584,330 active members*
6,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Glitches going from offline PC to machine

Recently started having little glitches and at the same time I noticed an issue with the image on my PC. First off, I program mostly from my desk and transfer with a thumb drive, usually never an issue. I'll start with the image issue, the letter "Z" is messed up, screen shot provided, this seemed to happen at the same time I started seeing issues with the graphing and actual tool path, my 2nd issue. I generally turn cutter comp on in a Z move, serves it's purpose for me, issue is, graph showing it doing the Z move straight and doing the comp move in the next traveled axis, this isn't what's actually happening at the machine, it's doing what I asked it to do, graph is not factual of the machines movements. Then today, It made a move at the mill, broke cutter and now have a part to weld up, this move wasn't evident in my desk top PC graphing and it wasn't in the program but it is visible in the CNC's graphics, still not in the program, checked G code and didn't see a reason for it. These little gremlins have become more than irritating, the crash today suggest it's deteriorating and needs addressed before it becomes too late. I'll post screenshots of the graphics showing the area where it crashed, the lines in conversational and in G-code that it happened in, N0114 is the number where the mistake happens, I've posted a pic showing the Y axis at +.4092, that's where I e-stopped it, and the programmed num. is +.485, cutter is .3125 dia. so at most, Y should read .+.3287, .485 minus 1/2 tool dia., not past that. Maybe someone will see something I don't. Any help welcomed!!

Les Holt

Re: Glitches going from offline PC to machine

Quote Originally Posted by justlesh View Post
    Recently started having little glitches and at the same time I noticed an issue with the image on my PC. First off, I program mostly from my desk and transfer with a thumb drive, usually never an issue. I'll start with the image issue, the letter "Z" is messed up, screen shot provided, this seemed to happen at the same time I started seeing issues with the graphing and actual tool path, my 2nd issue. I generally turn cutter comp on in a Z move, serves it's purpose for me, issue is, graph showing it doing the Z move straight and doing the comp move in the next traveled axis, this isn't what's actually happening at the machine, it's doing what I asked it to do, graph is not factual of the machines movements. Then today, It made a move at the mill, broke cutter and now have a part to weld up, this move wasn't evident in my desk top PC graphing and it wasn't in the program but it is visible in the CNC's graphics, still not in the program, checked G code and didn't see a reason for it. These little gremlins have become more than irritating, the crash today suggest it's deteriorating and needs addressed before it becomes too late. I'll post screenshots of the graphics showing the area where it crashed, the lines in conversational and in G-code that it happened in, N0114 is the number where the mistake happens, I've posted a pic showing the Y axis at +.4092, that's where I e-stopped it, and the programmed num. is +.485, cutter is .3125 dia. so at most, Y should read .+.3287, .485 minus 1/2 tool dia., not past that. Maybe someone will see something I don't. Any help welcomed!!

Les Holt
    What are you creating the G-code with, your Post processor is really bad, I'm surprised that it will even run the program written like that at all

You can not use a Z axis move to activate cutter comp it can only be activated by a X or Y move or both, if you don't need cutter comp or understand how it works then don't use it
    Mactec54

Obviously, using Centroids post processer and yeah, beginning to think it's ****! Can't get that first bit of help and last ordeal with them still haunt's me! secondly, I do understand cutter comp and yes, you can turn it on in a Z move, been doing it for over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by justlesh View Post
    Obviously, using Centroids post processer and yeah, beginning to think it's ****! Can't get that first bit of help and last ordeal with them still haunt's me! secondly, I do understand cutter comp and yes, you can turn it on in a Z move, been doing it for over 20 years.
    Then I guess you don't need any help if you have been doing this for 20 years then you should know better than anyone that the code you are showing in the control screen is incorrect
    Mactec54

Regarding your Z issue, you might look at Machine Parameter 130, and the possible use (intentional or unintentional) of a 3-Axis / 4-Axis function key on the F1/Setup menu.

Regarding your cutter compensation issue, you might compare to see if you are using the same Diameter Offset value both online and offline; and look at your values in Machine Parameter 99 online and offline.

mactec54: if you are wondering about the '@' signs in the CNC code, that is something Centroid uses on 2-axis machines with a quill scale. The operator is prompted to move the Z to the specified coordinate, during an M0 pause.

Quote Originally Posted by cncsnw View Post
    Regarding your Z issue, you might look at Machine Parameter 130, and the possible use (intentional or unintentional) of a 3-Axis / 4-Axis function key on the F1/Setup menu.

Regarding your cutter compensation issue, you might compare to see if you are using the same Diameter Offset value both online and offline; and look at your values in Machine Parameter 99 online and offline.

mactec54: if you are wondering about the '@' signs in the CNC code, that is something Centroid uses on 2-axis machines with a quill scale. The operator is prompted to move the Z to the specified coordinate, during an M0 pause.

I have Centroid control software and have never seen code like that, I have never used there conversional so are not likely to ever see it
    Mactec54

Okay, problem fixed, it ended up being the desktop computers Centroid had been corrupted somehow. I dumped everything and reinstalled, works as it always had in the past. Other problems kept popping up and it progressively got worse. I had done an update back in August last year and going back thru everything somehow it had been affected at that time
    cncsnw, Thought same on the cutter diameter so I did go check to make sure I had the same tooling parameters in both the machine as the desktop.
    mactec54, honestly, guess you don't need the help stab was pretty sarcastic considering, my comment lent itself to using cutter comp in "Z" which I have done for over 20 years was not meant to say I knew more, only that I knew that was and had been common practice in my shop and the last shop I ran a Centroid in. You might consider giving it a try, it's been a useful tool to me.

Thanks for the time guys!!

Les Holt