584,846 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Modelling a 2GT pulley in Inventor 2018

Hybrid View

Modelling a 2GT pulley in Inventor 2018

I would like to 3D print an 100 tooth pulley and have drawn it up in Inventor.

I've created a single tooth profile and have used the circular function to rotate it.

Sometimes when done I can extrude the sketch into a 3d part. Other times the sketch won't extrude.

Normally I would use the close loop function and walk my way around the line, but one tooth profile consists of 12 line segments and after using circular it's 1200 segments to walk over.

The sketch doctor seems to take forever to run and when it's done, it takes a long time to exit out of sketch mode.

I suspect this is because of the 1200 segments.

Is there a way to combine the 12 segments into 1 before using the circular function?

Are there other approaches I can take?

Thanks,

Arjay

Re: Modelling a 2GT pulley in Inventor 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    I would like to 3D print an 100 tooth pulley and have drawn it up in Inventor.

I've created a single tooth profile and have used the circular function to rotate it.

Sometimes when done I can extrude the sketch into a 3d part. Other times the sketch won't extrude.

Normally I would use the close loop function and walk my way around the line, but one tooth profile consists of 12 line segments and after using circular it's 1200 segments to walk over.

The sketch doctor seems to take forever to run and when it's done, it takes a long time to exit out of sketch mode.

I suspect this is because of the 1200 segments.

Is there a way to combine the 12 segments into 1 before using the circular function?

Are there other approaches I can take?

Thanks,

Arjay
    Did you have the Drawing for the GT 2 Profile, the GT series profile is very complex, so I doubt that you have the tooth profile correct
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Did you have the Drawing for the GT 2 Profile, the GT series profile is very complex, so I doubt that you have the tooth profile correct
    The prodile I'm using is attached, but my question is about the difficulty in inventor, not whether the belt fits after I print the part. Sure, printing a pulley that fits a belt is my ultimate goal but I can adjust the profile as necessary to make it fit if I can extrude in Inventor to begin with. Do you have any suggestions on overcoming the Inventor issue?

The prodile I'm using is attached, but my question is about the difficulty in inventor, not whether the belt fits after I print the part. Sure, printing a pulley that fits a belt is my ultimate goal but I can adjust the profile as necessary to make it fit if I can extrude in Inventor to begin with. Do you have any suggestions on overcoming the Inventor issue?
    Yes good luck with that Profile as it is nothing like the real spec's for these timing pulleys, and the profile changes by the number of teeth, just the same as if you where to cut Gear teeth, which have different gear cutters or hobs as the number of teeth change, just giving you a heads up before you get to much into the design, I saw what you where asking, but new you would have more problems than just the 360 software

What you find on the internet is just some very rough numbers for the belts, the Pulley Profile is quite different and are not advertised as Gates have patents in place that cover the use of there intellectual property
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes good luck with that Profile as it is nothing like the real spec's for these timing pulleys, and the profile changes by the number of teeth, just the same as if you where to cut Gear teeth, which have different gear cutters or hobs as the number of teeth change, just giving you a heads up before you get to much into the design, I saw what you where asking, but new you would have more problems than just the 360 software

What you find on the internet is just some very rough numbers for the belts, the Pulley Profile is quite different and are not advertised as Gates have patents in place that cover the use of there intellectual property
    I have resolved the Inventor issues with close loop and the sketch doctor.

As for the proprietary Gates profile and the variation with dimensions based on number of teeth, it turns out that I am interested only in printing two 100 tooth pulleys that fit the Chinese GT2 belt that I have. I 3D printed a sample 100 tooth ring and tried the belt on it. The belt follows the profile quite nicely.

I have resolved the Inventor issues with close loop and the sketch doctor.

As for the proprietary Gates profile and the variation with dimensions based on number of teeth, it turns out that I am interested only in printing two 100 tooth pulleys that fit the Chinese GT2 belt that I have. I 3D printed a sample 100 tooth ring and tried the belt on it. The belt follows the profile quite nicely.
    Are yes the Chinese copy is not the same as the Gates GT series
    Mactec54