584,833 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UCCNC for Plasma

I've discovefred making Gcode for plasma is not as simple as creating Gcode for, say a CNC router. Rapids on plasma requirethe torch to be shut off before moving, unlike a spindle.

if I create a file in DXF and try to make gcode in the UCCNC utility, it makes a mess of the data, If I create the code in Cam Bam, I have to hand edit relay commands and pauses, all of which is too prone to error.

Anyone using an open source drawing program to cut simple shapes with plasma? How do you make usable Gcode from drawings?
    Thanks in advance

Re: UCCNC for Plasma

There are probably open source packages that can do this. There have been several large open source updates recently but I am not a user of laser/plasma machines.

If the operational needs of laser/plasma are similar have a look at a very inexpensive product suite called "SimplyCam". It includes modules for SimplyLaser and SimplyTurn as well as the standard router module. Modules are called by name from the same software package. You can download it and try full features without a licence to see if it can do what your need before deciding if you want a license (about $50.00).

The only limits of the unregistered version is you can't save a drawing and it will only generate about a 100 lines of G-code but other than that it is fully functional.

You can have a look at the following web site: MR-Soft Nc Software Tools

I am not affiliated with them except for being a very happy customer for many years :-)

Let us know if it is useful. One day I'll get a laser machine...

It is not free, but not too expensive and is a great CAM software for plasma and UCCNC, called SheetCAM, look it up.

I second you taking a look at sheetcam. One of the best (if not the best) for plasma toolpath creation. The ability to set start points where you want, lead in/outs, pierce delay, pierce height, cut height and more. Well worth the very fair price of the software.

I'm hoping to find something like CamBam... Any ideas? Sheet cam makes no sense to me. Can I draw with it?

Quote Originally Posted by garym1957 View Post
    I'm hoping to find something like CamBam... Any ideas? Sheet cam makes no sense to me. Can I draw with it?
    Sheetcam has a bit of a learning curve but its very efficient.

There are 3 parts to manufacturing: CAD, CAM and CNC
    Sheetcam is the CAM part of the equation, your machine is the CNC part but you need something like Inkscape or Solidworks etc to manage the CAD part.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au