585,589 active members*
2,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Digitizing in Mach 4?

I've just finished a new CNC router (CNCRP Benchtop Pro 2436) and I've yet to install the control software.

I'm using the Ethernet Smoothstepper for machine control and I'd like to use Mach 4 but digitizing is a large part of my intended work flow, using a touch probe and the bed-of-nails method of point cloud generation.

I can't seem to find any information on if Mach 4 includes a digitizing wizard or if there is a plugin available for it. Can someone confirm that this is possible with Mach 4 or one of its plugins and possibly point me in the right direction?

I can use Mach3 if I have to but I'd really rather utilize the newer and fully-supported software if possible.

Thanks!

Re: Digitizing in Mach 4?

I'm completely new to Mach 4, so the term "point of nails" point cloud is foreign to me (I commonly work with point clouds in Rhino and know a bit about that). Please explain.

Thanks

That was a typo actually. :/ Should have said "bed of nails".

I withdraw the question. I've decided to go with UCCNC instead.

Yes I would like to do the same with Mach4. Purchased the probe and it works great on Mach3, maker of the probe has no plans to do a Mach4 version of his software. I feel I got ripped off.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Which probe did you purchase? I'm looking to purchase one that works with Mach 3, I use Mach 3 did not upgrade to Mach 4 as there is no support for my wireless pendant even though I'm using the UCCNC controller the UC300ETH. Also the same reason not to use UCCNC software due to lack of wireless pendant and Modbus VFD control. Mach 3 has been great for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Formantjim View Post
    Which probe did you purchase? I'm looking to purchase one that works with Mach 3, I use Mach 3 did not upgrade to Mach 4 as there is no support for my wireless pendant even though I'm using the UCCNC controller the UC300ETH. Also the same reason not to use UCCNC software due to lack of wireless pendant and Modbus VFD control. Mach 3 has been great for me so far.
    Your statements are all false.

UCCNC supports the HB04 wireless pendant as well as the UCR201 wireless pendant: CNCdrive - motion controls

UCCNC has modbus plugin which support all flavors of the modbus protocol and there is VFD modbus plugin also.

Quote Originally Posted by Formantjim View Post
    Mach3/4 is the most widely used CNC control system in the world. I do not recall the brand of the probe I used but its Mach4 that does not support the digitizing which worked fine in M3. The software was a bonus. However you can have both 3 and 4 on your computer at the same time… and just use Mach3 for the digitizing and nothing else. Mach4 works great and lots of support.

BTW his wireless pendant may not be supported in UCCNC.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Mach3/4 is the most widely used CNC control system in the world. I do not recall the brand of the probe I used but its Mach4 that does not support the digitizing which worked fine in M3. The software was a bonus. However you can have both 3 and 4 on your computer at the same time… and just use Mach3 for the digitizing and nothing else. Mach4 works great and lots of support.

BTW his wireless pendant may not be supported in UCCNC.
    Yes and mach3/4 is the least reliable also.

Is this discussion about recording z heights over a series of x-y coordinates ? There must be a dozen or more software solutions available for something that simple.
    I just use a home-made probe and a g-code file with some variables to end up with a text file. I have no way to test that in Mach# but suspect the same is possible. G-code Ripper works if a GUI is preferred and probably most 'autolevel' type programs do the same.

Re: Mach# being the most common cnc control, the folks at FANUC may argue. Then again maybe I underestimate the size of the hobby market.
    (just kidding, I understand hobby control was implied)
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.