584,333 active members*
6,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Leadshine startup problems

I'm beginning to feel a bit dumb. I can not get the Leadshine HBS86H hybrid step motor controller

to work with the hybrid stepper motor. The motor is a Model 86HSE.5N-B32 model.

First are these compatible?

Second,where can I get help with my problem? Hope someone here.

I am using an Acorn control board to control the step motor controller.

I can make the motor on bench test jog CW and CCW but as soon as I stop jogging
    the motor the jerks about 1 turn and the Leadshine controller board goes into a following
    error (7 blips on the alarm LED). Only way to clear error is to unplug the controller.

I have tried all kinds of different encoder wire hookups to no avail.
    Tried E mailing Leadshine with only a non deliverable response.

Help!

David Hoffman Canton Ohio

Re: Leadshine startup problems

"I'm beginning to feel a bit dumb. I can not get the Leadshine HBS86H hybrid step motor controller

First are these compatible?"

Does the Leadshine manual or website list that drive as compatible for that motor, or visa versa?

"I am using an Acorn control board to control the step motor controller."

Which Acorn schematic are you using?

"I can make the motor on bench test jog CW and CCW but as soon as I stop jogging
    the motor the jerks about 1 turn and the Leadshine controller board goes into a following
    error (7 blips on the alarm LED). Only way to clear error is to unplug the controller."

What does the manual say is the error for 7 pulses?

"I have tried all kinds of different encoder wire hookups to no avail.
    Tried E mailing Leadshine with only a non deliverable response."

There is only one way to wire the motor and encoder. It is clearly shown in the Leadshine drive manual
    Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

Hello Thanks for the return.

I have not found info on whether the drive and motor are compatible.

I am using Acorn's rev 4 drawing S14975.dwg date 100227.

The 7 LED pulse is a following error.

Centroid has an Leadshine connection diagram but it is for a regular stepper not Hybrid.

I will check the Leadshine connection again in the Manual

Thanks VYNDICATOR

Did you try calling Leadshine? I had questions when I ordered my motors and gave them a call and talked to the tech for over a hour. He was very helpful and I had no problem getting ahold of them by calling them. Call them up the USA office is in Orange county here's the phone number 1-949-608-7270.

Dan

Ok Dan Thanks...

Centroid is relatively decent except they have a lot of flaws and software bugs they won’t tell you about and some of the more advanced settings are in the pLC and that’s going to cost $90/hr to get assistance with. Just so you know it’s taken me over a year before I finally got leadshines working and it requires pLC changes. I’m not new to centeoid either I have 4 machines with centeoid including an industrial bed mill. I will say that if you want trouble free AC servos are great. Leadshine wiring is simple. Just be sure your pokes are together aa bb etc.., also they love maximum voltage and that usually requires a driver and power supply upgrade. One set of nema 34’s I have require no less than 150v to operate right and they come with 50v supplies. Once you verify wiring next is calibration and I have yet to see a set of open loops work straight up. Leashine also doesn’t like more than 50””””khz so you need to change the pLC settings and lower it because 100k kHz will cause missed steps. AnywyS that is my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post
    "I'm beginning to feel a bit dumb. I can not get the Leadshine HBS86H hybrid step motor controller

First are these compatible?"

Does the Leadshine manual or website list that drive as compatible for that motor, or visa versa?

"I am using an Acorn control board to control the step motor controller."

Which Acorn schematic are you using?

"I can make the motor on bench test jog CW and CCW but as soon as I stop jogging
    error (7 blips on the alarm LED). Only way to clear error is to unplug the controller."

What does the manual say is the error for 7 pulses?

"I have tried all kinds of different encoder wire hookups to no avail.
    Tried E mailing Leadshine with only a non deliverable response."

There is only one way to wire the motor and encoder. It is clearly shown in the Leadshine drive manual

Did you ever get this resolved. I am trying to start up 3 HBS807S drives and can’t get them to play at all. Can’t find accurate documentation or self test to run.

Very frustrating.

I'm running leadshine drives and steppers on an acorn. They have run with no issues and I did not have to modify the PLC. Are you using the terminals or the DB25 connector. Going from memory its been a while since I hooked it up I had to use the DB25 connector with my leadshine drives. They are not compatible with the terminals on the board where I thought they should be hooked up. Luckily I figured that out before I hooked them up to the wrong place.

Best place to get help with a centroid product is on their own website forum. They have some very knowledgeable people on there.

It turns out you have to use Leadshine encoder extension cables. They transpose some of the wires for some reason. Works on the bench fine now. I am running them from the terminal block. I thought it was the same signal as on the DB25

I'm going from memory on this. If your drives use 24 volt logic you use the terminals. If your drives use 5 volt logic (like most hobby drives) you use the DB 25 connector. If you use the DB25 there are cheap adapters available that turn it into screw terminals. Its in the manual but it does not exactly pop put at you. I read about it in someones post then looked into it. I converted my machine from Mach 3 to an acorn a while ago but I can't remember if I used the original cables it's been a while. I think I made new ones. I'll look after dawn when I go out to the shop.

Thank you....

I had a look at the mill. I made my own cables. I do remember now I was told to use the DB25 connector. I was told in theory you can use the terminals if you include a resistor. In practice it does not work. I decided to use the DB25 and have had no issues.

Thanks again. I’m going to go with the DB25