584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cnc12 software "router edition"

So i keep seeing mentions of a CNC12 software "for routers" and just wondered if anyone knows where to read about this becuase I cant seem to find anything about it.

When should we expect it to be released and what features will it bring ?

Also by the way, does centroid controller utilize s-curve motionprofiles or trapezoidal ?

Cheers

EDIT: someone also mentioned a addon or extension board, is this to increase I/O on the acorn?

Re: Cnc12 software "router edition"

I’ve had Centroid Acorn control on my router for well over a year. You use the mill version and it works great. There are some router specific features planned. But nothing stopping you from using it now.

Thanks for your reply. You wouldnt have a link to where i could read about these planned router specific features ? or any of the other stuff for that matter.

thanks again

Check out the Centroid user support forum.

yea Ivve looked everywhere on there but found nothing at all. Guess ill register an account and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ack1 View Post
    yea Ivve looked everywhere on there but found nothing at all. Guess ill register an account and ask.
    Search the Acorn section of the forum, like slodat I've been using it on my router since around the first of the year and it works great on my router.

The s-curve I'm not entirely sure what that is, but I'm thinking on CNC12 the smoothing feature is what you are looking for. It's customizable and you can save different profiles depending on the type of work you're doing. For example you can make adjustments for 3d toolpaths and fine tune the motion to best suit your needs. Some of the guys have even shared their custom profiles it might have been Slodat, but I don't remember for sure but there is a thread that they were discussing it in.

Sign up and check out the forum, I have a build thread for my router on there with a lot of info and answers to questions I had as someone new to cnc and Centroid. I'm yet to see anyone running the controller on their router that isn't happy with it.

As for the router version I don't know exactly when the update will be released, but Keith from Centroid has posted screen shots as well as some of the features he also listed the up coming updates with release notes. The one thing he doesn't do is give dates for the updates so you just need to be patient but know that they are coming . When I bought my Acorn they were on V4.12 and now we're on V4.18 so they have had two updates since my purchase and the next update will be V4.20 so it appears they go by two's for some reason. I believe that the router version was to be slated for V4.22 but don't quote me on this I'm going off of memory. The one of the big differences will be as far as I can tell that the VCP will be more router specific and I believe the AUX button graphics will be editable. I'm not 100 percent sure exactly what all the features will be since I don't believe it's finished yet. He does list some of the things that will be added to make it more router specific, but I don't remember everything off hand and it don't want to guess since I don't remember all the new features. Now that you reminded me, I think I'll start a thread and see if I can get some of these questions answered if you don't beat me to it.

For the expansion board they said the hardware is done and have posted pictures of the board and have said that the software is just being finalized. They tend to spend a good amount of time testing prior to release from what I've seen and don't like to rush things to market. Depending on your machine you might not need the expansion board and even if you do it can easily be added when it's released just leave room for it in your enclosure. They also listed the dimensions as well as some info on it you just have to search the forum and for the info.

If you have any other questions sign up for their forum and ask away, the guys are very helpful and there are some very experienced router guys that can help you out like they did for me.

Hope this answers some of your questions and I hope you post some pictures and videos if you decide to use their controller.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ack1 View Post

Also by the way, does centroid controller utilize s-curve motionprofiles or trapezoidal ?
    S-curve is used when smoothing is off, trapezoidal is used when smoothing is on. This sounds reversed, but there are other techniques used in smoothing to get good results.

Thanks everyone. The info was buried in various threads so ill summerize it here for anyone else looking to find it.

Roadmap. (subject to change)

4.16 Maintenance release, has new Update Wizard so you don't have to type in all the config values.
    4.18 Ether 1616 support
    4.20 Maintenance release.
    4.22 User editable VCP and router version
    4.24 Maintenance release
    "

The roadmap i think might have already changed a bit and pushed along 1 step so next release(current is 4.18) will probably be support for a new expansion card. This will give another 16 inputs and 16 outputs to the acorn.
    After that a maintenance release and then the router version wich is from what i could find just visuals as in router specific icons on the virtual control panel. There might be other stuff too thats aimed for routers but i think they arent bound to (waiting for) the router-version of the software as they are smaller(less noticable) additions.

So that is that.

Im not in need of another controller (currently testing simcnc) but im very curious and it would probably be quite easy to set up with atc and such. I might try one. Such is the life of the nerd.