584,865 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > HOW DO YOU METRIC THREAD WITH OKUMA LATHE OSP
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: HOW DO YOU METRIC THREAD WITH OKUMA LATHE OSP

boring / bored ... hmm, whatever

for somebody like me from Siemnse / Fanuc background. i persoanlly would've never been able to keep a job.
    my dear okuma84, at least actual okuma's osp can become fanuc compatible, by editing a parameter

but can you imagine if there weren't IGF?
    i use igf for simple operations, and longhand for optimizations

i could program a thread like this :

Code:
    call oexternalmetric TOOL = 2 RPM = 567 PITC(H) = 1.5 ZSTA(RT) = 5 ZEND = -50 METR(IC) = 32 OUTC(HAMFER) = 50 CHAM(FERANGLE) = 5
    having the soubroutine build to compute metric threads geometry, using infeeds without changing z ( but spindle phase ), and g34 ( does not use a rectangular toolpath ) : in other words, will behave faster then g71

if you master okuma, you have little to no problem with other cnc's
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

call oexternalmetric TOOL = 2 RPM = 567 PITC(H) = 1.5 ZSTA(RT) = 5 ZEND = -50 METR(IC) = 32 OUTC(HAMFER) = 50 CHAM(FERANGLE) = 5
    very impressive. maybe if you add a few WAIT SYNCHRONIZATION tools in there too? yeah?
    can you program with two turrets?

hello again, i don't have acces to okuma dual turret lathes, so i can't provide handshake code

but okumawiz knows them well

Hello, I have just purchased my first CNC its an OKUMA LCC15 OSP500L-G

I need to cut LH and RH M24x3 threads on 24mm mild steel bar. Can anyone help me with a NC program that could get me started?

I have fusion 360 but the standard post processor doesn't seem to talk to the OSP500l-G control. I hope its only a simple program so I can manually enter it.

Any help is welcomed as it's my first time ever using CNC.

Thank you

M24x3 in steel?
    That is a bit like jumping out of a pedal car into an 18-wheeler.
    Good Luck!
    Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    M24x3 in steel?
    That is a bit like jumping out of a pedal car into an 18-wheeler.
    Good Luck!
    Cheers
    Roger

I have been manual machining every day for the last 25 years. Just bought the first 2 CNC for my workshop. The Okuma 2axis lathe and a Mill (Fanuc 18i-M) 3axis. It does feel like the deep end.

Just how long is the bit of steel?
    I ask for several reasons:
    * a chuck and spindle able to take 24 mm steel rod is 'not small', although I know many lathes can do that
    * the forces involved in threading M24x3 are a bit high: try doing that with a manual die! On a CNC, many, MANY passes.
    * if the bar is really short, a viable alternative would be to stick it upright on the MILL table and thread-mill it.

Whichever path you take, it will be slow.

EDITS
    Why M24x3? I can understand the M24 bit, but why a 3 mm pitch? If it is to go into existing equipment I can understand that, but otherwise I would suggest something more like M24x2, M24x1.5 or even M24 x1 - all of which are Standard and for which dies are available. A lot easier to machine. You might think that a 1 mm pitch would not be as strong as a 3 mm pitch, but that ignores the fact that a 1 mm pitch has 3x as many threads. It's strong.

Now, as for setting up. I suggest to go to your local hardware store and buy some 24 (or 25) mm plastic conduit, and use it for all the testing. If there is a small hiccup, no harm will be done to the machine. And conduit is cheap! After that you could try some solid polyethylene rod or similar, or perhaps a short length of 24 mm aluminium rod. Yes, to be sure, I am being ultra-cautious, but I find it helps.

For 24 mm steel I think you will need carbide threading inserts. They do have the right profile too.

Cheers
    Roger

Hy mytrx, pls share drawing, then ill give you code; also, if you wish for a 2nd opinion on your approach, pls share tools and setup

Monsieur Rcaff, some M24x3 have their place in construction / buildings industry; threads are sometimes incomplete, thus dia before threading is reduced, so called aparent-threads / whatever is there, before mass production, is tested until failure, and adjusted to meet safety, yet stuff still hapens on construction sites / kindly

The complete part is a turnbuckle. This 24mm stud has a LH and RH thread either end. Both are M24x3mm pitch. Material is 1045 bright mild steel. Tooling I thought to use was an Iscar 22ERM N60. This might not do the LH thread? Thread length on the longer studs is 79mm and 64mm on the shorter studs.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    Hy mytrx, pls share drawing, then ill give you code; also, if you wish for a 2nd opinion on your approach, pls share tools and setup

Monsieur Rcaff, some M24x3 have their place in construction / buildings industry / kindly
    I have STEP files of the two different length studs but I ant upload them here.

Ah, a turnbuckle. I see.

I have the advantage of being able to specify whatever thread I want in my R&D work. If I want to use an M7x0.33333 thread, I can. Mind you, I don't! Silly, maybe, but not stupid (I hope). But that is why I am inclined to being flexible.

