584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Let's build some ISO20 spindles

An oil chiller is not an absolute requirement for high speed spindles. Fanuc RoboDrills come with 24k spindles (ceramic, gease packed bearings) that are air cooled.

those 24k fanuc spindles spindles also have low preload and a relatively short service life.

coolant around the spindle and bearings on a belt drive spindle is *mostly* about thermal stability. the fluid keeps the spindle within a few degrees, and you get more accurate parts. you also get less chance of the bearings binding up - which can happen if the nose gets very hot.

I would say for your first spindle, disregard any cooling

For the bearings, use grease. Oiler systems are out of the scope of what you need. These days the only machines using oil mists are large spindles running very fast (40krpm HSK50 for example). The bearings you buy will actually tell you what to use for a given preload and rpm. If you are using cheap bearings, none of this will even matter.

I was at CMTS today and saw a number of rather nice spindles.

you should look at:

Meyrat
    NSK America
    Jianken
    Microlab
    Andersen
    HSD

Those guys all make small spindles, some with motors, some belt, some direct, ranging from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars. Microlab basically makes exactly what you are trying to do, for about a grand. Study how they have laid them out, power, bearing size, rpm limits.

Hi,

I've been busy with other things but managed to make some small progress on the spindle too.

I'm still going with the belt drive design but thinking about the direct drive idea.

When I connect the spindle with a coupling to the motor on the top then how the air cylinder works? How to design it?

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Hi,

I've been busy with other things but managed to make some small progress on the spindle too.

I'm still going with the belt drive design but thinking about the direct drive idea.

When I connect the spindle with a coupling to the motor on the top then how the air cylinder works? How to design it?
    Direct drive cant use an air cylinder generally. not impossible, but its not space efficient.
    Most will be hydraulic, some mechanical.

you put a cross pin through the side of the spindle to actuate the drawbar, and then press that with a hollow hydraulic cylinder in the housing, or a mechanical lever..

Hi,

What are the dimensions (and angle) for the iso20 holder I'm also trying to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalo05 View Post
    What are the dimensions (and angle) for the iso20 holder I'm also trying to make one.
    look up shaublin iso 20
    they have a drawing that shows the tool holder and the taper (and their gripper).

You can buy iso20 er holders for $10. so, hard to justify making your own, unless you need something special

Quote Originally Posted by vandalo05 View Post
    Angle is same in all iso type holders. I don't remember right now the exact value.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Angle is same in all iso type holders. I don't remember right now the exact value.

7/24
    or
    8 deg 17'50"
    its like 8.2972°
    or another ?

Let me check.

Let me check.

Thanks bro, it will be very helpful, since the vendors are crazy they ask for $ 1000 or $ 2000 and obviously I can not pay that if I am going to start this CNC as a hobby

Page 3 of 3 123