584,846 active members*
4,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Robotool CVM-1, help

hello everyone, i just signed up here first post. Ok to the point i was recruited well say, to fix a milling machine the robotool cvm-1 as I'm sure you all know already the company is out of business and the machine is almost as old as i am and i don't know anything about it or what its supposed to be doing which makes it awfully hard to fix. The machine was already torn apart by the time i got to it which makes it even more fun anyway apparently it was taking longer and longer to start up and now it doesn't start at all. it gets to the insert master disk part and then doesn't do anything. as i said i never saw it running so i don't know if the disk is the problem or the drive, apparently this machine does have a history of drive problems but the drive was tested in a computer and appears to work. There are three boards, the servo amps i believe which all have R1 burned out (might only be 2 of 3) do you think that could have had anything to do with the problem, does the computer check these before it will start? could the computer possibly be damaged? the fuses on the boards are ok and everything else appears to be fine was there something that likely would have blown out the same part on all the boards? any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated , any history common problems or things to look for maybe even schematics what ever would be great. thanks again in advance (sorry for the long post)

edit: p.s. anybody know a good place to get parts, particularly those resistors?

:rainfro:

:withstupi

nobody knows anything about these machines?!?

not off to a good start. i fixed the amps today and it still does the same thing computer says insert disk. none of the lights on the control boards are on though. if anybody could please direct me to someplace that can help or has schematics or anything that would be incredibly helpful, right now im going in blind.

I had a Robotool CVM-1 also. I just sold it 2 years ago and loved it when it worked. There is a guy in Arvado Colorado named Ib Hansen and he builds Cassutt airplanes. He designed the conversion software to change them over to a PC control. He was a design engineer for Robotool back in the day. If you want to PM me I will give you his phone number. He is a little hard to understand, but a super nice guy and very informative. Hope this helps, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by offroadxx View Post
    I had a Robotool CVM-1 also. I just sold it 2 years ago and loved it when it worked. There is a guy in Arvado Colorado named Ib Hansen and he builds Cassutt airplanes. He designed the conversion software to change them over to a PC control. He was a design engineer for Robotool back in the day. If you want to PM me I will give you his phone number. He is a little hard to understand, but a super nice guy and very informative. Hope this helps, Greg
    I have two robotool cvm-1 can you give me Ib Hansen phone number

send me the phone number of the person on Arvado Colorado

CAN YOU SEND ME THE PHONE NUMBER OF IB HANSEN TO MY EMAIL [email protected]
    Thank you

do you sell your robotool machine send me your phone number so I can call you

Quote Originally Posted by crash1369 View Post
    hello everyone, i just signed up here first post. Ok to the point i was recruited well say, to fix a milling machine the robotool cvm-1 as I'm sure you all know already the company is out of business and the machine is almost as old as i am and i don't know anything about it or what its supposed to be doing which makes it awfully hard to fix. The machine was already torn apart by the time i got to it which makes it even more fun anyway apparently it was taking longer and longer to start up and now it doesn't start at all. it gets to the insert master disk part and then doesn't do anything. as i said i never saw it running so i don't know if the disk is the problem or the drive, apparently this machine does have a history of drive problems but the drive was tested in a computer and appears to work. There are three boards, the servo amps i believe which all have R1 burned out (might only be 2 of 3) do you think that could have had anything to do with the problem, does the computer check these before it will start? could the computer possibly be damaged? the fuses on the boards are ok and everything else appears to be fine was there something that likely would have blown out the same part on all the boards? any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated , any history common problems or things to look for maybe even schematics what ever would be great. thanks again in advance (sorry for the long post)

edit: p.s. anybody know a good place to get parts, particularly those resistors?

:rainfro:

:withstupi
    The master disk is a CP/M format 720k disk, which will not normally copy in a modern PC without a thorough knowledge of how to copy such a disk. There are a few tools which will do so, but just trying to run it in windows will not do the trick, even if it says it did. The machine will not move past the INSERT MASTER DISK part of the boot process without a proper master disk, so this could very will be your problem. Of course, you have probably moved on from this, being that it is three years later, but I thought I would give some info here in case anyone else needed it.

Ib Hansen