585,885 active members*
6,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Auto Tool Changer

Hey Guys, I would like to share my tool changer project with you. I have been working on this off and on for the last few months in-between production runs for my business. I have a RF45 style machine that I converted and now use to build parts for my fishing lure business. I have been using this tool changer in production for a while and It has been very reliable and made our business more productive. I have wanted a tool changer for a long time, but no kits are available. At one point I was going to buy a Tormach and get the Tool changer as an option. But the tool changer feature is around 5K. And as a new start up we just don’t have the resources for something like that.

The tool changer has been working really well. I have been using it in my production runs and love being able to just forget about the machine. As a reliability test I wrote G-Code that would perform 500 random tool changes and just let it rip for a few hours. It takes about 11-12 seconds to make a tool change, which can be sped up by adjusting the MACH 3 Settings.

https://youtu.be/R7_zaeu7sWA

My goals when building this tool changer were:

1. Reliability, Reliability, Reliability – If figure if you cant’ trust it, what good is it. To improve the reliability I have implemented a extend/retract sensor that integrates with the mach3 macro. And I will be adding an air pressure sensor which the macro is ready to accept. If you have flood coolant on your machine, you should not use induction proximity sensors. If you don’t use flood coolant an inductive proximity sensor will work. I originally used inductive style but coolant would occasionally splash the sensors and cause the sensors to signal a false positive until the were cleaned off.

2. Flexibility – I wanted the design to be very flexible/adjustable so that it could be used on a wide variety of benchtop machines without complex modifications. Since most DIY/Converted CNCs are all different this is a must. The current design allows for significant adjustments so that it can fit most all popular mills(G0704, PM25, RF45, PM 727, PM 940, Tormach, etc.). The two most critical areas of adjustment for are:
    a. ATC extend/retract distance and position. This is the distant that the ATC slides on the rails along the X axis of the machine. This ATC has a 7 inch travel, which gives a good margin of clearance so the Umbrella does not interfere with the Head. Plus the slide is longer than the required travel which lets the user easily adjust the final position. This will work with machines that have a head that is less than 10” wide.
    b. Y Axis position when extended – I machined slots into the ATC column mounting block so there are lots of adjustment possible when you mount to the column. Since adding a column/head spacer is really popular, this flexibility is important.

3. Ease Of Use – I designed in a lot of features that make installing/maintaining the tool changer easy and straight forward. I have used CNC kits in the past, that were very hard to use and get working reliably. I did not want this to be a jig saw puzzle that was ultra difficult to assemble. In addition, all screws are easy to access.

The carrousel is designed like a pizza, and the gaps between the tool forks are very small. Most other benchtop style machines have large gaps around to tool forks that can let coolant and chips contaminate the Shank of your TTS style tool holders.

The installation/set up of the tool changer was actually really easy. To install the tool changer, I only had to drill and tap four ¼-20 holes in the side on my column so the mounting plate could attach to the column. Other than that, no other manipulation was required to the Mill or the ATC parts. Installation and set up only took about 2.5 hours once all my parts were completed. I will make a Youtube video of me assembling and setting up the machine in the near future.

To control the ATC I am using the Mach 3 ATC Screen sets made by CNC4RX7. Sam has been very helpful though out the process. With the Addition of Sam’s screen set my tool changer feels like a commercially available ATC solution and not you average DIY CNC build that is a mish most of stuff. I am sure there a similar macro’s screen sets for linux and path pilot I just have not used those yet.

The current chip guard/umbrella is still a hand fabricated rough proto type. I have the design for the final version that will incorporate a rotating door. These will be cut on niehbors water jet later this week.

I do not currently have the Air blast that clears the tool shanks. This is a simple add, but so far has not been necessary. When I complete my final chip guard/umbrella I will add the additional air blast.

From a build standpoint this was one of the most difficult CNC projects that I have undertaken. My Fusion design has been saved 110 times. There were 13 unique parts to design and machine, and 23 parts in total. With several of the parts require multiple setups to access all sides. All parts were made on the mill except the Spindle which was made on my lathe.

