584,829 active members*
4,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SlantPro Toolsetting

Hi Guys. I thought a thread on toolsetting would be useful. Please post your tips and questions here.

I'll start it off with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_C1K42yaFI&t=2s

Cliff

Re: SlantPro Toolsetting

I nearly forgot Part 2. Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzmSBEVgqr0&t=4s

Hey Cliff, I'm hoping to see what sort of "tricks" folks post up. I'll try and get something up on how I have been doing things on mine. Would love to see some sort of auto tool setter down the road. I've gotten pretty fast at dialing in the X offsets. However, shimming and such on the Y offset is a real pain in the ass, especially with gang tools. I've got an idea for a highly accurate LED type setter. I just need to make the time to work on the concept.

Later,
    Awall
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram
    CoolCNCStuff.com "coming soon"
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

I picked up one of the Tschorn lathe too setters at a good price; it seems to work fairly well and is certainly a lot quicker than the tool touch off method. Maybe Cliff will come up with an ITTP version for the lathe?

I used the lathe tool setter too. Quick and highly accurate

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Maybe Cliff will come up with an ITTP version for the lathe?
    Hey Cliff - I've got $800 ready to send to you for the tool setter! Will go nicely with the three ITTP's we have!

I picked up one of the Tschorn lathe too setters at a good price; it seems to work fairly well and is certainly a lot quicker than the tool touch off method. Maybe Cliff will come up with an ITTP version for the lathe?
    Are there electronic probe location routines available or written into PP for sbl15?

I have been using a Haimer that I use in my mill to determine the offsets for the tools in my lathe. I have never seen anyone else do it, but it works well for setting the tool X and Z offsets. Just put the TTS 3/4 shank in the 3 jaw and take your measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I have been using a Haimer that I use in my mill to determine the offsets for the tools in my lathe. I have never seen anyone else do it, but it works well for setting the tool X and Z offsets. Just put the TTS 3/4 shank in the 3 jaw and take your measurements.
    I've done the same thing. I actually got a really good deal on one on Flea Bay so that I didn't risk screwing up anything on my mill Haimer. One of the things I want to do is to make a flat spot probe tip that can be clocked to be square to the lathe bed. This way you have a more accurate landing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    Sounds like a flat bottom probe tip would be handy for this. Wonder why Hamier don't make one for cnc lathe use?

Smokediver, why the probe flat for clocking to bed?
    I see flat ends for the T-horn probe but no centered flat area.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Sounds like a flat bottom probe tip would be handy for this. Wonder why Hamier don't make one for cnc lathe use?

Smokediver, why the probe flat for clocking to bed?
    I see flat ends for the T-horn probe but no centered flat area.
    My thought is to make some sort of tool holder that would hold the Haimer in the chuck or 5C collet and allow you to clock the four sided flats to the machine. This would allow you to dial in the Y axis (tool height) as well as easily setting the X along a flat spot vs having to hit the center line on some sort of barrel.

I purchased the Tschorn one (https://www.tschorn-gmbh.de/en/produ...rDREHplus.html) and ended up returning it because it would not give me repeatable accuracy. Still had to do skim cuts to dial the tool in which didn't give me anything much better than an a simple SPI LED indicator.

I'm in a bit of a rush so I won't get to watch the video until this evening so I'm not sure the comment I'm about to make is applicable. Edge technology makes a cnc lathe gage (Part Number 13-000) for setting lathe tools and it works on slant bed lathes. I think it only sets centre height though not offsets. I'm planning on buying the lesser pro lathe gauge (Part Number 02-000). For the record I have not used either of these products and only heard about them a couple of days ago. From the video it did look quick and easy to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I'm in a bit of a rush so I won't get to watch the video until this evening so I'm not sure the comment I'm about to make is applicable. Edge technology makes a cnc lathe gage (Part Number 13-000) for setting lathe tools and it works on slant bed lathes. I think it only sets centre height though not offsets. I'm planning on buying the lesser pro lathe gauge (Part Number 02-000). For the record I have not used either of these products and only heard about them a couple of days ago. From the video it did look quick and easy to use them.
    I actually have both of those and use the one for the slant from time to time. Edge Technology makes a great product and is a great company to do business with! However, it's been my finding that it gets me close but not as accurate as I would like. So I made a D shaped piece that has the flat inline with the center line of the lathe. I put another edge on one side at 90 degree to the flat so that I can put a angle rule on the bed and align the flat on the side. Then I just use a small shim to slide back and forth across the main D flat to the tool to get them aligned. I think Cliff has something similar in his video.

