricey, but was it hard to get working?

    Would I be better off trying to find a AC motor and controller together?

    This just sucks. A nearly 6K machine that has never been run and is currently useless. Argh.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    For repair of the board you might try this guy. I got great service from him when I needed the board in my Sieg X3 repaired.

    Peter Brush <olduhfguy@gmail.com>

    MINI LATHE - MILL BOARD REPAIR SERVICE
    I'll drop him a note. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1

    here is my solution

    Quote Originally Posted by lockbuilder View Post
    Hey All,

    I have another thread down there where I was trying to sort this blown spindle controller card. I have given up on hearing back from Syil or fixing the card.

    I'd like to replace the card and keep the existing DC motor if I can. If that is not easily done I'll replace the card and the motor. Thing is, I don't know where to even start. Is there anyone out there who has done this on an X4 machine? If so, will you please share your recipe?

    If not, is there a supplier who may be able to help me figure out what hardware will work?

    Thanks much everyone!

    Chris E.
    sorry for being late, but i dealt with a similar situation last year and there was only one website who help me to solve my problem.
    probably you should give them a try. here is the link www.raptorsupplies.co.uk or www.raptorsupplies.com
    i wish you all the best.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3736

    Re: Has anyone here replaced their Syil spindle controller and/or drive motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I just removed it from my machine, and am noticing some differences. Do you have a schematic of your machine? I could compare the two boards to see if mine would work in your system.
    The long ic on bottom center of piggy back board will almost certainly be MC33035 or MC33033, depending on pin count.
    They scratch off numbers, but I have been around longer than them.

    Searching my many posts you will find schematics that are fairly close.
    I have not seen this version of board previously.
    With all of these syil versions it is VERY important that no wires ever touch chassis, especially in front panel wiring. The magic smoke will certainly escape.

    SORRY!! OOPSy. Wrong about ic. It will be atmega cpu, evidenced by the crystal.
    All of these XMT boards are made be EAST CRYSTAL company.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Similar Threads

  1. Syil X4 with blown spindle controller
    By lockbuilder in forum Syil Products
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-17-2018, 08:33 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 08:20 PM
  3. Which motor and drive for g0704 spindle motor control
    By JeffsInventions in forum Benchtop Machines
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
  5. Super X3 spindle controller (by Syil)
    By ints99 in forum Syil Products
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2006, 11:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •