584,829 active members*
5,087 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics P1 skipping tool change in DNC

Milltronics P1 skipping tool change in DNC

Hi everyone,

I have a Partner 1H with the 12 tool umbrella changer. I'm trying to run a program that is too big for the machine memory using DNC from "disk" (which is now a usb floppy emulator, works great for transfering files, no issues with it). I've also tried loading to "ram" with the same results. The problem is, the program starts, runs the first tool correctly (if that's the one in the spindle already or it loads the correct one if the spindle was empty). Then it will go to the tool change position, pause for a few seconds with the spindle still on, then continue with the program without ever changing the tool. After halting the program, I can not do an MDI tool change either, until i shut the machine completely off and restart. Then everything works like it should. Also everything works fine when running smaller programs from the normal program storage in the control. Only have issues when trying to DNC. It's not a code issue, same CAM, same post as I normally use and I verified the tool change is in the actual program.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Re: Milltronics P1 skipping tool change in DNC

What mother board do you have is it a 486 or 386 from factory and how much ram does it have? Also what software version? send screen shots of this info and we can give you a possible solution.

I believe these should have all of the info. I also noticed that when it goes to do a tool change during DNC, I don't see it run through the TC macro like it does when I'm running from the machine memory. I'm guessing it can't find it for some reason when in DNC??

post your code for the file you are drip feeding to see if that is the problem, I am assuming you use a cad cam app to generate the code? how big is it in megabytes? i

I'll post some code tomorrow afternoon when I'm back at the computer. Pesky day job getting in the way... I'm using Fusion 360 for cad/cam, same post etc, that works great when not in DNC. Well, kind of works great... makes WAY too much code and starves the machine, but that's another issue for another thread lol.

Files are 80-130 KB. Seems if I get much over 80kb it wont fit in machine memory.

I don't know about the running DNC and tool change issues as my old machine is a manual tool changer and I never had any problems running DNC with tool changes as the M06 just pauses the machine until you push start again. With Chris's (my son by the way) machine it runs a macro for the tool changer, I suspect it might need to be located somewhere the control can see when it's running DNC.

Related to this issue, as the problem really crops up because Fusion writes programs that are thousands of lines to get around a simple oval/ellipse and then he can't run these in memory. Last night I coded the outside path of the part using Sheetcam and the program to go around the perimeter of the ellipse is 37 lines long and that includes a relief dip for a hole. Chris say's his machine is still slowing down like it's choking on code around the smaller ends of the ellipse. I put the program in my mill, granted I recently converted it to a Centroid control, but it zipped around the part at 40ipm and then I tried 100ipm and it still rips right around the path.

So my question is, shouldn't his control be able to handle a 1.5" x .800" ellipse without stuttering around the part at 40ipm? I had him try inserting a G64 (cutting mode) at the beginning of the program instead of G61, which is exact stop mode. So far no luck. We had run into another program a month or so back where the Fusion code caused the machine to jerk and make abrupt moves to the point where we thought something was wrong with it, I think we re-coded using different software and the part ran pretty good. Is it possible there are acceleration/deceleration parameters that might be out of whack? His following errors are good and the machine has almost no backlash.

My experience with a P1E 386Dx40 1993 era machine based control as the memory limitations are very limited, I have a P1H 1995 that had a 486 control and was also limited with the ridiculous ram requirements of Fusion. either get used to learning Milltronics conversational as they have an ellipse example or straight Gcode as Brian has much experience with, or solicit Milltronics If you can do a SBC and backplane upgrade to get at least a 1 GZ dos processor Sbc backplane replacement with at least 256 mb ram, I have 512 ram on both my SBC diy upgrades . They have allowed me to get software upgrades for $525 for first one P1E 6 years ago and $650 last year for a C6 conrtol upgrade from an EBay purchase for My P1H wich was a C5 originally with support for trouble shooting install.

I find the Milltronics path as the most cost effective as I have no limitations on Macros and file length yet both upgrades so far and have been able to run 4.25 Megabyte files from ram drives set up thru dos transferred on network , verses Centroid unlimited file cost option for all in one Dc and digitizing option costs

I was fortunate to purchase a digiscan 2 probe and software, for $450 and its not as fancy as Centroid but works well in my shop, but for a closed loop controller centroids option costs are very high.

