585,698 active members*
3,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

is it possible to convert a CNC router to laser cutter?

I have a lightningcnc 5x10 router table, is it possible to convert to laser? I just started doing some research but cant fine any basic information..

any help is very appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: is it possible to convert a CNC router to laser cutter?

You can`t convert router to a laser.
    Laser is a device that emits coherent radiation.

You may convert router to laser plotter.
    But first you need to learn some.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Cinematic, I think it's rather obvious that what he meant isn't converting a router INTO a laser, but instead a CNC router system to USE a laser...

And yes you can.
    What are you looking to cut litleboy? That will determine the power requirement of the laser you need.

yes topdecking, I have no idea about laser systems, I was wondering if its like adding a laser hardware where the router is now. we cut mostly 1/8 to 1/2 acrylic.

Checkout existing lasers and see what they say they can cut. Then compare to the power requirement they show.
    There are some changes needed. Mostly in that you don't want to be moving the expensive and fragile laser tube around. But you could most likely mount one on the back of a gantry beam rather safely. Then it's simply a few little laser mirrors to bounce around the gantry to the front side, and a down reflector and focuser into the material.

My assumption is you will need roughly a 40-60W laser tube.

hello.
    I'm afraid it's difficult to convert the CNC router to a laser cutter..Because they are different systems.The laser cutter must control the laser line well ,it needs at least three mirror and 1 focus lens.The laser tube is also important.If you need cut ,i recommend you to buy a laser.Chinese laser cutter is very cheap .You also can learn more about the laser cutter.
    Best regards,
    Emily
    Jinan SPC Laser Co,Ltd
    mail:[email protected] MSN:[email protected] Skype;emily.zhang189

can any one post a link to the different options, I tried searching on ebay but I dont even know what I'm looking for.. I really appreciate your time guys.

Look at instructables Page

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

thunderlaser Guest

Hi Litleboy
    I don't recommend you transformation a CNC router to a laser cutter.
    There is so difficult and it will takes you so many times. especially if you not very know the structure of the laser machine
    I recommend you are considering to buy a new laser machine.
    Firstly, i suggest you can learn more knowledge about the laser or how it works with the laser machine, at the same time what kind of work it can be done.
    Could you please takes a little times to visit our company website about the laser machine instructions before you transformation a CNC router to a laser cutter.
    Just click here enter our company website:
    Thunderlaser- leading provider of laser cutter and laser engraver from China

Any questions, please contact with us freely by send a email to [email protected]

Sincerely
    Tom
    Thunderlaser- leading provider of laser cutter and laser engraver from China

after some research, in theory it is possible to convert a CNC router system to Laser, the system that moves the laser beam is the same that moves the router, just need to drop the laser system itself, laser tube, power supply, mirrors. and controller for beam. my problem is that my table is 5'x10' I would have to reflect the laser almost 10'.

- - - Updated - - -

?

Put the laser on a gantry.
    If you set it vertically you do not need any mirrors. Just lens.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

I guess its doable...

I would really like to find a multi-tool cnc router/spindle with laser head. But one for production instead of hobbyist toy. Two very popular tools but surprisingly you dont find much of anything on the market?

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    You can`t convert router to a laser.
    Laser is a device that emits coherent radiation.

You may convert router to laser plotter.
    But first you need to learn some.
    Really? That is all you have to add? You should refrain from replying if you just want to be arrogant

Quote Originally Posted by litleboy View Post
    I have a lightningcnc 5x10 router table, is it possible to convert to laser? I just started doing some research but cant fine any basic information..

any help is very appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes you can.. and for anyone else whose looking to do this.
    M03/M05 or M016/M107 can turn the laser on and off and use an S command for intensity. S command is 0-255. I would try to stick with a solid state type laser to work out the details, then go to a more expensive COs laser for the final. I originally did this with an old CNCrouterparts desktop machine and mach3. i believe i used M5 to turn the laser on and off in the g code. I will also add that its a pain to do this.

This is an old thread however the concept of double duty between a cnc router, a laser cutter and sometimes a 3D printer keeps coming up.
    Although anything can be done, most cnc routers are built with sufficient mass to cut wood. As a laser cutter that’s ok for normal vector laser cutting but will make it very difficult in raster engraving cuts. Same for 3D printing. Sure you could go with a far lighter duty cnc design, and a low watt laser head, but the machine is not optimal to machine wood, laser cut wood and might not do well at engraving cuts. This doesn’t get into the controller differences between machine types.
    I guess a machine like that could be built but it wouldn’t have the range of these three dedicated machines. If I had to pick one machine it would be a laser cutter/engraver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    This is an old thread however the concept of double duty between a cnc router, a laser cutter and sometimes a 3D printer keeps coming up.
    Although anything can be done, most cnc routers are built with sufficient mass to cut wood. As a laser cutter that’s ok for normal vector laser cutting but will make it very difficult in raster engraving cuts. Same for 3D printing. Sure you could go with a far lighter duty cnc design, and a low watt laser head, but the machine is not optimal to machine wood, laser cut wood and might not do well at engraving cuts. This doesn’t get into the controller differences between machine types.
    I guess a machine like that could be built but it wouldn’t have the range of these three dedicated machines. If I had to pick one machine it would be a laser cutter/engraver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree for the most part. I disagree with not doing double duty desktop cnc router/laser. I did it for several years. it worked pretty good. just had to tweak the G code in my post processor to turn laser on and off. it was a pain and not optimal. in a pinch it would work for a hobbyist. I would by no means do it in a commercial shop.