586,005 active members*
5,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

sliding door and window tracks

Could sliding door and window tracks be used to make a cnc plasma table? They might not be as accurate for a router but would they be okay for a plasma cutter i wonder?

No, they will not be accurate.

And yes they will be OK if you don't need the accuracy. If today you do plasmacut by hand, they will probably do much better.

If your budget is low, they will leave you more money for other parts so that you can get something running and gain experience. If you later determine it's not good enough for your demands, you just put them on the list of things to improve. And please report back how well it met your requirement.

It's as good as or probably better than roller skate bearings on a tube that have performed to satisfaction for some.

For a CNC table I tried to use the grooved bearings/wheels that are sold as replacement rollers for patio doors.
    They looked like a low end replacement for vee bearings....:idea:
    Oh well, another idea that did not pan out. These bearings have an incredible amount of slop in them...truly not worth the trouble. I wound up using them for a cutting table slide that is locked into position once it is aligned and for that they work well, but for CNC they are far inferior to skate bearings.
    They did look like a good idea though, didn't they?