I have not dealt with Milltronic's since April of last year so that may have changed since then.

Also do you want to trust your parts to a win 10 based controller?

Brian What options do you have on the Allin one Marty installed on your Partner?

Sorry for rant but the Milltronics I believe is a solid controller if you can upgrade computer. and is not held hostage to win 10's upgrade issues.

I had upgraded my Milltronics to a 2gb CF card and Chris is about to upgrade also, so that should help with at least being able to run DNC from memory and not over a cable.

My Centroid has unlimited file length, a wireless MPG, and the tool length setter, which might include the probing, I don't know as I don't have a probe. I can't remember what other "unlocks" I have, but nothing fancy. As for updates on Windows 10, first, I don't run the machines computer with a connection to the internet, so I don't do any Windows updates unless I want to plug in my wifi and do them.

Also, the aspect of Windows 10, it's just the GUI, the interface between you and the machine. The actual motion control is done by the All in One DC, so as long as they upgrade the GUI to run on whatever new version of windows as comes down the road, I see no issue. Also, all the newer Fanuc, Seimens and other name brands, ar running the same Windows front end with their own motion control behind the scenes.

The Milltronics software is a well thought out and designed software, I've been running CNC since the late 70's and a bunch of different controls, Milltronics doesn't take a back seat to any of them in my eyes. I just had the opportunity to upgrade and get away from the file size limitations and get "new" servo's and control hardware.

I attached a copy of the file I was trying to run in DNC. It has been trimmed down in size by increasing my tolerance and smoothing values so it would run from memory (not DNC), but otherwise its the same as far as the tool change callouts etc. It's much better than before, but it still stutters going around corners, even when I drop the feedrate way down. I guess that's just one of the downsides of trying to run an older machine with code from a modern CAD/CAM software. I'm not jumping up and down about learning the conversational side of the control, as I understand G-code better, although still nowhere near as well as my dad. Fortunately I have a great resource when I have questions.

I do like the Centurion control a lot actually, I think they have a lot of features that controls of the same era (and even a lot of newer machines) were lacking and I personally think its pretty user friendly. Most all of my past experience has been with Fanuc, which I don't think is as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I don't have any reason to do away with it, but I wouldn't mind tweaking/upgrading it some to get the most I can out of it. Marty will be helping me in a couple weeks with a few minor things as far as that goes. It's interesting that your (RL49) 1995 P1H is a 486 and mine is a 386 (same year). Especially since mine has a 10k spindle, and AC servos, which seem to be upgrades. I guess Motorola skimped on the control when they bought it new (assuming it was even an option), or maybe Milltronics just happened to switch over somewhere between my machine and yours. Mine is S/N 2989. I wouldn't mind doing the SBC upgrade someday, although last I read Milltronics wanted a pretty good chunk of change to do it through them. The DIY route might be an option if I can gather up the info on what components to pick up. I do like the centroid setup my dad has, and I THINK it may be even less expensive for me since I can use the OAK instead of the AllinoneDC, so that might be an option depending on how it prices out compared to Milltronics. That's a bridge to cross a long way down the road though, I need to make some money with this thing before I start worrying about new controls.

My P1H is serial # 2763, I am quite sure someone did the upgrade motherboard before I purchased it

Looking at your program, it appears that the code for the ellipse is broken down into about .002" or less moves, no wonder the machine starves and stutters. The code I posted for you was all of about 37 lines to go around the ellipse and only a couple of moves were down around .002" long, the rest were arcs in the .100+ or longer range. Still have no idea as to why it wouldn't tool change though.

The tool changer issue is most likely a "in position" error. check the following error and see if it hanging up at .005

When it comes to SBC updates you should all call me. I have the answers.

I even have my "Super" SBC update, it allows the use of a 2GB HOT swappable thumb drive in a DOS OS. Yep, I can do it!

For others that run upto about 4.5MB programs I have my UNZIP program,

Call me.
    Sportybob

Bob M
    952-288-6340

Try turning on the arc filters in the cadcam.

sportybob