584,866 active members*
5,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Must I Buy Fusion 360 For This? Or Can Vcarve Create This Model?
Page 1 of 2 12

Must I Buy Fusion 360 For This? Or Can Vcarve Create This Model?

please see attached photo
    it's a cavity that will be carved into an aluminum plate such that a small tube/pipe bent to a 90 degree angle (the elbow) has to be sandwiched in between two pieces of aluminum

a picture is worth a thousand words please see attached image.JPG

I'm the newest newbie in town so I would have to learn to do this in either Fusion 360 or Vcarve...because those are the two apps i have access to.

thanks,
    Eddie

Re: Must I Buy Fusion 360 For This? Or Can Vcarve Create This Model?

Fusion 360 is free to hobbyists. You can download it and learn how to use it here https://academy.titansofcnc.com/ https://titansofcnc.com/resources/
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I think any CAM program will have a hard time producing the sharp corner at the right hand end of the recess.You may well be able to machine it in Vcarve Pro but you will have to model it using some other system as Vcarve will only import .stl files for 3D machining. It doesn't have a great deal of modelling capability as that would eat into sales of the more expensive Vectric products. I make no reference to the apparent sharp corner on the outside of the 90 deg sweep as the OP mentions bending the pipe and no pipe can be bent with a sharp external corner.

You can almost certainly model and generate the toolpath using Freecad.It may or may not have a post processor that will suit your machine.

Correction, must i learn to use fusion 360 or can vcarve model this. You're right, it doesn't really have a sharp corner, that corner was drawn wrong it should be a rounded corner as you would expect when you bend a steel pipe into a 90 degree angle

I see a block of aluminum outside profile cut using .250 end mill outside the line, and a L shape profile cut X inches deep with round mill .375 diameter or whatever the width of the profile cut on the line.

I was assuming the measurements were in mm's.

Yes I understand you already Fusion 360, but this could be a VCarve project.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Of course VCarve can do this... basically any 3d or better cam can do this.

For me their are 5 main differences between the two that dictate which I use.
    1. Vectric is bitmap based, so not as accurate
    2 Fusion can index and support 5 axis through machining of any face. Vectric cannot.
    3. Vetric can wrap stl models and machine them. Fusion cannot.
    4. Fusion supports adaptive tool paths, 3D rest machining, and numerous more and advanced tool path features and functions such as G93.
    5. Fusion supports lathe. Vectric does not.

Oh yeah... one other is Vetrics post processor is very easy and a pleasure to modify. Customizing Fusion post processor requires a degree in programming!!

4. Fusion supports adaptive tool paths, 3D rest machining, and numerous more and advanced tool path features and functions such as G93.
    Vectric software now supports G93 as well, as of the last version.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

PM me your email and I will share with you, your design in F360.

STET that, I made it public.

https://a360.co/30xTFjq

Two things about your design.

One, you will have great difficulty if you don't radius where the tube bends.
    You will also need to radius where the tube ends.

This is a very simple part to mill in one operation with a 5mm or smaller ball endmill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PipeInPlate.JPG  

VCarve Pro is not Bitmapped based. Vectors can be drawn and modified in the program. Fusion 360 is a great CAD and 3D modeling program, and its getting better all the time.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    VCarve Pro is not Bitmapped based. Vectors can be drawn and modified in the program. Fusion 360 is a great CAD and 3D modeling program, and its getting better all the time.
    What are the right settings for Model Resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Vectric software now supports G93 as well, as of the last version.
    As usual, I see you are correct.
    I will check this out.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    Go here for questions.... > Vectric Forum • Index page

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    Two things about your design.

One, you will have great difficulty if you don't radius where the tube bends.
    You will also need to radius where the tube ends.

This is a very simple part to mill in one operation with a 5mm or smaller ball endmill.
    I agree it is simple part to mill, but disagree with your other comments.
    And I don't want to be rude, but your drawing doesn't represent his sketch. See attached.

Re bitmap and model resolution, you don't understand what I am talking about. Did you even click on the link?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    I agree it is simple part to mill, but disagree with your other comments.
    And I don't want to be rude, but your drawing doesn't represent his sketch.

Re bitmap and model resolution, you don't understand what I am talking about. Did you even click on the link?
    I am never offended by forum comments. I appreciate all inputs.

That said, I was trying to address the difficulty that eddiegnz1 is having. It sounds to me like he needs help with the design process and using the applications.

Since I know F360 but not VCarve It is easier for me to show him how to create a model in F360 that he can use as a starting point. It is my experience that it is easier to learn how to design a part in any application if you have a model to use as a starting point. With the model that I created eddiegnz1 can change any of the dimensions or parameters to make it look like what he needs. He can also reverse the part to make the top half.

I also know engineering and fabrication. The design that is presented in his sketch would simply not be possible to manufacture. First, bending any tube is going to require an inside and an outside radius. The larger that radius is the easier it will be to bend the tube without it crimping. See post #4. Second, where the tube ends there must be a radius because there is nothing that I know of that could cut that compound corner.

BTW, I am unable to open your .dxf file, what app did you use to create it?

As 'per drawing' (i.e. hand sketch, first post), this is not a milling job but EDM with a custom electrode.
    Unless there are new super top secret endmills from other world(s) that we aren't yet aware of... then ;-)

(was this another marketing attempt from F360?!)

I am never offended by forum comments. I appreciate all inputs.
    Well that's better than me! :cheers:
    I changed it to an STL but had to zip it. I use SharkCad for everything... I love SharkCad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mecanix View Post
    As 'per drawing' (i.e. hand sketch, first post), this is not a milling job but EDM with a custom electrode.
    Unless there are new super top secret endmills from other world(s) that we aren't yet aware of... then ;-)

(was this another marketing attempt from F360?!)
    See post #4.
    "You're right, it doesn't really have a sharp corner, that corner was drawn wrong it should be a rounded corner as you would expect when you bend a steel pipe into a 90 degree angle"

So the drawing in post #1 needs to have an inside and outside radius.

No absolutely not a marketing attempt. In fact, if I had my choice I would use anything but an AutoDesk product because I absolutely hate their new licensing scheme. I paid over $4k for Inventor 2015 and now can't upgrade unless I want to pay that again every year. $%##$%. This is why I am using Fusion 360.

SharkCad, I will have to take a look at it. Does it have HSM?

Funny, we have not heard from eddiegnz1 . Lets guess what he is using this for.

See post #4.
    ah. I see. Although still very confused wherewhathow F360 fits in for this part... its only 3 line of gcode (?). Ok ok maybe four lines, if you M4 the spindle lol

Sorry to hear about your Autodesk issues, Max. Somehow recurrent, not the first time I read a comment/situation like yours, I think. Surprised this haven't changed by now

Page 1 of 2 12