584,879 active members*
5,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Series 3 Stepper EMI

Recently upgraded to the series 3 motors. Now when I turn the machine on I hear a hiss from the motors and I notice the LCD screen on the controller gets some noise in its display. Is this normal?

Re: Series 3 Stepper EMI

"hiss" from the motor may be hold torque from the PWM generator in the drivers.
    As long as they don't get too hot, you should be fine.
    However, if the EMI is so bad that you get LCD wiggle, then first tighten all connections (including the monitor cable,) and if that doesn't solve it, check that the current limits on the drivers are set correctly for your motors, and that your drivers are properly connected to the controller.

Huh, I'll check the connections like you said, but everything seems to be working well. It's not super apparent in the LCD, like water being disturbed by a bass note. Anyway I'll see if tightening up cables helps, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BMC_Dave View Post
    Recently upgraded to the series 3 motors. Now when I turn the machine on I hear a hiss from the motors and I notice the LCD screen on the controller gets some noise in its display. Is this normal?
    I've never seen or heard anything like what you describe, but my hearing isn't what it used to be. Normally the component I'd first suspect to be generating EMI would be the VFD. However, if you experience these effects when the spindle isn't running then I'd connect the XYZ axis drives one at a time to see if it can attributed to a particular axis. If you can identify one axis as the potential culprit try swapping the output connectors to connect a different motor to the drive. This should help to identify whether the issue is caused by the driver (or upstream) or after the driver.
    Good luck
    Step