584,849 active members*
4,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DSP and spindle rpm from gcode

i read that dsp controllers can not read S values. but is there another way to control rpm with gcode?

i can speed up and speed down the rpm from controller, but it doesn't give any rpm value, it's like 1 is slowest and 8 is fastest.

Re: DSP and spindle rpm from gcode

Quote Originally Posted by delid View Post
    i read that dsp controllers can not read S values. but is there another way to control rpm with gcode?

i can speed up and speed down the rpm from controller, but it doesn't give any rpm value, it's like 1 is slowest and 8 is fastest.
    You do not specify who's DSP or which model you have but for a RichAuto A11 you can set it up for spindle speed under G-Code control. In the DSP settings you first have to enable the reading of "S" in Auto Pro Setup -> G-Code -> S Read. By default it is set to ignore. Then you find the spindle speed table, (it's in Machine Setup, Spindle Setup, Spindle State) there are settings for the RPM values of 1 to 8 as you note. In these settings, set the RPM values to correspond to the spindle speed settings of 1 to 8 where 1 = 0 and 8 = Max.

You can still override the running spindle RPM using the manual speed control buttons on the DSP while your program is running.

Have mine set to:

8 = 24000
    7 = 20000
    6 = 16000
    5 = 12000
    4 = 9000
    3 = 6000
    2 = 1000
    1 = 0

There is essentially no difference between 2 and 3 because my spindles min = 6000 but...

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    You do not specify who's DSP or which model you have but for a RichAuto A11 you can set it up for spindle speed under G-Code control. In the DSP settings you first have to enable the reading of "S" in Auto Pro Setup -> G-Code -> S Read. By default it is set to ignore. Then you find the spindle speed table, (it's in Machine Setup, Spindle Setup, Spindle State) there are settings for the RPM values of 1 to 8 as you note. In these settings, set the RPM values to correspond to the spindle speed settings of 1 to 8 where 1 = 0 and 8 = Max.

You can still override the running spindle RPM using the manual speed control buttons on the DSP while your program is running.

Have mine set to:

8 = 24000
    7 = 20000
    6 = 16000
    5 = 12000
    4 = 9000
    3 = 6000
    2 = 1000
    1 = 0

There is essentially no difference between 2 and 3 because my spindles min = 6000 but...
    it's actually a turkish company's cnc but parts are imported from china. dsp is RZNC 0501

my spindle is 16000 rpm max
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/M5ANKqZbJvRRtLus9

and spindle driver is this
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GnhL6eSpkUvkz7u6

the dsp controller looks same with the one in this video, and i did the same things in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_IFIc9dJs

so how to learn rpm values from 1 to 8?

edit: i can hear the change of rpm with every value, it's not like no change between 2 and 3 like yours, or 7 and 8, so i think 7 must be under 16000

That video is showing the binary values used to control the spindle speed for the speed settings of 1 to 8. Do not change those settings.

There should be a spindle speed table as well (but might not be in your DSP model). From that screen, press CANCEL to see if you can find the speed table.

For the RPM values, you could just divide the max RPM by 8 giving 2000 RPM per value or you can measure the RPM with a touchless RPM meter which is what I used.

This is the RichAuto download page. Find the manuals, diagrams and firmware here.

Download Beijing RichAuto S&T Co. Ltd

That video is showing the binary values used to control the spindle speed for the speed settings of 1 to 8. Do not change those settings.
    it might be too late for that. i didn't change the binary (the arrows i mean) but i changed the number that the steps for rpm (8 in our example). i tried 2 and 16 and some between. but when i set it to 8 back, it guided me with pre-set values, so i believe it's the old settings now. but what if not? is there a chance of over-powering the spindle?

and i couldn't find any speed table in menu.

You can not "overpower" the spindle.
    Speeds 1 through 8 are programmed in your VFD. Speed selection is via 4 inputs on VFD / outputs from DSP.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Have mine set to:

8 = 24000
    7 = 20000
    6 = 16000
    5 = 12000
    4 = 9000
    3 = 6000
    2 = 1000
    1 = 0

Hi I am also facing the same issue of not able to control the spindle speed using DSP 0501. You mention a11 could work using the S parameters in the G codes. Do you mind explaining or show us how it works? Hence I would upgrade my 0501 to the A11.

Thanks

Hello all. I know this is an old thread but I’ have a similar issue with the Richauto A11.

I changed the spindle speeds under spindle setup from 1-8 and I also set the DSP to read spindle speed from g code (s read) and when in operation it looks like the g code is accessing the right speed numbers from 1 through 8 but since I changed the values from the manufacturer’s values I decided to use a tachometer and realized that the speeds don’t change to the new values, it still spins at the old value speeds. The manufacturer of my cnc called the manufacturer of the DSP (I’m assuming Richauto) and their response was that the spindle speed values can not be changed from the hand held DSP and that speeds 1-8 correspond to values in the VDF.

I’ve never messed with the VDF but does anyone know if it’s possible to change the VDF to corresponde with the 1-8 changes I’m making in the DSP? The speeds on the Richauto are:
    1 = 0
    2 = 6000
    3 = 9000
    4 = 12000
    5 = 16000
    6 = 18000
    7 = 21000
    8 = 24000

It’d be useful to have 10000 and 14000 for cutting aluminum.

I have a Fuling VDF for my GDZ 0-24000 spindle. I can’t find any information in the VDF manual, or maybe I don’t know what I’m looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attach your VFD manual.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    Attach your VFD manual.
    Finally figured out how to properly read spindle speed from g code on the the Richauto DSP if you want to change it to custom speeds. VFD settings have to be changed if you want to enter your own preset speeds. G code spindle speeds also must match one of 8 pre set speeds in the DSP AND the VFD. The “multi speed”settings in my Fuling VFD are under:
    F4.29 to F4.36. Those correspond to speeds 1 through 8 on the Richauto by percentage (regardless of what the Richauto speed says it is)
    F4.29 = speed 1
    F4.30 = speed 2
    F4.31 = speed 3 and so on.
    Most VFDs have some version of this “multi speed” setting.

The speeds on the DSP under spindle set up are only there to read from g code when that’s enabled under g code > spindle read (s read) It will only appear to be reading from g code but if the speeds or percentages don’t match on the VFD they will be the wrong speeds.

Is there also the equivalent of this for Feed rates.
    I have recently set up my Richauto A11 to “read” instead of “ignore” both S and F.
    I have found the S settings from 1 to 8. The machine is reading my Gcode for speed.
    Is there an equivalent for the F rate.
    The machine is now cutting at a controllable feed rate from Gcode so is working but… the ramping moves are so slow it’s burning.
    When I run without the Read option (On the feed)the ramping is carried out at a good rate for ramping but the overal job is to slow.
    I feel it’s missing the 1 to 8 scale for feed rate.
    Very new to this. Any help appreciated.