584,826 active members*
5,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas standard coolant filter

I came across an older type coolant filter; the one that has the plastic bowl and was wondering where I could find some info on it. I have searched high and low but I can't seem to find any info on this type at all. Everything I see relates to the newer style cast aluminum style filter. Does anyone know anything about the plastic bowl type filters and how they were plumbed? Thanks for the help!

Re: Haas standard coolant filter

do you have any pictures? There has been a few different styles over the years; some that came with the machines within a certain period of time, but some were paid options that you had to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    do you have any pictures? There has been a few different styles over the years; some that came with the machines within a certain period of time, but some were paid options that you had to buy.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can snap a pic and post it up.

It took a little while but I finally got a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coolant filter.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by lin842 View Post
    It took a little while but I finally got a pic.
    As I said, I've looked all over and can't find anything like this. The only thing I find is the cast aluminum filter with the bag filter for the new machines built after 2015.

As I said, I've looked all over and can't find anything like this. The only thing I find is the cast aluminum filter with the bag filter for the new machines built after 2015.

Try McMaster Carr and type in "water filters" in the search field.

looks like the same as the grease bowl on a VF6, id imagine its the same thread as well.

Yep it's the typical size water filters that you can buy from mcmaster.
    Here's the woven filter replacement: 4411K234
    Here's the pleated paper filter replacement: 7191K11

Those are both 20-micron filters which is (or was) the factory recommendation. I prefer the woven ones personally.
    If you're dealing with fine chips then I find they last a couple weeks, but if the coolant tank is reasonably clean then they can last a lot longer. However there's really no guarantee on the lifetime since the filters are pretty imprecise. Sometimes mine last 2 weeks, sometimes you get lucky and they last 2 months...yeesh

Yep it's the typical size water filters that you can buy from mcmaster.
    Here's the woven filter replacement: 4411K234
    Here's the pleated paper filter replacement: 7191K11

Those are both 20-micron filters which is (or was) the factory recommendation. I prefer the woven ones personally.
    If you're dealing with fine chips then I find they last a couple weeks, but if the coolant tank is reasonably clean then they can last a lot longer. However there's really no guarantee on the lifetime since the filters are pretty imprecise. Sometimes mine last 2 weeks, sometimes you get lucky and they last 2 months...yeesh
    I don't think we are talking about the same type of filter. I don't know if it is really a filter that's just what the guy at the plant called it. If you unscrew the plastic bowl with the wrench that is in the pic. You can see once it's off there is no cartridge on the inside. All that's inside is a stand pipe coming down from the center with a splash circular splash plate looking thing similar to what you would see in a regulator/ water or oil separator in an air line system. to the left of the bowl there is a rectangular shaped aluminum manifold thing that has several air and water in and output ports. There are no id numbers written or stamped on the housing anywhere that I have been able to find a match for only the two Haas logo's that are stamped in the aluminum manifold.

ooh it's definitely the same part I'll attach a picture, although you can't see the manifold because it's hidden behind the bowl on this machine. Your setup is from one year newer than this machine so it doesn't have the same nice mounting bracket.

In your picture, the coolant pump outlet hose connects at the right, then the manifold on the left goes out to the various parts of the machine (spindle tower coolant, but also the washdown hose and the Y-axis saddle nozzle).
    Naturally you don't strictly *need* a filter inside the bowl, it'll work fine without it like most of the older machines still being used, but with no filter it would just act like a liquid accumulator.

Here's a pic with the bowl off. I don't see how you could put an element in the bowl with that big hunk of SS in the way. I guess that's what was throwing me off. Anyway now I know. Thanks........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powder coat shop.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	425100

ooh it's definitely the same part I'll attach a picture, although you can't see the manifold because it's hidden behind the bowl on this machine. Your setup is from one year newer than this machine so it doesn't have the same nice mounting bracket.

In your picture, the coolant pump outlet hose connects at the right, then the manifold on the left goes out to the various parts of the machine (spindle tower coolant, but also the washdown hose and the Y-axis saddle nozzle).
    Naturally you don't strictly *need* a filter inside the bowl, it'll work fine without it like most of the older machines still being used, but with no filter it would just act like a liquid accumulator.

Could you share a link to where I could find information on these filters. I have looked all over and I can't find one. What kind of machine is in your pic you posted? And is this a standard type filter or is it an accessory item?

A few years later, and no filter at all provided!!!

Here's a pic with the bowl off. I don't see how you could put an element in the bowl with that big hunk of SS in the way. I guess that's what was throwing me off. Anyway now I know. Thanks........

I don't think a filter goes in there. It looks like a screen strainer and gravity trap. Chips go in, get tossed around, settle at the bottom and screened coolant goes out to the plumbing block. Not exactly a filter but, still nice to have. Otherwise those fines end up in the head casting and plug the passages. That's an ugly, stinky job to fix.
    Greg