584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > UPS battery backup - general question

UPS battery backup - general question

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this question, but maybe you can help or point me in the right direction. I'm looking into getting a UPS (Uninterpreted Power Supply) for my CNC. I have a 4'x8' Blackfoot kit CNC running a CRAFTSMAN router. So, is there anything that could keep me running for a bit during a power outage. I don't know anything about electricity, watts, amps , volts, ohms - none of it. - I just need something that could give me a chance to hit pause on the PC so I don't ruin a project in the middle of a run. What do you recommend? Thank you for your help.

Re: UPS battery backup - general question

Something like this would keep you running at full power for a few minutes, I don't see a full load run time spec'd. It would keep the computer up for a few hours once the router and controls are shut down. https://www.amazon.com/APC-SmartConn...dp_ob_title_ce
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out!

OK - another thought on the topic of power outages. Would it be better to not have any battery backup and let the computer, CNC machine & router all pause at the same time instead of trying to run things on limited power. My thought is, it might be easier to continue where things left off (even if I have to re-run the whole file and air cut) instead of running things under powered and dragging a slow moving router bit and my Nema motors not at full power. I looked at some UPS options and they're pretty expensive and I don't know that it would help enough to justify the cost. What does everyone else use? Sorry for the rambling, that's just how my brain's working today - thank you!

The normal way it is done is to have all motion stop on power fail, much like pressing the E-stop switch, even on a very brief power fail. In other words it drops out the control power relay (which you should have installed). Then requires a reset after the power comes back on. This insures that no damage is done to the machine or work (or you) when it powers back up.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The normal way it is done is to have all motion stop on power fail, much like pressing the E-stop switch, even on a very brief power fail. In other words it drops out the control power relay (which you should have installed). Then requires a reset after the power comes back on. This insures that no damage is done to the machine or work (or you) when it powers back up.

I actually don't have a Control Power Relay...yet. I think this is a great idea, I'm getting one of these for my CNC asap - Thank you!