585,722 active members*
4,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electric Motor Recycling

I came into possession of about 15 or 20 old electric motors recently. They are all 115/230 VAC industrial/appliance type motors. Some of them are gear-motors with right angle drives, but most are just 1/4 HP to maybe 1/2 HP electric motors.

I may keep some of the nicer ones with the right angle drives, and some of the newer looking ones. A lot of the older ones appear to be in bad shape. They may or may not work, I don't know.

I'm just wondering what the best way to get rid of them would be? I've never had to get rid of something like that and I didn't know if they would be worth any money to a special recycler or business rather than taking them to the scrap metal buyer. To clarify, by "scrap metal buyer" I'm talking about a scrap metal company that pays by the pound as opposed to someone who may specialize in repairing/refurbishing electric motors.

Thanks!
    He is more machine now than man.....

Re: Electric Motor Recycling

There is no best way to scrap metal, different scrap yards have different prices that are effected by commodity price, new product price "New/Refurbished Motor", supply, demand, location, if they are selling to a bulk metal processing company or foundry etc etc. Some large recycling companies may pay nothing at all while a small 2-3 employee scrap yard might pay more and vice/versa.

In the scrap business the best price usually ends up being a gimmick just like used car dealers sell a $20,000 car for $15,000 then when you get there they show you other cars telling you that one already sold. If it sounds to good to be true it is!

Regards, David Tene Owner, American Scrap Metal