584,861 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > USB Device Intermittent when plugged into Ruida 6442 Controller

USB Device Intermittent when plugged into Ruida 6442 Controller

To all;

I have several Redsail Laser engravers (2 x X700 and 1 x M900) and have generally had good luck with them. Two of them run on RCL320 Ruida controllers. The third one has a Ruida 6442g controller.

I recently upgraded to a Dell Latitude e7470 laptop, which worked well with the 320 controllers. When I plugged the e7470 into the 6442 controller, I found that the Touchpad on my laptop became intermittent. Took that laptop back and found that the second e7470 did exactly the same thing. I worked with Dell Support extensively to try to find a software solution to this problem, but none was available. During this time, my trusty old Dell Latitude e6430 worked perfectly without a single problem.

Dell feels that there is a noise problem between the controller and the laptop that is causing the Touchpad to hangup. The Stickpointer and an external mouse worked perfectly even when the Touchpad was frozen.

The answer was a USB port isolator, which I purchased off eBay for about $12. It completely isolates the the two devices (the laptop and the Ruida controller) from each other, but passes the data from one to the other. No more frozen touchpad.

I have posted this because I could not find any threads that detailed this problem and have appreciated all the posts that have solved problems for me. The Dell tech felt that it could be a problem with just my Ruida controller, or just an incompatibility on the Dell Motherboard. He also said that this could show up in different forms dependent upon the machine the controller is in. So, if you are having USB problems, try a USB Port Isolator.

Re: USB Device Intermittent when plugged into Ruida 6442 Controller

We find that dell a lot of problems with their USB ports on our CNC we will not use Dell computers on them because of that

hi guys
    this is all very interesting
    we use dell pc's and often get a communication error when trying to download files to the machines, so the isolator may be the answer
    however could someone please send a link to these isolators because when I search "usb port isolator" the results that we get cost like 10 times the 12 bucks you mention
    thanks in advance
    Dave

Dtcrafts,
    I got mine from ebay. Here is a URL for one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1500v-Isola...sAAOSwyMRcm0~3

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dtcrafts View Post
    hi guys
    this is all very interesting
    we use dell pc's and often get a communication error when trying to download files to the machines, so the isolator may be the answer
    however could someone please send a link to these isolators because when I search "usb port isolator" the results that we get cost like 10 times the 12 bucks you mention
    thanks in advance
    Dave