I would like to make few more of these? should I try and build these as a kit?

Re: Auto Tool Changer

Excellent job done on that mate
    Very impressive.

I've got a spare spindle from a mini mill crying out to be used on a carousel for one of these.
    Look forward to seeing a video in the future

A kit would be really cool, and depending on price I might be interested in buying one for my G0704.

Probably all the machined parts, components, and macro should be included, with exception of maybe the stepper. They are easy to come by.

The chip guard looks great, I honestly though you were using a pie pan or something bought from a store.

Send me a PM with details if you want.

The chip guard is a pan that came from amazon prime. They are very light gauge aluminum. And the Aluminum is extra soft so it isn't really an ideal long term solution. Because the aluminum is so light, it is difficult to work with and not damage it. For now it works good. But I think a true long term solution will require something that is heavier duty. My friend has a metal fab shop, and he is going to help me with that.

It would make the most sense to include everything that isn't electrical(pulleys, belts, rails, machined parts, AC bearings, cable drag chain, air cylinder, pneumatic quick connect fittings). You would then need to provide your own proximity sensors, stepper motor, solenoids, and relays. These electronics are all easy to acquire and inexpensive. Depending on your current controller there are situation specific considerations to ensure compatabiity. I would assist is selecting the appropriate electrical components.

The Mach 3 screen set is made by CNC4XR7. He sells them on his web page. That screen set is worth every penny. Makes it really easy to set up and operate the tool changer.

Why do you think the cover isn't a good long term solution? Does it do anything but deflect the chips that make their way up there?

I am going to remake the umbrella chip guard out of a heavier metal. I am worried there could be reliability issues when the retractable door is added.

Very impressive, good job!

RT

I like it, nice job, well executed.
    Selling a kit at a price that’s affordable and still makes you money may be tough???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I built the tool changer I originally wanted it for personal use. I have a second business that manufactures high end fishing lures. and I just got tired of changing tools. Additionally I really like to machine and design new items, I have ADHD and always need a problem to solve. Me and my wife are a two man band and anything I can do to free my time up is really critical. I try and view the mill as an employee, and it wasn't a very good one if I had to constantly change the tools. I have been using the ATC for a while now to build parts for my lures. I love it. It is like a whole new world. Our through put has went way up. And I spend a lot less time standing in front of the machine or near the machine, which lets me spend more time focusing on selling.

I originally didn't think a kit would be feasible as I was unsure I would be able to get reliable results. But I have been extremely impressed with the results, I now have no doubts about reliability, it is impressive.

At the end of the day, it took me a lot of effort to design the changer, and build it. I like to think I am smarter than the average bear, but it still was a challenge. There are 13 unique parts, some of which require multiple setups, or special work holding. And 23 Parts in total. During the build i went through 3 design iterations to improve the performance. Plus there are two moving assemblies which need to be controlled, which just adds to the complexity. I like to think of the tool changer as the simplest most complicated part there is on a mill. "all it does is spin and slide, right?"

I think the goal would be less than half of a Tormach tool changer after the end user purchases the required electronic equipment(Stepper motor, proximity sensors, relays, solenoids). The kit would include all the mechanical parts required. To install the ATC, the user would need to assemble the changer and drill and tap 4x 1/4-20 into the column. Alignment and setting up the tool changer is easy due to the flexible design. I would expect total installed time to be 3-5 hours from unboxing to tool changes, depending on skill level and current electronics set up. If this is something you would be interested in, please send me a PM and we can have a call to discuss your current set up and what it would take to get you up and running.

Great work on your design! I have a different mill model but have been thinking about building an ATC for it. I would have to adapt a lot of your design to my particular machine and controller. I may or may not be interested in a kit, but at the very least I would definitely be interested in purchasing design/CAD files and a BoM.

Nice job for sure!