One of the problems with Lathe setters is that unlike a mill it also sets part size. eg diameter.

A low cost NC lathe like the Slant Pro settles slightly when actually taking a cut. And so for precision work the offsets need tweaking again anyway.

After that it will repeat - but the initial setting is seldom a one step process.

So an expensive accurate probe is somewhat wasted, as the time saving is less.

Add to that the wildly different shapes of tools, and a probe is less versatile and can only save time on some tasks..

I am making another series on this with some new ideas. Cheers Cliff

Hey Cliff,

Per some of our emails back and forth on this subject I wanted to let folks on here know that I'm working on a concept that will be electrical in nature (visual and audible indication) however will not tie into PathPilot (for now). The design is a three point contact probe that you would apply an offset to to get tool X+ / X- and Z axis.

My thought is that once you have a known offset recipe (with correction for spring and such that Cliff's talked about), say for cutting aluminum, you could come down, make contact and enter the tool offset for that recipe from there. The only tool I'm really struggling with is one for cutting the backside of a part. All others I've got working reasonably well. Works great if you have a turret. I'm trying to make a smaller version that would be more suited to tools that are close to each other like gang tool drills.

I'm not ready to show up my skirt just quite yet but if you follow me on Instagram (CoolCNCStuff_) you will be the first to see it. I'm getting real close!!!

Later,

I cant quite agree with Cliff about tool setters on a lathe. The tool setter is not setting diameter or part size. It is doing exactly what it does on a mill - it is setting a WCS. They define X as a function of the acts of rotation, they define where your part sits in Z (but not the size of the part), and Y is pretty much defined when you set your tool in it's holder.

I am not sure what Cliff means by "settling?

Keen - I can physically see the turret rotate slightly when a tool starts a cut right after a turret tool change. That seems to give me a thou or two variability on turned parts as a worst case. Is that what you mean by the lathe settling in?

Looking forward to you next video.

Quote Originally Posted by dannirr View Post
    I cant quite agree with Cliff about tool setters on a lathe. The tool setter is not setting diameter or part size. It is doing exactly what it does on a mill - it is setting a WCS. They define X as a function of the acts of rotation, they define where your part sits in Z (but not the size of the part), and Y is pretty much defined when you set your tool in it's holder.

I am not sure what Cliff means by "settling?
    Hi - Let me try and explain. I think I see what you mean. A NC lathe is different to set than a mill. Usually three stages:

- Set up the tools mechanically

- Set up the work and tool offsets in X and Z and the heights or Y if you want to call it that

- Set the tools cutting to code commands

I split it into three stages because it is easy to think there is only the first two - that's how it would be in a perfect world. But if you just do the first two stages on a low cost lathe with say a probe fixed in a collet or chuck , the parts will not be accurate. You will then need to measure and tweak the offsets to get eg accurate diameters.

Eg with each tool the X offset is not just a WCS, it is effectively also a X tool offset, and this sets the diameter.

So what I am saying is given this final stage is required anyway, then you might as well set the tools less accurately via a quick more basic setting tool, then tweak the parts to get the final accuracy.

Hope that makes better sense. Cheers Cliff

Keen - I can physically see the turret rotate slightly when a tool starts a cut right after a turret tool change. That seems to give me a thou or two variability on turned parts as a worst case. Is that what you mean by the lathe settling in?

Looking forward to you next video.
    Thanks - Well that is one of the causes, but also tool and part flex, Z or X slideway settling under the cut load, spindle bearings/gravity/chuck variations, thermal changes and so on , have a variable effect from tool to tool and job to job. Because these are difficult to anticipate, I think it is easier just to set it approx., take a test cut, then tweak to size.

Cheers Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Hey Cliff,

Per some of our emails back and forth on this subject I wanted to let folks on here know that I'm working on a concept that will be electrical in nature (visual and audible indication) however will not tie into PathPilot (for now). The design is a three point contact probe that you would apply an offset to to get tool X+ / X- and Z axis.

My thought is that once you have a known offset recipe (with correction for spring and such that Cliff's talked about), say for cutting aluminum, you could come down, make contact and enter the tool offset for that recipe from there. The only tool I'm really struggling with is one for cutting the backside of a part. All others I've got working reasonably well. Works great if you have a turret. I'm trying to make a smaller version that would be more suited to tools that are close to each other like gang tool drills.

I'm not ready to show up my skirt just quite yet but if you follow me on Instagram (CoolCNCStuff_) you will be the first to see it. I'm getting real close!!!

Later,
    Thanks! I look forward to your progress reports. Cheers Cliff

Page 1 of 2 12