584,842 active members*
4,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Anyone familiar with motion controllers/software which can support dual loop control?

Anyone familiar with motion controllers/software which can support dual loop control?

I am currently running Mach 4 with Allen Bradley Ultra 3000 AC servo drives. This is open loop from the perspective of the control, but closed loop at the motor. I am curious (educational use only) if there are any control setups that would allow a second position loop to be closed at the control using glass scales mounted on the machine. I could setup the servos as velocity loop only and use a control like CSLabs CSMIO to close the position loop, but I have never seen a Step/Dir controller which allowed you to close the loop.

Re: Anyone familiar with motion controllers/software which can support dual loop cont

Galil Motion Control products do that. And if the plugin is working should be compatible with Mach4. Not sure if Mach4 supports dual loop setups.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Anyone familiar with motion controllers/software which can support dual loop cont

I don't know if I am reading this correct but I am using Yaskawa AC servos these can be configured to out put a error if it they do not arrive at the requested position I use this error in Mach3 to shut down the system.

LinuxCNC can do this for you.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by mcardoso View Post
    I am currently running Mach 4 with Allen Bradley Ultra 3000 AC servo drives. This is open loop from the perspective of the control, but closed loop at the motor. I am curious (educational use only) if there are any control setups that would allow a second position loop to be closed at the control using glass scales mounted on the machine. I could setup the servos as velocity loop only and use a control like CSLabs CSMIO to close the position loop, but I have never seen a Step/Dir controller which allowed you to close the loop.
    LinuxCNC can do this

Here's some real experience with LinuxCNC/Low end stepper machine/Linear encoder feedback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRJMk4hkUvY

Option 1: Delta AC servo controllers have both motor encoder input and table linear encoder input. They have encoder output signal + position error alarm signal. Dual loop can be closed at the servo controller.

Option 2: SZGH Auto CNC controllers (china) have encoder inputs for each axis. Dual loop can be closed at the controller.

Option 3: combination of the 2 above

I started to cnc my mill using option 2. I do not know at the moment how it will work

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk