584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Any source for an orbital action spindle??? rod chamfering?

Any source for an orbital action spindle??? rod chamfering?

I'm looking to make a rod chamfering machine. It doesn't have to be particularly accurate, but it does have to be *fast* and easy to use.

I chamfer alot of small (1/8" and 3/32") stainless rod. Currently I use a belt sander. Twirling the rod is hard on the fingers. I'd rather hold the rod steady and have the tool twirl.

I've tried the Severance rod chamfer bits. They don't work if the rod isn't chucked and pushed into the cutter.

I figure the best option would be a male 90 degree chamfer grinding bit. But I want the tool to go around, so I would need an orbital action. Almost like I had a bit in the orbital gear in a planetary gear box. That way the bit spins fast enough to remove material, and the bit spins it's way around the rod.

Any ideas? It seem all the orbital sanders are *random* and that's not what I want.

Thanks!

-Jeff
    www.JeffAlbro.net/cnc/

Get an air powered Die Grinder and make a holder to grip it slightly off center in a small lathe. Run the air line through the spindle and get a rotating fitting at the end. Clamp a small bit of brass in the toolpost with a 1/8" hole through it on center. Line everything up, turn on the Die Grinder, turn on the spindle running slowly and poke the end of your rod through the hole in the brass to get deburred.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Heeeeeeyyyyy!

That's a great idea!

I'll look into finding a short, easily mountable die grinder.

Thanks!

-Jeff
    www.JeffAlbro.net/cnc/

Quote Originally Posted by InspirationTool View Post
    Heeeeeeyyyyy!

That's a great idea!

I'll look into finding a short, easily mountable die grinder.

Thanks!

-Jeff
    KBC Tools; Part No. 1-829-5762. Medium Rear Exhaust Die Grinder, 20,000rpm, 1/4" collet, length 6", diameter about 1-1/2", air consumption 3cfm.

Featured in their current flyer.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.