584,862 active members*
6,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

over priced accesories?

Need to vent some more, set me straight if I am out of line here.
    I ordered the Floppy drive for my TM1, Assuming ( key word there ) it was complete.
    So, open box only to find the drive only. Called Selway, was going to over night the cables, cool. So today, called to see how it was shipped, HAAS kicked the order, saying that the cables are extra?!!!!!!!!!!!!! What good is the drive without any cables. I spent over 500.00 for this Floppy Drive, only to have to spend more? Not happening.
    So, has the drive been configured in someway to work only in a HAAS machine, or is this just your simple drive you can get from Best Buy for 28.00or so?
    Needless to say, the drive is on it's way back to Selway, I will figure another way around, possably 232 cable.
    Sorry for the rant, still upset.
    Smitty

Either gouging or maybe they're trying to send you a message to upgrade from a sneaker-net?

Couldn't you have just gone down to the local office supply/computer store and bought a floppy cable for $5.00? The floppy drive itself is only like $10-15. You are paying for the hardware in the machine that allows it to work. That's what costs.(chair)

I replaced my old floppy drive in my Haas with a Sony. Seemed to work fine, but then I was only replacing a drive, and not the cable. The older machine with a short ribbon cable is what I have in mine, and the floppy drive is in the back cabinet.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    Couldn't you have just gone down to the local office supply/computer store and bought a floppy cable for $5.00? The floppy drive itself is only like $10-15. You are paying for the hardware in the machine that allows it to work. That's what costs.(chair)
    This will be the route that I go with now. All I wanted was a simple kit to get me up and running ASAP, but after the price of the Drive, and then more for the cables from the Pendant to the control panel, will make my own.
    Thanks for the replys, looks like I have lots to learn when it comes to upgrades!!
    Smitty

500 for a floppy? that is ridiculous AND the cable is "extra" they are having a laugh. I would write to the Quality Control manager and explain why you will nit be sending them any more of your cash.... and that you have informed your CNC mates on the Web... won't do anything, but should make you feel better.

It can't be that difficult to configure a normal floppy to work surely... or pay a computer geek 100 to do it for you
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Are you sure the cable is not inside of the pendant. I believe the cable might be inside.

I was hoping for just that, but no cable in the pendant or the control panel. I even removed the outer PC board to verify no cables are tied away hiding somewhere. Just my luck I guess

The only problem I am seeing with this alternative drive and cable is that unless the floppy "option" is turned on you will need the code from HAAS to activate it. I'd bet they will charge for this.
    The floppy kinda sucks anyway. Focus on getting your RS232 dialed in and working.

Amen, Brother Dean

Spend $400 or so for a wireless RS232 serial to ethernet converter, get you programs downloaded super fast and error free. You need wireless ethernet setup at your shop, of course.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dean,
    When I was installing the Floppy from HE!!, there was no mention of a code to enter into the machine to turn it on. From what I was told, just go into the parameter section and turn it on from there. Who knows for sure!!!
    As for wireless, not an option at this point, but maybe very soon. Just need to get the shop cleaned up enough to move around in again!!!!

Yeah, parameter #209 (on my tl-1, may differ on tm-1). But there definitely was a option that I had to turn on by calling HAAS and giving them the number generated on the parameter 209 screen.
    Look in the back of your manual and on the first page of the parameter printouts. It shows your serial number, below it there will be a list of "options" installed. If floppy is not there this could be a problem.

HAILINHAAS! confirm please.

Depending on how old the machine is .. par 209 bit 21 floppy enable ... if there is a "T" next to the bit ..you will need a code ...$$$$ ..

I would give GAR a call, he can set your rs232 port for a lot less the a floppy drive. Believe me you wont ever think of a floppy drive again. It was the best money I spend to transfer file to and from the machine.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    Depending on how old the machine is .. par 209 bit 21 floppy enable ... if there is a "T" next to the bit ..you will need a code ...$$$$ ..
    And the $$$$ for the code is the difference between $500 and the $30 price of a floppy drive. The $500 is buying the drive, the code and installation.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    Are you sure the cable is not inside of the pendant. I believe the cable might be inside.

I would agree with this it probably is in the pendant arm depending on what year Haas it is. Also the Haas control is not PC based so your idea of the local computer store bought floppy will not work and you have to have a code to enable the floppy parameter. I would call Haas Automation direct Selway seems to screw people around!

I think a normal floppy drive will work in the HAAS machines you can also replace it with a usb converter from PLR ELECTRONICS make sure you keep the mice out of your machine they like to chew on the ribbon cables. I have 2 machines with the ribbon cables chewed up I am beginning to wonder if they coat them with peanut butter when they make them. any way good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    I think a normal floppy drive will work in the HAAS machines you can also replace it with a usb converter from PLR ELECTRONICS make sure you keep the mice out of your machine they like to chew on the ribbon cables. I have 2 machines with the ribbon cables chewed up I am beginning to wonder if they coat them with peanut butter when they make them. any way good luck
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for your input, but please take note of the dates on the post before commenting. This thread is over 4 years old now and I would presume the problem has been fixed by now.