584,817 active members*
5,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Just had to post a few videos of my new Automate CNC mill

Just had to post a few videos of my new Automate CNC mill

I know this is mostly a Smithy forum, but since Detroit Machine Tools is the parent company for Smithy and Automate, I hope it will be OK.

https://youtu.be/Olk8NiTIqa0

Really happy with the new mill so far. Definitely exceeding my expectations!

Wade

Re: Just had to post a few videos of my new Automate CNC mill

Looks like a really nice set up. I'd like to hear how it compares the the Tormach mills. Please report back after a few months use and let us all know. Is the Siemens control a step up from PathPilot?

Steve

I can't talk bad about Tormach's. I have 2 of them and they have served me well. I've been running production with my 770 for a long time, and just added the 440 this January. It's been a great little machine as well.

That being said, speed and power wise there is no comparison. The automate eats thru metal a lot faster that I think a Tormach ever could. I just did some cuts where I chewed thru a 3/4" deep cut in one pass with a 0.075 woc with a 3/8" endmill at 90 ipm and I only hit 50% on the load meter, meaning I can probably push it even more.

It's bigger for sure, about 4900 lbs, all servo and 5hp spindle as well. So far I am very happy with it and it's abilities. It's hard to watch the tormachs while the automate is running as there is such a difference in speed of everything.

The siemens control isn't bad. Different and far more fussy and a little more vague, but it functions well.

Wade

Awesome ! Looks very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    I can't talk bad about Tormach's. I have 2 of them and they have served me well. I've been running production with my 770 for a long time, and just added the 440 this January. It's been a great little machine as well.

That being said, speed and power wise there is no comparison. The automate eats thru metal a lot faster that I think a Tormach ever could. I just did some cuts where I chewed thru a 3/4" deep cut in one pass with a 0.075 woc with a 3/8" endmill at 90 ipm and I only hit 50% on the load meter, meaning I can probably push it even more.

It's bigger for sure, about 4900 lbs, all servo and 5hp spindle as well. So far I am very happy with it and it's abilities. It's hard to watch the tormachs while the automate is running as there is such a difference in speed of everything.

The siemens control isn't bad. Different and far more fussy and a little more vague, but it functions well.

Wade
    Thanks for the rely. I hope to add a second mill in the coming months and was thinking 1100MX looks like the 550 Pro could be a mill to put on the list to research further.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post

Wade
    Can you elaborate on fussy? This has definitely made my short list after getting a really good quote from Automate, including upgrading the spindle and switching to the Siemens 808D Advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Thanks for the rely. I hope to add a second mill in the coming months and was thinking 1100MX looks like the 550 Pro could be a mill to put on the list to research further.

Steve
    Did you make a decision on a machine? I had been planning on doing the 1100MX as well, but by the time I had everything added to my cart, the price was enough to get me looking for other options.

Thanks
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
    Can you elaborate on fussy? This has definitely made my short list after getting a really good quote from Automate, including upgrading the spindle and switching to the Siemens 808D Advanced.

Did you make a decision on a machine? I had been planning on doing the 1100MX as well, but by the time I had everything added to my cart, the price was enough to get me looking for other options.

Thanks
    Kris
    I am holding off till the spring to make a final decision. Novakon is also coming out with a mill using the Siemens 808D control. I was hoping it would be out late 2019. The Automate 550 is still on my short list.

Steve

Siemens has a bunch of 808 tutorials on youtube so you can get a good idea of how it works. most industrial controls will feel quite a lot different from the hobby pc controls.

Siemens had at one point a software training emulator for the 808 as well, I don't know if that was free or you had to buy it.