585,670 active members*
4,181 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting 1" Mild Steel

Hi all,
    I am looking at buying a 4 x 8 table for cutting mild steel up to one inch. Is anybody having much luck doing this with a plasma? (one table mfg mentiond that oxy kits put out too much heat and will cause issues with the gantry/z)

Thanks
    Steve

Unless you can afford a High Definition plasma cutter (starting in the 25k range) then the best option would probably be oxyfuel. I can't see the heat from the torch affecting the gantry too much, but it depends on the manufacturer, height of gantry above plate, etc.

You can cut 1" with conventional plasma, but you will get a heck of a bevel to go with it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    You can cut 1" with conventional plasma, but you will get a heck of a bevel to go with it.

Interesting??

My single phase 151 cutmaster can cut at pretty much no bevel if you get the parameters set right. I was comparing it to my friends O/A cut with his track burner. The right side is the plasma cut. I will cut a bit more and show you the lack of bevel. O/A is probably the way to go overall but A generic CNC machine and a standard plasma can do a great job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0002.JPG  

Mighty nice cut, that is.
    Surprising that a conventional plasma did that, very impressive. I still (personally) would rather use oxyfuel, as there is guaranteed to be no bevel, but it looks like you have very little. Thumbs up!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

I happen to think O/A is the way to go myself, but I do not discount the possibility of other things working, no matter what people/books say.

Here are a couple of more . The edge going up is the A/O cut that my friend did. It was just scrap laying on the floor, so not even close to some of his other cuts. The one plasma picture show a bit of bevel at the very bottom, but it was the worse spot and minor for the most part. I am happy a POS table (was but not now) can get nice cuts. I am still working on my Y axis so I am only practicing my track cutting. Single phase and a standard air plasma cutter make you wonder just how good the big boy plasma's can do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails one inch plasma 100 amps 15 ipm.jpg   2one inch plasma 100 amps 15 ipm.jpg   view two plasma bevel.jpg  

I saw a Hypertherm Hy Def plasma cut through 1" plate once, looked a lot like that, with a slight touch of bevel.
    So you are saying your friends track burner is a POS and still cut that smooth?

-RedGreen show.

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    I saw a Hypertherm Hy Def plasma cut through 1" plate once, looked a lot like that, with a slight touch of bevel.
    So you are saying your friends track burner is a POS and still cut that smooth?
    No my plasma machine was the POS. The edge going up in the second and third pic was just a cut made by his A/O track burner. He has some real nice cuts on some of the scrap he gave me. His nice cut pieces was used on things he builds. I just did not want you to think that was plasma cut. I could get it to look way uglier with my plasma, if I don't have the parameters just right.

I have a TD 151 also, and it cut this on the first try. I'm happy enough with it that I would do it again...
    I'm not real happy with the back side of the holes though...

100 amps
    10 ipm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brickend.jpg   brick837.jpg   brick3_4bottom.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I have a TD 151 also, and it cut this on the first try. I'm happy enough with it that I would do it again...

100 amps
    10 ipm

Looks really good to me!!! What was your pierce height/ pierce dwell time/ cut height on the holes?? Also the type of tip/nozzle combo??

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Looks really good to me!!! What was your pierce height/ pierce dwell time/ cut height on the holes?? Also the type of tip/nozzle combo??
    It was a while ago but I think these were the settings...

Pierce height and cut height was .130
    pierce dwell was 1.5 seconds

and I was using a 100 Amp tip and the standard nozzle.

I stuck a square on it and it's not quite as square as yours it looks like though...
    What was your settings?

It was a while ago but I think these were the settings...

Pierce height and cut height was .130
    pierce dwell was 1.5 seconds

and I was using a 100 Amp tip and the standard nozzle.

I stuck a square on it and it's not quite as square as yours it looks like though...
    What was your settings?
    Standard exposed 90/100 amp tip ( slightly used) Mine was a edge cut so I did not have a much pierce delay. (1 sec) 100 amps .200 Pierce height/ .190 cut height. 15 ipm. 70 lbs. air pressure while flowing. Different nozzles cut at at different speeds. I had good luck at 12 ipm. on another cut using another nozzle. I need to try a brand new eletrode and nozzle to see if it can improve. It's fine by me at this point.

hypertherm 1650's will cut trough 1" of metal and do a pretty nice job not on holes though, oxyfuel is the way to go on anything 1" and thicker as its cheaper just as fast and will get you nicer holes

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    hypertherm 1650's will cut trough 1" of metal and do a pretty nice job not on holes though, oxyfuel is the way to go on anything 1" and thicker as its cheaper just as fast and will get you nicer holes
    There are many three phase plasma machines that will cut as well or better. It's hard to find any 100 amp single phase machines that can work like the Thermal. Esab has one out but it's not for sale yet. It will have a blow-back torch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    There are many three phase plasma machines that will cut as well or better. It's hard to find any 100 amp single phase machines that can work like the Thermal. Esab has one out but it's not for sale yet. It will have a blow-back torch too.
    Oh im not trying to say that hypertherms are better then thermal dynamics or esab, im saying that oxy-fuel is better way to cut 1" and thicker. I setup machines with hpr130-260's all the time, as nice of cut those can get out of 1" material (the 260 can do a little thicker) the speed is pretty much even to what oxy-fuel will do. If your good at setting up an oxy-fuel system you can do some really nice work with it. Esab has a system that will cut trough 6" metal, that really seems kinda crazy as the cost to buy that would be completely outrageous as compared to oxy-fuel.

on a side note, oxy-fuel does not really put out that much heat. Many people think that oxy-fuel cuts with heat, but it actually doesnt the 02 actually oxidices (excuse my sp) the metal. Its super quick rusting of metal! I think plasma specially when you start getting into 100A and higher put out more heat.

100 amps
    10 ipm

It's hard to tell exactly how good that cut is from that angle (especially the holes). Also, running at that speed is like watching grass grow and a lot slower than oxy-fuel.

Nice cuts though.