Another vs thread, bit boring I know but useful to get opinions from the more experienced.

Centroid (Step/Dir only)
Cost:Starter kit $299
Pro version + $139
Digitized + $399
Requires Windows 10 (£80-upwards)

Slick GUI, simple to setup, and reports suggest smooth running.
Looks like you need the pro version if you're serious but what does the digitizing version really offer (There's additional probing support). What do they mean by digitizing, is it still purely control, or does it encroach on some of what Aspire does?

LinuxCNC (Look ahead functionality, step/dir/velocity/torque mode)
cost: (7I83 + 7I76E) - $280, open source software
The above boards probably provide, and some, all the outputs I'd need. I see others purchase the small 7I73 for a pendent but I believe the two boards do include that connectivity.

There is a modded GUI (gmoccapy) but not with the polish of the Centroid. Users do start projects creating new ones but I guess being busy people, they stay in development, or are for personal use.
Compared to other combinations, there isn't the same video content showing setup and usage, although there is a strong forum community. (I've used Linux before, wouldn't go back to using it as my main OS but perfect for something like this)

The above Mesa combo provides analogue feedback. Can anyone summarise the advantages of having this feedback, and re using DMM servos, do they work as intended with said feedback circuit?

Out of the two, can anyone give a comparison, is one obviously stronger than the other. The Centroid obviously works out more expensive, I've also got a number of old PCs that would run Linux fine, so no extra costs there.

Thanks folks