584,805 active members*
5,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Yaskawa SigmaWin+ 5 and RS232 to USB adapter - any experience out there?

Yaskawa SigmaWin+ 5 and RS232 to USB adapter - any experience out there?

I'm trying to use Yaskawa SigmaWin+ 5 to communicate with SGDB drives. I've brought a rs232 to USB adaptor but plugging it into the drive and searching yields 0 drives found. I've tried tweaking the port settings to the settings in the manual but that doesn't help either. The manual makes note of a kind of yaskawa specific cable and it's no trouble to make one up but it doesn't look like it's any different to a standard null modem cable so I'd imagine it's no different than just plugging the adaptor directly into the drive.

Anyone got any experience with this kind of stuff? I've never had much to do with serial connections.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

Re: Yaskawa SigmaWin+ 5 and RS232 to USB adapter - any experience out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Stotheh View Post
    I'm trying to use Yaskawa SigmaWin+ 5 to communicate with SGDB drives. I've brought a rs232 to USB adaptor but plugging it into the drive and searching yields 0 drives found. I've tried tweaking the port settings to the settings in the manual but that doesn't help either. The manual makes note of a kind of yaskawa specific cable and it's no trouble to make one up but it doesn't look like it's any different to a standard null modem cable so I'd imagine it's no different than just plugging the adaptor directly into the drive.

Anyone got any experience with this kind of stuff? I've never had much to do with serial connections.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

I think you mean USB to RS232 adapter. First make sure that your USB>RS232 converter shows up in the device manager. Select a comm port.
    1st. You will need to set Comm port, baud rate, data length, and possible a stop bit and flow control.
    2nd Configure SIgmaWIN with same settings.

You will have something that looks like this: 2400 baud, 8 data bits, parity = none, stop bits = 1, flow control = none.

Start with a low baud rate to check connection.

Check all of the above first.

Iron-Man

Re: Yaskawa SigmaWin+ 5 and RS232 to USB adapter - any experience out there?

Thanks for the suggestion, tried adjusting the port settings, still no joy.