585,705 active members*
4,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Cooling computer enclosure

I am reading about 110 (F) on my PC bios setup screen, which is probably too hot to run a PC. Normally all my machines run in an air conditioned house, but this one must be in the garage, where my CNC milling setup is. There is a clean enclosure with an exhaust fan to prevent the "shop-filth" from entering the computer, motor drivers, and other circuitry.

I tried installing more fans in the case, then tried removing the outside panel to allow more airflow, with no difference at all.

My machine appears to be running very hot and simply locks-up during operation. Is there anyone running PC's in a hot garage? Any success stories?
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

If you have a heat exchanger..take the outside fans off and run a 110 window airconditioner thru it.

I really don't think 110 deg is that hot tho.

BTW are you talking about a CNC or a pc?

I would agree 110F (43c) is not that high for a PC enclosure.
    Thats a little above ambient here in the summer.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ok running an air conditioner would probably do the trick but, its not workable.

I am running a cnc setup. The computer, controllers, and otherwise circuitry are installed in a clean enclosure in the garage with two exhaust fans.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

I once had a PC locking up randomly, and the culprit ended up being the CPU fan turning itself on and off, because of the little plug on the M'Board not being seated properly, those intermittent faults are the most "fun" to find...

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I would agree 110F (43c) is not that high for a PC enclosure.
    Thats a little above ambient here in the summer.
    Al.
    And I always thought that Canada was freezing cold all year long...might just have to visit one year (in the summer of course )

110F is a little chilly for us but I can bring some warm clothing

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    And I always thought that Canada was freezing cold all year long...might just have to visit one year (in the summer of course )
    Thats just a ploy to prevent the Aussie's coming over an over-fishing our pristine lakes.

Actually I tracked down a 3rd gen. Aussie that is a distant cousin of mine in Melbourne, he has invited me over, but I am a bit reluctant, I hear you guys do not drink much beer over there. TIC
    Al.

Albert E.

I will have to take a thermometer to the heat-sink and check for sure what the temprature is. I checked it after it was off for a while, using the bios utility, so I dont know how accurate it was. I know it is 105 (F) outside, its hotter in the garage - in the enclosure, and the heat-sink is bearable to touch for about 4 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Thats just a ploy to prevent the Aussie's coming over an over-fishing our pristine lakes.

Actually I tracked down a 3rd gen. Aussie that is a distant cousin of mine in Melbourne, he has invited me over, but I am a bit reluctant, I hear you guys do not drink much beer over there. TIC
    Al.
    Not too sure about the fishing, might get confusing, you guys call your fish funny names...though the scenery is spectacular.

As for the beer drinking, maybe you need to come over and show us how

Sorry for the thread hi-jack DrStein (chair)

Russell.

Hey its ok - talk about whatever you want here. I'm going to go find an Austrailian fishing forum and see if those guys know how to cool down a computer - lol.

Is the garage attached to the house?

Todays processors run extremely hot, I would say if you are concerned about a temperature that is not far from ambient, then you are going to have to use other methods such as air exchanger/air cond. unit etc.
    I have installed many in-house designed PC based systems in all kinds of industrial environments (most non-airconditioned) and so far have not had to resort to any other cooling than positive pressure enclosure by using fans and filters.
    Al.

Sorry for the earlier H.J.

Albert E.

Yes it is. I cant do any trickey duct-work, or punch holes in the wall if thats what your thinking, this is a rental property.

Can you mount a Peltier device in the wall of the enclosure? Cold side inside with a heatsink and fan to pick up heat from the interior air, warm side outside again with a heat sink and fan to dissipate the heat into the garage.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

That device looks like it may be very useful on the CPU itself, and also possibly the harddrive. I have seen them before available at surplus stores, but never worked with them.

I do believe the unit works directly with the metal next to it, so as to cool a device, but probably wouldnt work for the entire enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStein99 View Post
    ....I do believe the unit works directly with the metal next to it, so as to cool a device, but probably wouldnt work for the entire enclosure.
    They often get used with the processor on one side and the heat sink on the other. This just increases the heatsink temperature further above ambient so it can dissipate more per unit area.

However, you can use them to cool a box; the solid state coolers to plug into the cigarette lighter socket in your car that you could get to chill your beer use a Peltier device. Even Australian beer drinkers are probably familiar with these .

Here you are, if adapting a beer cooler is too uncouth get a winecooler.

http://www.beercooler.com/why_keg.html

http://oneclickappliances.com/catalog/-p-23388.html

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?CatId=499&
    If it's the PC your worried about that should cool anything.
    If it's the CNC control
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=23937267
    I would warn you..if you plan on cooling any electronics with chilled air,make sure you put a bag of silica gell in the cabinet.
    Especialy if you use a heat exchanger,the air on the cold side of the exchanger will be cold enough to create condensation inside the cabinet.

The CPU on a PC will normaly run about 125-140 deg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazaholic View Post
    Yes but you need an 8cfm compressor to run it. I think my modified wine cooler is funkier , and quieter.

Page 1 of 2 12