585,883 active members*
5,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Lead. Its heavy - has anyone CNC pocketed a mould for it?

Lead. Its heavy - has anyone CNC pocketed a mould for it?

I have some double hung windows to make. Require 8 weights, and hows this, an 11kg sash weight here in NZ is around $120. Lead from the scrap dealer is $3kg......

I reckon I am going to pocket out a mould and make my own weights. I was originally going to use alloy because I can machine that easily with my diy router. But, does anyone have a better idea for a medium to pocket out, easy enough to machine, easy enough to purchase for cheap, and would withstand moulten lead???

You know what? I was even thinking about using Jarrah. The timber is so hard, I can tap a metric thread into it.

Re: Lead. Its heavy - has anyone CNC pocketed a mould for it?

Why don't you try to use a cardboard tube for the mould. Cut the tube to the correct length, maybe use a wooden plug in the bottom and puor the led in. You can also use an eye bolt placed in the top of the tube instead of machining a hole.

The melting temp of the led is low enough that I would bet that the cardboard will not combust.

Take a look at this.
    So, you can't put the lead directly in the cardboard, you should line it with aluminum foil or aluminum tape first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7xxNplL9g

Since lead melts at 612 degrees F and cardboard burns at about 450F, I'd be reluctant to trust a cardboard tube as a mold for lead, even if it was lined with foil. It would be safer to heat up some pieces of appropriate-sized steel pipe to drive off any residual water, plant them in a bucket of dry sand, and fill them with the lead. You can drill them for wire handles after it cools. Avoid touching the lead or breathing the fumes as it melts.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I've seen videos on YouTube of guys using wooden molds to make fishing weights.

Let know which way you go...and post up pictures.

Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Since lead melts at 612 degrees F and cardboard burns at about 450F, I'd be reluctant to trust a cardboard tube as a mold for lead, even if it was lined with foil. It would be safer to heat up some pieces of appropriate-sized steel pipe to drive off any residual water, plant them in a bucket of dry sand, and fill them with the lead. You can drill them for wire handles after it cools. Avoid touching the lead or breathing the fumes as it melts.
    Not what I have found. Even the EXPERTS on the video said it would work. LOL. To each his own, but you make some good points.

Lead's also really easy to mould up with plaster of paris - make a template out of whatever, a thin layer of plaster and then a couple of layers of plaster soaked newspaper strips. Do one half, vaseline coat the interface and do the other half. Leave it a few days to dry, then bury it in a bucket of sand and fill with lead. The sand supports it and acts as a safety catch-all in case of leaks.