585,752 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need coolant advice.

I have a new TL-1 and TM-1P both with full enclosures. I was looking for a coolant that I can buy in low quantitys. I bought a coolant from Enco that was rated to be used as a mist and flood coolant, but if you don't get every drop off of the exposed metal parts it will rust overnight. I was able to clean the spots off but I need to get something that is better. I don't think that I need a really "high tech" coolant, as I feel that the most advantage for my use is just to flush chips from the cut zone, and any lubricating, cooling, ect., is just a bonus. I may let my machines set for a few days between uses, so not getting funky is high on the list of desires too. I would like to just get something from Enco again, and here is what they have:Kool mist formula 77(what I was using), Vytron-n synthetic coolant, Tri-cool micro drop, Enco synthetic, synthetic biodegradeable (some generic usa made stuff), here are some links:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=699&PMCTLG=00

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=698&PMCTLG=00

I very much will consider other sources and brands, I just can't spend a whole lot getting started. In the future that should not be a problem. Please let me know what you guys have experience with and like or don't like.

Thanks
    Leroy

This list was stolen from: http://www.lynxmarine.com/shell_product_portfolio.htm

We use Shell Dromus B at a dilution of 1 in 10 to 1 in 15 without any rsut problems on the machines. When the water evaporates off it leaves a thin film of the cutting oil. It does not discolor aluminum and washes off with warm water.

I think Dromus B is about the lowest cost coolant but sometimes it is difficult to find a distributor.

Shell Metal Working Fluids

The cutting or metal working fluid plays a critical part in metal removal or forming operations. It has two main functions. The first is that of cooling both the work piece and cutting tool, to conduct heat away from the cutting and forming areas to prolong tool life and prevent unwanted metallurgical changes or cracking of the workpiece or cutting tool. The second function is that of lubrication, to reduce friction between forming tool and workpiece or between chip and cutting tool. This reduces heat generation and the energy involved in the process, and again improves tool life and surface finish.
    With increasing demands for improved productivity and quality from modern production engineering operations, higher and higher performance levels are expected from metal working fluids. At Shell, we have concentrated on efforts on maximising tool life and achieving consistently high standards of surface finish, to reduce downtime and maintenance costs and to increase productivity and achieve optimum quality.

Correct maintenance of fluid is as important as the selection of fluid for system. We help you adopt a planned program for receiving, storing and using cutting fluids to help ensure better management of the fluid sump through advice and help in

a. Correct storage of fluid

b. Optimum stock control

c. Regular sample checks

d. Proper sump cleaning procedures

e. In case of soluble oils, start from input water quality

f. Proper filling, topping up and maintenance procedure

We offer a comprehensive range of products and services for metal working operations:

Soluble Cutting Fluids

Shell Lubricool Fluids

Shell Lubricool Fluids are designed to exceed the rigorous demands of today's manufacturing requirements. This new range of water miscible cutting and grinding fluids have been developed using the latest in biostable and additive technology for extended sump life, low maintenance and cost effectiveness. Lubricool products have excellent tramp oil rejection properties. They are environment and operator friendly and help maintain a clean working environment. Shell Lubricool Fluids are color coded for easy selection of products for use in different operations.

Shell Lubricool Blue

Semi synthetic and biostable, forms a stable translucent blue emulsion. Recommended for use in CNC machines and for turning, milling, drilling and grinding applications.

Shell Lubricool Green SS

Semi synthetic, biostable and low oil content soluble oil. Forms a stable, translucent emulsion. Recommended for grinding and machining operations.

Shell Lubricool White

Semi synthetic and biostable, forms a stable milky white emulsion. It has been specifically developed for machining aluminum and its alloys in high performance machining applications, giving excellent surface finish and dimensional accuracy.

Shell Lubricool Green

Fully synthetic and biostable, forms a fluorescent green transparent solution. Recommended for grinding applications.

Shell Lubricool Red

Semi synthetic, EP type and biostable, forms stable translucent red emulsion. Used for difficult machining operations.

Shell Dromus B

Premium conventional mineral oil with biocides, forms a stable milky emulsion. It is multifunctional and is widely used for aluminum machining.

Shell Supercutplus

General purpose conventional mineral oil with biocides. Offers longer sump life as compared to similar products.

Neat Cutting Oils

Shell Macron Oils

Premium quality oils based on hydrotreated mineral oil with a low aromatic content. A well balanced combination of polar, mild extreme pressure and antiwear additives provide good lubricity and cutting performance. They are designed for mild, medium and severe machining operations on a variety of ferrous, light and yellow metals.

Shell Garia Oils

Premium quality oils based on hydrotreated mineral oils with low aromatic content. They are designed for medium to severe machining on a variety of metals.

Shell Honex Oils

Operator and environment friendly, low viscosity, chlorine free honing oils with low aromatic base oil.

Shell Machinemax Oils

Neat cutting oils for various machining operations like broaching, deep hole drilling, nut forming, grinding, turning, milling and gear cutting.

Shell Multitool Oils

Environment friendly neat oils for gear cutting operations.

Shell Drawmax

Drawing compound for automotive pressings.

Services for Metal Working Operations

We offer the comprehensive services for optimising the metal working operations.

1. Shop Audit

2. Customer Training

3. Guide to Planned Program

4. Coolant Management Services

5. Coolant management Kits

6. Total Fluid Management
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

We use valcool vnt-700 at a 6% ratio to water. Enco sells this product under the name Oakflow-700. The product is on sale for 5gal= $49.00. Also if you buy over $50 from enco they give free shipping on web orders with a promotional code. Get on the spam list from enco and they will send you this free shipping code every month. I would post the code but I am not at work. Try and buy a refractometer when you can because the water will evaporate much faster than the concentrate so you can top off with water and very little concentrate if you know the actual concentration in the sump. Skim the oil off the top with a vacuum until you can buy a skimmer and buy a fish tank air pump with an air bar and leave it running all the time to keep the coolant from growing bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    We use valcool vnt-700 at a 6% ratio to water. Enco sells this product under the name Oakflow-700. ...
    I had a different experiance with this stuff when they subed the valcoolt vnt700 we did use with the Oakflow 700. It was sticky, discolored brass, soaked into delrin discoloring it , foamed and went rancid so fast it was scary. It is the only coolant we had go rancid in the TM-1s and in the Mazak it didn't last long either. I was constantly having to add water to it to bring it back to dilution too. I'm using the Cimstar 540 right now with good results. It dries with a thin coating that isn't paticularly tacky, rinses quickly back into dilution, no discoloration on the plastics and non-ferrous materials we cut. $89 for a 5gal pail at MSC and dilutes at 5-10%.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I Like Castrol 9954. It is a bit pricy ($180 / 5 gal) but works fantastic. Used to use Hangsterfers S-500 but it got really nasty after 2 to 3 months no matter what I did to it. I have also heard good about Castrol 9930.

I use castrol 9918. It works great on a variety of different metals. It is a bit pricey,but well worth it.

where would I look at the castrol products?

and where to actually buy them? I am more interested in where you guys buy from and if you are satisfied with them. This is the thing about the internet, I can google it but I still don't know what kind of person I am dealing with.

thanks for the replies,
    LeRoy

For the Castrol, MSC carries some but not the grade I was looking for so I called Castrol Industrial's customer line and asked for a distributer. They pointed me to one in my aera. I used Canyon State Oil in Phoenix, AZ since I am in AZ. I would go straight to a distributer on any of these fluids if possible since it is usually much more expensive in MSC almost all the time.