Now, that turnbuckle. I would not be at all surprised if it was a rolled thread rather than a turned thread, and possibly hot-rolled at that. It would be so much simpler to do it that way for a large production run.

Could the same insert cut both LH and RH threads? If you could thread outwards as well as inwards, yes. Many threading macros allow you to do that. You do lose the sync distance when threading outwards, but in practice I did not find that much of a problem (on smaller threads).

Cheers
    Roger

partial profile insert; you can do l/r threads with one insert, as long as it is not too much rotated in yz plane

a programable tailstock would help

part is too long to machine both threads at once, unless a 2nd chuck is there, or other expensive specs

maybe splitted nut for clamping the part when machining 2nd thread

ill share soon a drawing with process aproach, then, if all ok, ill give you code

The samples have been cut on a lathe. They have the chatter marks on the end threads and there is no centre for a tailstock. My Okuma doesn't have a tailstock so don't have the option anyway. I thought of cutting the LH thread first as the cutting tool would action away from the chuck. Then flip the part and cut the RH thread as it would machine towards the chuck. My gut feel looking at the sample and the 8" chuck, is that I have enough to clamp securely.

pls check attached : steps 456 may be repeatead and/or re-ordered, depending on scenario; hard to remove burs will require repetition

i'll send you generic code for steps 356; is it ok ?

My Okuma doesn't have a tailstock
    that's a pitty; let's hope that your part won't vibrate sometimes there is a low vibration, but tools are still hanging in there, thus :
    ... tool life is shorter, yet resisting enough to make the parts profitable
    ... vibration marks are aestethic, yet you can still sell

LH thread first as the cutting tool would action away from the chuck
    if there is no relief, then this approach will shorten tool life and deliver not so nice threads; your go gauge may not reach the thread end

flip tool 180*, reverse spindle, go z-

The samples have been cut on a lathe
    on your okuma lathe ?

My gut feel looking at the sample and the 8" chuck, is that I have enough to clamp securely
    don't worry, chuck is ok your issues is that tailstock is missing, this is why i wish that your part should not vibrate

even with a tailstock, is possible to have low insert life, especially at pitch 3 and such, for whatever reasons ... don't go with iscar for now, but stabilize/trial your setup with cheaper stuff, from your local market, alternative vendors, borrow a few inserts from someone, etc / kindly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

yes, thank you

Code:
    // threading

G00 X500 Z250
    T030303
    G97 S450 M03 M08
    G00 X40 Z10 G95
    G71 X24 Z-50 B60 D0.17 U0.03 H=2*0.613*3 F3 M33 M74
    G00 X500 Z250 T0300

// spring pass

G00 X500 Z250
    T030303
    G97 S450 M03 M08              ( rpm as above )
    G00 X40 Z10                   ( start position as above )
    G33 X24-2*0.613*3 Z-50 F3 G95 (   end position as above )
        X24-2*0.613*3             ( 2nd spring pass )
    G00 X500 Z250 T0300

// front chamfer refresh

LINK = 02                 ( t - same tool as the one that cuts the od before threading )
       V1 = 1234 V2 = 0.12     ( n, f )
       V3 = 23.9               ( diameter, as the one from the od shape before threading )
       V4 = 2.2                ( chamfer , as the one from the od shape before threading )
       V5 = 1.5                ( radial clearance )
       V6 = 0.8?(VNSRZ[LINK])  ( tool nose radius )

G00 X500 Z250
    T+LINK*10101
    G97 S+V1 M03 M08 M42
    G00 X+V3+2*    V5+3 Z-V4-V5-0.586*V6 G95

G01 X+V3+2*    V5   Z-V4-V5 F+V2*5 G41 K-1
        X+V3-2*[V4+V5]  Z+V5    F+V2
                                       G40 I-1

G00 X500 Z250 T+LINK*100
    if you wish, pls check threading section from okuma manuals, shared at last post in here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/418936-cnc.html

there is NONE of that archaic big front panel with hundreds of keys stuff. That stuff is obsolete
    hy rcaffin, is a bit old, but i just saw it ... when developing the p300, okuma had to choose between full touch interface, or still using hard keys

okuma thinks that feedback from a hard key is better then using a touchscreen; quality over cost, and the p300 keyboard is way better than p200

as for an operator, is not ok to have his eyes refreshed all the time by big screens that replace a hard panel / kindly

if you put G20 or G21 in okuma control you will get an alarm okuma use the optional parameter bit line 3 bit 0 to change the units if yuo use 0=inch 1=metric this is for OSP5020/OSP7000

some thread information I preffer the M33 M73 for thread because I got a better finish,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T1.jpg   t2.jpg   t3.jpg   t4.jpg  

t5.jpg  

Hello Deadlykitten ,

Have you sheet file Spec code of OSP5000-OSP5020 MILL or LATHE.
    Please

Can you share this file for me ?
    My email : [email protected]
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 12