584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Please help me build my new machine!

hi everyone! Here is the deal: I have a $30,000 budget (max), I need 300 watts (or as close as I can get), CO2, 1 tube (not a dual setup), I want the best tube I can afford ( I need brand recommendations) an 8' x '4 cutting area, other specs not mentioned here are open for suggestion as well. What say yee, o' masters of the laser?! Thank you to all of you who respond in advance, and thank you for your patience with me -- I'm no beginner but I'm no expert either.
    Last edited by KBBEngraving; 07-12-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Re: $30,000 budget -- help me build my new machine!

Hi -What speeds do you want and what do you want to cut? and what accuracy do you need? Peter

Hi peter! thank you so much for your response I need quick speeds (as quick as i can afford)--this will be a production machine for a fabrication shop (my new shop!) I will be cutting very thick mdf, thick plywood, thick acrylic and 2-3mm stainless steel (with oxy-assist) at some point--Kevin

Hi - For $30k (USD??) you can buy a machine vs make one? If you do want to make one its best to pick a production machine that does what you want and use it as a benchmark. You will need to settle on some actual speeds vs "as fast as i can afford statements) Peter

Yah $30,000 USD, yes I need to make one--my budget isn't high enough to buy one outright with the specs I mention, I agree I need to start with a good production machine--can you recommend any that would be a good fit, based on my criteria? Can you elaborate on what you mean by "settle for some actual speeds"? Can you recommend any quality laser tubes that meet my needs? Thanks again!--Kevin

Buy a used machine, lots of them on EBay, as an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLIU-LC15...oAAOSwwh5bkWn4 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZAK-SPACE...gAAOSwrZFcveyI

Worst case all of the hard work has been done for you. May require a new tube or other work, but at least has a good base to start from. You can't build a good machine from scratch for $30K
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

So what was the last CNC laser you built like? I thought so.... follow Jims advice.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

The goal is perfectly doable.

There are no actual hurdles to getting such a machine, technically.
    Contact in pm if you want.

Hi Jim--Thanks for the advice. I will certainly look into this option. Do you have any recommendations for reputable 300+Watt laser tubes, single tube, not dual?

Umm...I hadn't even seen Jim's advice yet, friend. If your reply was meant to be antagonistic, feel free to take it somewhere else--it sounded that way anyway. I mention right in my original post that I need help, and I'm no expert.

Thanks for the response--I just messaged you!

Quote Originally Posted by KBBEngraving View Post
    Hi Jim--Thanks for the advice. I will certainly look into this option. Do you have any recommendations for reputable 300+Watt laser tubes, single tube, not dual?
    Sorry, I'm not qualified to address which tube would be the best. My experience with lasers has been to watch a couple of them run.

But I do have a lot of machine building/rebuilding and CNC controls experience. Normally it is better and much cheaper to let someone else do the hard work of building the frame, installing the mechanical systems, and the controls. A used machine will get you all of that, even if a machine needs some work, money can be saved with some sweat equity.

If you have the experience and the equipment needed to build a machine from the ground up, then you should have no problem rebuilding a used machine. Like I said above, with a used machine somebody else has done the hard work for you, as well as supplying a lot of really expensive hardware.

EDIT: This thread seems to be ''stuck'' or somehow damaged. It has quit responding to posts. KBBEngraving please start a new thread if you want to continue this discussion.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Sorry, I'm not qualified to address which tube would be the best. My experience with lasers has been to watch a couple of them run.

But I do have a lot of machine building/rebuilding and CNC controls experience. Normally it is better and much cheaper to let someone else do the hard work of building the frame, installing the mechanical systems, and the controls. A used machine will get you all of that, even if a machine needs some work, money can be saved with some sweat equity.

If you have the experience and the equipment needed to build a machine from the ground up, then you should have no problem rebuilding a used machine. Like I said above, with a used machine somebody else has done the hard work for you, as well as supplying a lot of really expensive hardware.
    Thanks again Jim--I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! I will look into good pre-owned machines asap!

This thread seems to be locked up or something. The posts after #12 seem not to be displaying.

EDIT: In fact, it jumps from #12 to #14, skipping #13. At least on my screen.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Please help me build my new machine!

Quote Originally Posted by KBBEngraving View Post
    hi everyone! Here is the deal: I have a $30,000 budget (max), I need 300 watts (or as close as I can get), CO2, 1 tube (not a dual setup), I want the best tube I can afford ( I need brand recommendations) an 8' x '4 cutting area, other specs not mentioned here are open for suggestion as well. What say yee, o' masters of the laser?! Thank you to all of you who respond in advance, and thank you for your patience with me -- I'm no beginner but I'm no expert either.
    You`re a bit late. I just sold Synrad Evo 240 with over 300W output :-(
    Could make you machine.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

300W co2 laser machine can work on nonmetal and cutting thin metal?Do you plan to import from china?www.queencnc.com
    wechat/whatsapp:+8618254165298