584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PCNC 770 - Mach 3 - Windows 10

Tormach PCNC 770 - Mach 3 - Windows 10

Recently, my old Win XP machine died. It ran Tormach's version of Mach 3 using the parallel port. I haven't had much luck locating an older PC with Windows 7 or older, 32-bit with parallel port. I decided to try and use a spare PC I have around which is running Windows 10 64-bit.

From what I've been able to find, Mach 3 will run in Windows 10 provided you use an external motion controller. It seems the UC100 is a common suggestion, which is reported to work according to the manufacturer's website.

I wanted to see if anyone is running a similar setup of Tormach's Mach 3 with Windows 10 64-bit using the UC100 external motion controller. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Re: Tormach PCNC 770 - Mach 3 - Windows 10

I think you would need an Ethernet Smooth Stepper board.

I don't have experience with that particular setup, but I have experience with various computing/control systems, and I think it's GREAT that the parallel port is finally dying.

Back when the PC was really a glorified microcontroller with a display (1980s,) the parallel port made sense, but once you started running a real OS, all the compatibility hacks to stay with parallel port, instead of moving the signal generation to a dedicated bit of affordable hardware, just held the industry back.

The UC100 has a good reputation, and is pretty close to a "plug and play" replacement if you already have wiring for the DB25 parallel port. If you're already upgrading things, you could also look at the Mesa 5i25 and similar cards, which let you upgrade to PathPilot at some point, but if all you want is "keep going with minimum fuss right now" then that's probably not the right choice.

I use a UC300eth-5lpt currently, and I had a ESS before that.

Both devices are great, but I probably prefer the UC300eth-5lpt. I'd occasionally get memory issues with the ESS, and I find the setup to be easier with the UC300eth-5lpt. It uses the native Mach3 setup whereas the ESS adds a menu for setup. The added menu overlaps some of the native settings and I found that confusing.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.

@jwatte: Do you know if the mesa card you listed is compatible with windows 10 64-bit? I can't seem to find anything on mesa's website. To me, as the cost of the mesa card and the pathpilot software upgrade seem to be about the same cost as the other options to use Mach 3, I'd much rather upgrade to path pilot.

PP and Mesa are exclusive to Linux. Windows 10 64 bit would not be an option.

I'd be happy to convert over to linux. I used to be a user, but a lot of the software I use is not written for it, so....

What distro is recommended for PP and mesa?

Are 64-bit machines compatible?

I believe that PP is basically the LinuxCNC distribution just customized. Meaning you would buy the PP disk and install that distribution. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable on building a PP controller can elaborate.

There are other posts where people have setup PP for other machines as well, so it should be doable.

This kit is available from Tormach - https://www.tormach.com/store/index....DE&portrelay=1

Might make the transition really smooth, but since I don't even own a Tormach I really can't say for sure.

Thanks CL, I just found a thread on discussing how the PP install is both PP and the customized linux all in one.

I saw a document released by Tormach for upgrading to PP with an outside system. Here's the thread discussing - https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...-software.html.

If anyone has used a 64-bit system successfully, please chime in.

From this blog post (Testing Surplus PC’s On Linux CNC & PathPilot 1.9.X / PathPilot V2.0 – The Personal Blog Of Steven L. Rhine), it seems as though PP works on 64-bit systems.

The author is using a Lenovo M70E, which is a 64-bit system.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    This kit is available from Tormach - https://www.tormach.com/store/index....DE&portrelay=1

Might make the transition really smooth, but since I don't even own a Tormach I really can't say for sure.
    I saw this as well, and I believe it would be the best bet. Thanks!

PP and Mesa are exclusive to Linux.
    Yes, PathPilot IS Linux.
    The Mesa cards have some support under Windows, but I think the 5i25 only has 32-bit drivers.
    (It is, after all, a PCI card, so kind-of trailing edge at this point ...)

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    The Mesa cards have some support under Windows, but I think the 5i25 only has 32-bit drivers.
    In my previous post linking to a blog, the author is running a 64-bit system (Lenovo M70E, E7500) with the 5i25 card (PCIe). It would appear the 32-bit drivers are working on his 64-bit system?

Quote Originally Posted by zipfactor View Post
    In my previous post linking to a blog, the author is running a 64-bit system (Lenovo M70E, E7500) with the 5i25 card (PCIe). It would appear the 32-bit drivers are working on his 64-bit system?
    Running 32 bit I/O hardware on 64 bit Linux is completely standard and supported

As information to anyone else in a similar situation, the software upgrade and mesa card from tormach worked flawlessly when installed in my lenovo thinkcentre m92. The mesa card tormach provided was the 6i25 (PCIe).

I run a Windows 10 laptop and Mach 3 to control my plasma table via a USB connection.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th